mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Epic S-Works vs. Epic Marathon Carbon

On the fence here...any idea's on weight difference between the two?

mtbr member
    The weight difference is not going to be very big. The s-works will use a lighter, stiffer carbon, but I've ridden both and can tell no difference. I usually suggest buying the most bike you think you'll want, as it is cheaper to get it all as a package than try to upgrade. The big difference between these two I would say is the Crank and Wheels. XTR crank VS XT, I prefer XT. XTR looks pretty hand has some "street Cred", but for functionality and cost, the xt can't be beat. Wheel wise, the Roval's seem to be a very nice set. They are super light for mtb wheels and are tubeless ready. I've used their road wheels and the rear hub is nearly silent ( I prefer rediculously loud, but quiet can be nice). I would boil it down to two things, is the $1800 price difference worth having a slightly lighter bike and high resale value, or would you rather save the cash and spend it on specific parts you want to replace, if any. Good luck!

If your just buying the frame, get the Marathon and send me a check for the diffference!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boy_dinosaur
    If your just buying the frame, get the Marathon and send me a check for the diffference!

I have read some past posts about durabilty and flex issues regarding the Roval wheel set. I am 205 lbs, and have a Tricross Expert with Rovals that seem to flex a bit. This worries me a bit.

I am presently riding a 2004 Epic with a cross-max wheel set (SL I think?), and have really pounded the crap out of them with no problems except broken spokes. How does the Rovals compare to the Cross-max?

Thanks for the help

iRideSpesh
    Here is the difference....could do with an XTR crankset though..

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Ahhhhh, a fellow clyde! (I'm about 210) The crossmax's are very hard to beat. For stiffness, strength, and weight I believe they are the best mfg wheelset out there. If you're selling your old ones, don't spend the extra cash on the SLR's. The SL's are only a couple grams heavier and much less dough. With that said, crossmax wheels are considered by most to be a race wheelset in that they will require a little more TLC over the long run. If you have the cash to spend on the Crossmax's, you may consider having a pair of wheels built for you. A good set of handbuilt wheels won't weigh anymore than the Mavic's, you can mix and match rims and hubs, and spokes are much less expensive and easier to find if you do brake some. I highly recommend Chris King and Hope Hubs. King's are more expensive, but have VERY high bling factor. Both hubs could be considered loud. I currently have Hope and there is diffinitly no sneeking up on someone with them.