mtbr member
    May 2008

Epic s works SRAM cassette and chain recomendations

My stock 1099 cassette and KMC X10SL chain are pretty shot. Was wondering if I should replace with the same or something else....My bike is all XX components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Use xtr
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member

The problem with drivetrain components are that they're wear items, especially on a mountain bike

I'd go for something like a Shimano Deore XT or SRAM PG-1070 11-36 cassette and then a chain such as a Wipperman Connex 10s8. That will work ok and is far more economical for everyday riding.

You could always have a set of training wheels and then a set of race wheels also, saving wear on the expensive parts by using the training wheels most of the time.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I bet you put TONS of miles, on that milled-steel XX cassette and KMC chain. I'd like to see Titanium(XTR) get that kind of mileage...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The problem with drivetrain components are that they're wear items, especially on a mountain bike

I'd go for something like a Shimano Deore XT or SRAM PG-1070 11-36 cassette and then a chain such as a Wipperman Connex 10s8. That will work ok and is far more economical for everyday riding.

You could always have a set of training wheels and then a set of race wheels also, saving wear on the expensive parts by using the training wheels most of the time.
    Im sure your right. I was just looking for a good recomendation of cassette/chain for this bike. I have no issue putting a 1099 back on the bike if thats the best bet.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Im sure your right. I was just looking for a good recomendation of cassette/chain for this bike. I have no issue putting a 1099 back on the bike if thats the best bet.
    If you've got good life out of the exiting components replace like with like. I have found the XX cassette to be awesome, lighter than anything and very good life. I've got no reasons to change. I do use the 1091R SRAM chain and also find that to be excellent - I am getting around 1500kms on a chain.

BTW you should invest in a chain length measure and ensure you follow the 0.75% wear point religiously. If you do that you should get at least 2 chains per cassette.

mtbr member

My argument against another XX XG-1099 cassette would be purely on cost. How long did your previous cassette last?

If it was my bike I'd be using SRAM PG-1070 $100 USD cassettes (350g) for day to day use, with a cheap but serviceable chain. I'm fine with high end bits that last but not when they'll inevitably need throwing away after a few months. My opinion is that the 142g weight saving of an XX cassette doesn't add enough performance to justify the cost. In the first year alone you'd save $600 USD if you were to swap cassettes twice and use PG-1070 cassettes. $600 USD buys plenty of nice bike kit.

At $400 USD a pop XG-1099 cassettes (208g) aren't even vaguely value for money. If you're going to be going through 2 or more a year that adds up fast. They have the problem of that aluminium largest sprocket too, which if you use it much will wear quickly, rendering your expensive cassette useless well before the steel teeth are worn out.

If you are going to get one they're a bit cheaper than RRP from ebay. This new 11-36 XX XG-1099 cassette $274 USD for example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fast-free-US...item43bcf51313

old fart
    Mar 2010
    My argument against another XX XG-1099 cassette would be purely on cost. How long did your previous cassette last?

[snip]
    If you are going to get one they're a bit cheaper than RRP from ebay.
    That is what I do, I keep watching for when some site has XX cassettes cheap. I have never paid more than $300NZ for any (say 150 GBP). I always try to have a spare so I'm not compelled to purchase when I have the requirement. You can save serious coin that way. I currently have 2 spare XX cassettes on the shelf, and 4 1091R chains.

As to the race/ride thing - I have subscribed to this thinking for much of my riding life but then realised that I was losing the enjoyment of the good bits which were sitting in the garage gathering dust. Now I use all the best bits for everyday riding except when the weather is crap when I will put on another wheelset and 1070 cassette.

On my roadie I have over 10K kms on some Mavic R-Sys wheels and they are as good as the day I bought them. My "winter" road wheels almost never get used.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    Now I use all the best bits for everyday riding except when the weather is crap when I will put on another wheelset and 1070 cassette.
    Me too. Unfortunately in the UK the weather is crap nearly all the time.

True - even though the PG-1070 cassette is heavy, it lasts longer than the XG-1099. I learned my expensive lesson too.

mtbr member
    May 2008

If it was my bike I'd be using SRAM PG-1070 $100 USD cassettes (350g) for day to day use, with a cheap but serviceable chain. I'm fine with high end bits that last but not when they'll inevitably need throwing away after a few months. My opinion is that the 142g weight saving of an XX cassette doesn't add enough performance to justify the cost. In the first year alone you'd save $600 USD if you were to swap cassettes twice and use PG-1070 cassettes. $600 USD buys plenty of nice bike kit.

At $400 USD a pop XG-1099 cassettes (208g) aren't even vaguely value for money. If you're going to be going through 2 or more a year that adds up fast. They have the problem of that aluminium largest sprocket too, which if you use it much will wear quickly, rendering your expensive cassette useless well before the steel teeth are worn out.

If you are going to get one they're a bit cheaper than RRP from ebay. This new 11-36 XX XG-1099 cassette $274 USD for example.

Fast Free US SHIP SRAM XX CS XG 1099 10 Speed Cassette 11 36 New | eBay

Thanks for that link, I just ordered that one....now I just need a chain

mtbr member
    May 2008
    is there any risk of fake chains on ebay? Reason I ask is this seems cheap

KMC x10 SL CP Super Light 10S 10 Speed Silver | eBay

mtbr member

Have a look at this link about purchasing KMC X10 SL chains from Taiwan. It sounds like it's probably legitimate.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...ay-from-taiwan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bi-King-20...item257f0fe075

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have a look at this link about purchasing KMC X10 SL chains from Taiwan. It sounds like it's probably legitimate.

Anyone bought a KMC X10SL Chain on ebay from Taiwan? Singletrack Forum

[Bi_King] 2013 NEW Edition KMC X10SL Gold 10 Speed Chain (CN13D) | eBay

Thats good info...do you know if I need 114 link chain for 2012 s works epic SRAM model?

KMC is made in Taiwan, ROC. They even make all Shimano's chains for them, under license. I actually like them better than SRAM chains.

mtbr member

Thats good info...do you know if I need 114 link chain for 2012 s works epic SRAM model?
    Count the number of links in your current chain to make sure before ordering. (Counting the number of outer plates and doubling that figure is easiest). I think 112 links is probably ok.

My Epic 29er has either 108 or 110 links in its chain (not totally sure from memory), although I have different gear ratios to stock, using a triple chainset with a 44x32 largest tooth combination.