mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Epic rear shock sensitivity help

I revently bought an Epic Marathon '03 second hand. It had the original brain with the 1g threshold. I have just had the shock serviced, and the "Brain Lite" fitted to lower the opening threshold. Now I find that it is much less sensitive.

The shock used to open if I rolled off a 4" kerb, now it doesn't

The shock used to open if I hit an arm sized tree root at 10 mph.

After ragging the bike down a fast rocky descent, the front fork had used virtually all it's travel, the rear hadn't opened.

You have to drop it about 8" to get the brain to open at all.

The question is, was the old brain faulty, and the new one is doing what it should, or is the new Brain Lite faulty?

Many thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Are all of your other settings equal? Most riders agree that the Brain has a "break-in" period where the on/off feeling is noticeable. If you have it setup the same way your old shock was, then try riding it for a while and see if it gets softer over time...

Mtc
    mtbr member
    The new one isn't working correctly. Should activate with a solid tap of the back wheel on the floor while holding on by the saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cheers guys, following advice, I took most of the air out (leaving about 25psi) then worked it hard riding down steps and over big roots. Then put another 10psi in it and did the same again, then another 10 psi etc until I was back to the usual 65psi.

This seemed to unlock the brain, and now it's working fine. It's more progressive than the old one with less of that "tyre blowing out" feeling when it opens.

Much happier now, thanks folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boriselbrus
    Cheers guys, following advice, I took most of the air out (leaving about 25psi) then worked it hard riding down steps and over big roots. Then put another 10psi in it and did the same again, then another 10 psi etc until I was back to the usual 65psi.

This seemed to unlock the brain, and now it's working fine. It's more progressive than the old one with less of that "tyre blowing out" feeling when it opens.

Much happier now, thanks folks.
    65 psi is pretty low unless you're an extreme light weight...what's your sag like?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm only about 140lbs, the sag seems OK and I'm using full travel maybe once or twice a ride. I am running fully fast rebound at the moment which I tend to do on all new shocks until they have loosened up. I would imagine that over the next few weeks I'll gradually increase the rebound 3 or 4 clicks.