mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Epic seatpost - layback or not?

I've got an 08 Epic Expert and want to get a Thomson seatpost for it. I've noticed the carbon Epics have layback Thomson posts but the cheaper Epics like mine have straight Specialized posts. Should I get an inline or layback Thomson?

mtbr member
    Depends on you.... Ride the bike and you will know if you need more room or more weight on the back wheel.
    Try and slide your saddle as far back in the stock post and that should be close to a layback Thomson (Close not the same) The stock Spec post clamps a little further back then a regular Thomson.
    I have a regular Thomson on my Expert size Med. fits just right

Good luck
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    I have a layback Thomson on my medium '07 Epic. Like Phierce stated, it will most likely depend on you. I'm guessing that with it's steep seattube angle and me being slightly big for the medium (slightly small for the large so I had to choose), the layback fits me just right so my knee axis is over the pedal axis with the seatpost in the middle of the saddle rails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The reason why the cheaper specialized steatposts are not laid back is because if you look at the very top of the seatpost the actual head is offset. The thomson seatpost is made differently so it has the be laidback to get the same offset. I went with a thomson laidback but I prefer a longer toptube more aggresive xc riding position. More power on the uphills.

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004
    Decide based on your knee to pedal spindle relationship & how you feel heading downhill. I'm 5'11", 33" inseam & sleeve on a medium '08. I use the layback, have the saddle pushed as far back as possible & lengthened the stem from 90 to 105.
    wafflemaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0