mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Epic Marathon for non racer

Hi all,

I have seen a few epics round here in $$$$ setups owned by racers.
    I am a non racer (except some open ones) and I want a reliable, do it all MTB. The trails
    around here are very rocky and dry. The idea of traction uphill and comfort down is
    what has lead me to Epic.

I can't afford a super setup. I found a deal on a 2007 epic marathon frame (silver ano)
    with AFR shock.

The built will be LX-XT, with Ritchey components and Mavic 317 on XT hubs and Reba fork.

Do you think this bike will suit my needs or is it too race oriented?

ps I weigh 180-185lbs and am 5.9"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by avalanche00; 04-18-2007 at 12:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's a super nice frame and I don't think you can go wrong with it. However, remember that you'll be buying parts for the bike so you could wind-up paying more or less than a complete Epic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't really have a choice since it comes only as a frame....
    Anyway my selection of parts is as good as the Epic Expert parts about the same price...

What I am interested in is reliability and performance in rough terain...

thecentralscrutinizer
    As long as you remember that it's considered a XC frame and not an All mountain frame, you should be okay.

Good luck
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It is a fast bike for sure.... it's not as durible as the stumpy or enduro but still a good strong bike none the less. And if you are primarly riding XC trails/fire roads it is an ideal bike.

mtbr member
    For a do it all bike I'd be leaning towards the enduro sl. That's my opinion though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everybody gets caught up in saying the epic is a race only bike.. when 4 inches of travel used to be the high end for a trail bike. AS long as you don't plan on leaving the ground (drops, jumps etc) The epic will be perfect for anything you can throw at it on two wheels. Sure if you hit a steep tech section it won't have the slacker angles that a Stumpjumper will or the meaty tires and longer travel suspension that the Enduro SL will, but when the trail turns up as well as the stumpy and Enduro SL pedal, with the steeper angles and more efficient suspension, the epic will cruise right up.
    Even if you don't race, if you find yourself riding XC and not leaving the ground, then the epic will be the perfect bike for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am coming from a mid-level HT with 80mm travel. I want efficiency uphill since its
    full of them and some more comfort and control going down....

Its annoying after a 5-7 km climb not to enjoy the coming downhill section cause
    the tail bounces here and there and you have to be on the breaks all the time

Ride Everything
    Can someone help me decipher the seat tube angles for the Epic? Their website has some pretty weird #'s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBFreerideCT
    Everybody gets caught up in saying the epic is a race only bike.. when 4 inches of travel used to be the high end for a trail bike. AS long as you don't plan on leaving the ground (drops, jumps etc) The epic will be perfect for anything you can throw at it on two wheels. Sure if you hit a steep tech section it won't have the slacker angles that a Stumpjumper will or the meaty tires and longer travel suspension that the Enduro SL will, but when the trail turns up as well as the stumpy and Enduro SL pedal, with the steeper angles and more efficient suspension, the epic will cruise right up.
    Even if you don't race, if you find yourself riding XC and not leaving the ground, then the epic will be the perfect bike for you.
    Agreed. You can do some jumping on the Epic provided you're only coming up 1-2 feet max and landing smooth. Straight drops and big air aren't what this is for .

I've been thrilled with my Epic, both as a trail bike and as an amateur racer (beginner class in local fun series). When the trail or race course turns up hill, especially when it's a little rocky and bumpy, the Epic just flies up it. On the flat sections the bike accelerates like a hardtail and it's awesome on the downhill sections.

Great bike
    :wq

mtbr member
    I came from a 85mm hardtail to the Epic and 100mm front and rear on the Epic felt pretty good to me. Granted that the rear suspension will be firmer than most due to the brain shock. Coming from a hardtail, you won't be griping about the firmer rear suspension. If efficiency is what you need, the Epic is your bike.

Nice frame, I have an '07 silver Epic Comp. Wish I had the AFR shock.

The Other Dude
    My first specialized bike was an epic, and my no means would have considered myself a racer. I just wanted to go fast on the trails, and have a fun bike, the epic was right on the money! I had the comp level epic, and it worked great, if you get a marathon frame, and build it up with the parts groups you listed, you will have one very nice reliable bike!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Can someone help me decipher the seat tube angles for the Epic? Their website has some pretty weird #'s.
    The Epic ('06-'07) has a 74 degree seat tube angle

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Gflash
    The Epic ('06-'07) has a 74 degree seat tube angle
    Thanks (that lets me out).