mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Is Epic right choice and what size???

Hi all!

I need some advice. I am about to buy an Epic Comp and would like some input from other Epic riders. First I ride single track on relatively narrow dirt trails with roots and log or branch piles and the occassional rock garden. Also there are lots of hills and valleys. I currently ride a Kona hard tail which climbs awsome so I want an FS bike that will also climb well with minimal pedal bob. This is why I am considering the Epic. I was told the stump jumpers are little more sluggish and because I don't go out of my way to hit jumps and big drops the 4" suspension on the Epic was more suitable to my riding style. Plus I would like more speed!!!!!! I am 5'8" with a 29" inseem. The local dealer thinks a large frame looks right on me because I shouldn't have my weight over the handle bars and it would be better for climbing. I ride a 16" Kona HT which is good on tight technical stuff but I think is a little too small for me as I have gone over the handle bars on a number of occassions coming off of logs and stuff.
    What do you think? Large frame or is that crazy talk for a guy 5"8"?

Thanks, Shawn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im just over 5 foot 8 and i ride a medium epic comp, a large would be too big for me because i have short arms and legs, i could probably even get away with a small, the epic is great on tight single track, for me itll do anything once your wheels arent coming too far off the ground, hell i take my epic to the downhill park!!!

at this stage though id still try out an 08 stumpjumper, its very light now and a very efficent pedaler, its a much plusher ride than the epic but you will get pedal bob, you wont with the epic but its suspension is a harsher ride, it will beat you up if you hit too many rock gardens, every bike has its pros and cons,

i do a lot of road riding with the epic its geometry is really nice on roads, and yes its fast, mine is a rocketship now that ive got it down to 23.5 pounds, one thing to keep in mind the epic is due for an update, i love my bike but im so curious to see what theyll do with it

mtbr member
    I am barely 5' 9" and I just bought a large. I like a bit of a larger frame however so it suits me pretty well. The TT length is the same as my Rockhopper so it works out well. I like the longer wheelbase as well. It seems to smooth out the bumps a bit. The downside to that is, me being a smaller rider on a big frame and all, I'm not the fastest through the tight twisty sections of the trail. I would most certainly ride them both and I work in a bike shop and I don't personally believe I would recommend anyone who is 5' 8" to buy a large. But that is just me and I also just bought a large myself at 5' 9". But I would certainly ride them both and see which one feels more natural to you.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd have to say a Medium would fit you nicely. You would be much faster (possibly more comfortable as well) on that opposed to a Large. I'm 5'10 and I ride a Medium Epic Marathon, and a Large Epic. Given your riding style, the Epic is a good choice. Dont turn away from the stumpy though, with the brain on them they are pretty nice. Very comfortable, and a good all around bike. If your looking for a "do it all bike" thats the one to go for.

Given your inseam, I would stay away from a large, unless you just like bigger frames. I have a 31 inch inseam and my Large is a gnats a*s too big.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the input, it certainly gives me lots to think about. Do you really think the Epic is a much harsher ride than a stumpy? There is only 1" difference in travel and I thought that was the beauty of the new Brain suspension, that it was very adjustable and could be dialed to suit different preferences for "cushiness". I think I'm leaning more to the Epic also because it just looks so aggressive and I love the satin black colour and also the new stumpy I find looks too much like retro womens' bikes with the deep S- bend in the top tube. The new design may ride like a dream but it certainly loses some (a lot of) cool points. I will be test riding one though so I may very well change my mind. Heck two weeks ago I had decided to buy a 2006 Blur XC with XO components, Mavic rims, XT crank but I changed my mind because I couldn't get my head around paying $2900 bones for a two year old bike.

Thanks, Shawn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i went from an xc to an epic, the xc and the epic have the same rear shock travel but the xc was a much cushier ride, the epic shock even set to fully soft which is how i ride it all the time will even out the bumps a bit but it wont wont absorb them like a stumpjumper, coming from a hardtail though youll probably think its cushy as hell so i wouldnt worry about it, think about it this way, the epic is a race bike, it has a racing suspension, just like a rally car, its not going to have a suspension like a cadillac

ShockDoc
    Feb 2008
    Bimminator,
    I agree. I love the open frame of the epic. It looks clean and fast.

I have a question for you folks. What's the real difference between the epic expert and epic marathon. The price difference is $1100 and I'm not sure if its worth it. I've heard the weight difference is about 1.5 lbs. I've pretty much decided on the epic, but I'm not sure if I should fork up the extra grand for the marathon or keep that money for upgrades on my other bike. Suggestions?

bao
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    buy the comp, sell the parts on ebay and with the spare grand + proceeds from your components ,get an upgrade. i spent about 1800 on parts on ebay and brought my epic to 22.5 lbs complete with pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    22.5, thats pretty good, mine sits at 23.5, still have the stock bar stem and brakes and tires, if i went to a flat bar super light stem and s works tires i could probably get there, ive got my hope mono minis coming from my bike shop, ill see where i am weight wise after theyre installed, shock doc i would go for the expert over the marathon, for the extra money you save you could easily bring it to the weight of the marathon with compnants of your choice

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc
    Bimminator,
    I agree. I love the open frame of the epic. It looks clean and fast.

I have a question for you folks. What's the real difference between the epic expert and epic marathon. The price difference is $1100 and I'm not sure if its worth it. I've heard the weight difference is about 1.5 lbs. I've pretty much decided on the epic, but I'm not sure if I should fork up the extra grand for the marathon or keep that money for upgrades on my other bike. Suggestions?

I ride a Marathon. I built it from the frame up. My past 4 bikes were built that way. If your not building it that way, then its all in component choices. The Marathon comes with a S-works Carbon linkage as well. Like I've said before: If you like all the components and a little carbon, go for the Marathon. If your just going to change them out anyway, go for the expert, or even the comp.

If I was to get anything non Epic or Specialized for that matter, I'd be on a Turner Flux.
    Livin' the dream.

bao
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, the stock components are a bit heavy. try the continental speed king supersonic tires though, bout 400 g each for the 2.1. ran tubeless with stan's olympic rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im not going tubeless, i do so much road riding on my bike that it would be pointless really, ill keep a note of those tires though, to be honest though i never noticed my bike was lighter until i changed the wheelset, i did that last, before that id taken off 2 pounds but it wasnt noticable

bao
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    with lighter tires you would feel the difference in addition to your wheelset. just remember that with almost all conti tires, the size with the knobs are rated,not the casing.so a 2.1 looks just like a 1.9..sorry for the o.t.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ill see if i can pick them up, sounds like theyre what im looking for

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimminator
    Thanks for the input, it certainly gives me lots to think about. Do you really think the Epic is a much harsher ride than a stumpy? There is only 1" difference in travel and I thought that was the beauty of the new Brain suspension, that it was very adjustable and could be dialed to suit different preferences for "cushiness". I think I'm leaning more to the Epic also because it just looks so aggressive and I love the satin black colour and also the new stumpy I find looks too much like retro womens' bikes with the deep S- bend in the top tube. The new design may ride like a dream but it certainly loses some (a lot of) cool points. I will be test riding one though so I may very well change my mind. Heck two weeks ago I had decided to buy a 2006 Blur XC with XO components, Mavic rims, XT crank but I changed my mind because I couldn't get my head around paying $2900 bones for a two year old bike.

Thanks, Shawn
    First, I'm about your height, and it sounds like my trails are similar to yours - rooty, rocky singletrack, with lots of short-to-medium ups and downs.

In the last two months, I've taken 2+ hour test rides on a number of bikes, including the Epic, Stumpjumper, and a NOS Blur Classic. I rode a medium Epic, and while I might have felt a bit better with an additional cm in the stem, it didn't feel like the bike was too small for me.

The Epic was much less plush than either the SJ or the Blur - It bounced over stuff that the other bikes absorbed. Its handling was on the fast side of neutral. Overall, it felt like a race bike, designed to prioritize speed over comfort. In comparison, the SJ was plush and stable, but light. I felt incredibly confident both climbing and descending. I'd describe the SJ as slightly less lithe or graceful than the Epic - But it's no plodder - It's fast and really, really fun.

Out of all the bikes I rode, I expected to like the SJ the least. I couldn't have been more wrong. I agree that they're not very good looking (the paint even more than the curvy frame...) That's not going to keep me from buying one, though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Hope

Hello everybody.
    Please help.I saw an Epic in my local LBS.Very cheap because of the color.PINK! Crazy but I like it.Size M.But I'm 183cm (maybe 6 ft) Is it good for me?What do you thinK?With a layoff Thomson 400mm seatpost and a 100mm stem and some spacer?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9" and I ride a large. Seems that it would be waaay too small. I have a 105mm stem on mine as well and it fits me perfect.
    - KERSH -