mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Epic S-works 'label' and serial number

I have a 2004 Epic S-works. I bought it used. Its a silver brushed color with black writing. Recently the lettering is starting to wear off pretty bad. (to the point all lettering would be gone with a good strong hose washing)

Is this common?

Also..I'm starting to wonder if I got riped off. The bike's serial number starts with a "PV". Is there anywhere to run the the serial numbers to see if its valid?

Thanks
    Scott

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    Send an email to Specialized.

I remember a member here recently purchased some S-Works frames from China at very attractive prices. He emailed big S and someone from big S confirmed that the frames were non genuine by looking at the pics and serial number.

Attach the pics and I'm sure the guy will help out. He lurks in the forums. Can't remember his handle though.

Cheers mate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It happens on a lot of their anodized bikes, but i haven't heard it on the brushed models. I had never heard of these non genuine bikes, but it is definitely worth a shot.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    The PV is a common part of Specialized serial #'s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

That would be me.

Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    Send an email to Specialized.

I remember a member here recently purchased some S-Works frames from China at very attractive prices. He emailed big S and someone from big S confirmed that the frames were non genuine by looking at the pics and serial number.

Attach the pics and I'm sure the guy will help out. He lurks in the forums. Can't remember his handle though.

Cheers mate.
    It is going to depend on a few things. The serial number will most likely not help much. These forgers get a genuine frame and then run the numbers starting from there. So, to Specialized they are legit numbers. The key is to post some photos, with close ups of the rear drop outs, and the welds around the head tube area. Most of these fakes are found in China and Central Europe. So the chance of you getting one in the US are pretty low. But you said you bought it used, so if you did not know the guy you bought it from, or if you got it from one of the local shops, it may have been brought back to the States by a G.I. from Hunter AAF, of Fort Stewart. Post some pics and we can help.
    "Mountainbiking is like life, in that it is the long hard climb to the top that reveals character. Everyone is fast going downhill".
    -Me

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

real s-works Epic with worn 'labeling'

Well, here are some pics of bike. Can anybody confirm that this is a US version of a small size "s-works' epic?

SUNJU: You in Savannah?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    looks genuine to me, although i don't own an Epic (i have an SW HT): headtube (right size to accept CK headset), welds, seattube diameter (accepts Thomson 30.9mm presumably), rear dropouts, cable guides, RD hanger (small retaining screw), etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Looks like the real deal to me too. One thing thou, the seat tube doesn't have that extra reinforcement to the top tube like in the pic on the Specialized website. Any ideas why any one?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Depends on the size

Quote Originally Posted by sdchew
    Looks like the real deal to me too. One thing thou, the seat tube doesn't have that extra reinforcement to the top tube like in the pic on the Specialized website. Any ideas why any one?

If I am not mistaken, small frames don't have it since their seattube is not as long.

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    If I am not mistaken, small frames don't have it since their seattube is not as long.

Cheers,
    Cris
    That is correct. Small's do not have the extra seat tube support.

The bike looks legit to me. I have that same frame in L. Mine came with a cloth type chain stay protector, but that could have easily been removed by the original owner.

Does your Brain have the IQ feature? That is, an adjusting switch to set the threshold for activation. The Brain IQ was standard, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    looks genuine to me, although i don't own an Epic (i have an SW HT): headtube (right size to accept CK headset), welds, seattube diameter (accepts Thomson 30.9mm presumably), rear dropouts, cable guides, RD hanger (small retaining screw), etc.

king makes four 1 1/8 headset sizes. there has been changes in the standard. ran into that problem on an 05 sj fsr s works. for 15 dollars king will get your lbs the right cups.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Do you know if the previous owner wore knee pads or brushed his knees on the frame while riding? It could explain the wearing graphics.

I've taken some shop rags and acetone to remove the branding from my 05 Enduro. I prefer it with no logos. I'm considering stripping down my S-Works Epic this winter as well...they only have about 35 branding logos on that one.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yipiia
    Well, here are some pics of bike. Can anybody confirm that this is a US version of a small size "s-works' epic?

SUNJU: You in Savannah?

Dude, you have a genuine S-Works. I know the lettering can be annoying, but it is just cosmetic. Like the guy said, it was most likely a rub point for knee pad, or a carry point for the shoulder. The two HT frames I bought have a Specialized M5 front end, mated to a rear triangle of unknown origin, it is a long story, but I am putting together a post about it.
    I am from Savannah, but I am now in China. The next time I am at home, I will pm you and perhaps we can hit the trails. Congratulations on a great bike.
    "Mountainbiking is like life, in that it is the long hard climb to the top that reveals character. Everyone is fast going downhill".
    -Me

Driven by watts inside
    My 2004 S-Works has the same lettering fade as yours. You have a legit bike. Here's a pic of mine so you can be sure.

I'm not sure what causes the lettering to fade. I think it's a combination of sweat dripping on my top tube and resting my knees there during tight cornering.

- Jeremy -
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Refreshing

Thanks Jeremy for the Pic..
    Your heart break with the fading comforts me in knowing it is in Specializeds' Devine plan that the wording wears off!