mtbr member

Epic with new style XT cranks, chainsuck?

HI All
    I have an epic and love it except for the amount of chainsuck I get when the going gets tough or it get muddy and wet.. I am using XT cranks with a xt drivetrain and a sram chain. I have heard that you can move the cranks out a bit by adding a washer or getting a wider bottom bracket to make thing a bit better.
    Would the chainsuck issue get any better if I got myself a new pair of XT cranks with the outboard bearings? I have them on my road bike (FSA version) and love the solid feel I get from them. My birthday is coming up and have the oppurtunity to upgrade without hearing it to much from my wife! Any feed back would be great. Thanks

mtbr member

Are they old xt? My h-tec 2 are fine on my epic.

My epic has xt h-tec 2 and chain suck is fine, although i did have to run 1 spacer on the drive side and 2 on the non-drive to get the chain line sweet. Check your chain line, and check your chain rings/chain for wear. Most chain suck is caused by worn components. If it's not the wear that's causing it, it's probably the chain line and you may need to change the bb length as you suggested.

ballbuster

Prolly won't solve you chainsuck...

Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob
    HI All
    I have an epic and love it except for the amount of chainsuck I get when the going gets tough or it get muddy and wet.. I am using XT cranks with a xt drivetrain and a sram chain. I have heard that you can move the cranks out a bit by adding a washer or getting a wider bottom bracket to make thing a bit better.
    Would the chainsuck issue get any better if I got myself a new pair of XT cranks with the outboard bearings? I have them on my road bike (FSA version) and love the solid feel I get from them. My birthday is coming up and have the oppurtunity to upgrade without hearing it to much from my wife! Any feed back would be great. Thanks
    .... any more than a new set of rings would. Shimano rings tend to wear pretty fast, so what you are probably experiencing is chainsuck from worn rings. While you're at it, check your chain for growth. A worn chain will wear out your rings pretty fast as well.

So try this:

check for worn rings, replace them if needed
    If you get chainsuck while shifting from middle to granny, try bolting the granny gear one chainring bolt off to change out the tooth alignment
    check for worn/dirty chain
    use a heavy oil kind of chainlube, like Finish Line Cross Country
    shorten the chain as much as you can stand
    stop shifting from middle to granny under load

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey
    My epic has xt h-tec 2 and chain suck is fine, although i did have to run 1 spacer on the drive side and 2 on the non-drive to get the chain line sweet. Check your chain line, and check your chain rings/chain for wear. Most chain suck is caused by worn components. If it's not the wear that's causing it, it's probably the chain line and you may need to change the bb length as you suggested.
    Thanks for the reply. I got the bike last year and probably only have about 500 miles on it. I have been doing alot more road riding this summer! I replaced the cranks on it about 400 miles ago so I do not think that wear is the issue, they look pretty good to me at least.
    I am curious about how you "found" the perfect chainline and why you would have to put a washer on the non drivetrain crank arm. It seems as though the problem is on the drive train side so how wouldthat make a difference? Thanks

mtbr member
    When i had my epic disc 03, I ran 2 spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non. i had the XT h2's with outboard bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    When i had my epic disc 03, I ran 2 spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non. i had the XT h2's with outboard bearings.
    In March I purchased a new bike with the same cranks and relaced the shimano chain with a sram (I've had big problems braking shimano 9 speed chains). I was experancing chain suck right away in both the middle and small rings. To fix the problem I put on race face cranks and have not had a problem since.

I stuck the XT cranks on my jumping bike which is 8 speed and a shimano chain. I still get chain suck in the middle ring if the chain is dirty.

I think that shimano may have made their cranks so sram chains don't work with them.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Only when really muddy...

HI All
    I have some chainsuck on really muddy rides, not that often,... what I did (to protect the frame at least) is that since my Lizard Skins chainstay protector doesn't fit entirely between the two cable guides for the rear derailleur cable on the chainstay, I cut a small part and put in front of the first cable guide so that when I do get chainsuck, the frame doesn't get damaged.

As I said before... it doesn't happen that often, so I don't think it is a crankset issue.

Just my 2 cents,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo
    I think that shimano may have made their cranks so sram chains don't work with them.

Untrue. All I run are Sram chains. On a three or four year old XT crank set and through tons of rings. No problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

much better with XT h2's

Would the chainsuck issue get any better if I got myself a new pair of XT cranks with the outboard bearings?
    With my previous setup - Epic 03 sworks frame + LX cranks & sram chain I had chainsucks on virtually every ride. BB was 68x113, and the gap between the big ring and the chainstay was so narrow, when i did get a chainsuck i had to brake the chain (powerlink helps bigtime) to get it fixed. Not to mention nasty scars on the chainstay :-(

Since I upgraded to XT h2's (2 spacers drive side, 1 spacer non-drive), it is much, much better. Almost no chainsucks, and if I do get a chainsuck once in a while, it is easily fixed by quick back-pedalling half a turn or so.

--
    Jackie

mtbr member
    HI All
    Check the (chainring) teeth for straightness and for burrs (rough edges on the teeth) About half the chainsuck I have encountered can be chalked up to burrs or bent/mangled teeth. If you find any rough edges (that can hang your fingernail) smooth them with a mill bastard file (flat file with moderate cut) The best technique is to push and roll the file around the perimeter (tangentially)

mtbr member

Looks maybe deceiving.

Thanks for the reply. I got the bike last year and probably only have about 500 miles on it. I have been doing alot more road riding this summer! I replaced the cranks on it about 400 miles ago so I do not think that wear is the issue, they look pretty good to me at least.
    I am curious about how you "found" the perfect chainline and why you would have to put a washer on the non drivetrain crank arm. It seems as though the problem is on the drive train side so how wouldthat make a difference? Thanks
    Get your hands on a chain wear indicator and actually measure if your chain is worn, distance isn't always a good indicator of how much "use" your chain has had. On the chain line question, I eyeballed it. I know there are some magic formulas/measurements out there, but I did it by eye.

68mm BB shells are meant to run all three spacers which come with the cranks (2 with e-type der/chain guide, 1 with 78mm BB, none with 78mm BB w/ e-type or chain guide). I'm still slightly unhappy with the chain line in rear lowest cog and middle chain ring at the front, but I just don't ride that one.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I'm with 1-bar, I have an '03 S-Works Epic with the XT H-tec II cranks and BB. I have two spacers on drive side, and one on the opposite... makes it a lot better, improves the chainline (I originally only had 1 spacer on the drive side, and the chain would always rub the Fr. Derail in high gears...). Other than that, even in muddy conditions, I can't say that I've experienced too much chainsuck--I don't actually remember experiencing any to be honest...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.