mtbr member
    Feb 2004

epic marathon vs comp. same frame?

it looks like the linkage on the rear suspension may be different. carbon vs aluminum maybe? i wonder if they are different weights?

mtbr member
    the frames are the same, at least if the catalog/website are to be trusted-- I haven't seen a '06 Marathon in person. Yes, the Shock Link on the Marathon is carbon, whereas the same piece is aluminum on all lower models. But I can't imagine there is a huge weight difference.

The only other thing that may be different is the shock extender, which is aluminum on the Comp and below. On the Marathon, it may be magnesium, as on the S-Works, but I'd have to see it to know ... sorry, I guess this wasn't much help, I'm just guessing. But in any case, yes the Marathon frame should be lighter, but probably not by much. Of course, overall, the Marathon gets much nicer parts.

Quote Originally Posted by -dude-
    it looks like the linkage on the rear suspension may be different. carbon vs aluminum maybe? i wonder if they are different weights?

pem
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think the marathon frame is anodised, comp and below are painted. There's few grams weight difference again but not much. However anodised surface should be more difficult to scratch? Both issues are discussed in this forum before, try search.

Also I think that the matt ano looks better than paint, but that's of course just a personal opinion