mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Epic Marathon frame vs S-Works Epic Carbon frame

Does anyone know the difference in weight between the Epic Marathon frame (aluminum) and the S-Works Epic Carbon frame?

Obviously the carbon frame costs more. Just trying to see how much weight savings there might be with it.

Thanks.

The Other Dude
    The weight savings is not worth extra money from what most people have said, its a few grams. You are paying extra for a better riding frame. I had an 07 marathon, and now have an 06 S-Works epic frame with the 07 marathon parts on it. I think it was worth the upgrade for longer rides, less vibration gets to you hands and rear end, the bike is super stiff, and holds lines extremely well in sloppy conditions, i really like it.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How were you able to get the 07 Marathon Parts on the 06? Swapped them? I am planning to buy an 06 S-works Carbon but read the reviews that the 07 rear shocks are better. Called Specialized and they said they do not sell the 07' Rear shock as a separate kit.

If I could only get an 07 Rear Shock (specialized) I would get this 06' S-works carbon Epic being offered to me.

Thanks!

Francis

joe dirt

fyi

My 2007 Epic Marathon small-size frame including the thomson elite seatpost that comes with it weighs between 4.75 and 5 lbs using analog scale. I'd say almost 5 pounds. That is really lightweight for just an aluminum.

The Other Dude
    I swapped the parts. It was a long story, but now i have an 06 S-Works carbon frame, and i have both the 06 Fox Brain shock and the 07 Specialized Brain shock. They are both great, for rough, rooty, and rocky stuff, the specialized brain is on my bike hands down, for smooth fast singletrack, i use the fox, the are both great shocks. If i had to choose only one though, it would be the specialized shock
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The approximate weight difference between a 2007 Epic Marathon Carbon frame and a 2007 S-Works Epic Carbon frame is about 80 grams. The delta will vary by frame size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry, I should have read your message more closely. Going from the M5 (alloy) Marathon frame to the Marathon Carbon frame saves around 90-100g. The more notable difference, though, will be in ride quality, as the Carbon frame is significantly stiffer torsionally when compared to the M5 Alloy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSWeb
    Sorry, I should have read your message more closely. Going from the M5 (alloy) Marathon frame to the Marathon Carbon frame saves around 90-100g. The more notable difference, though, will be in ride quality, as the Carbon frame is significantly stiffer torsionally when compared to the M5 Alloy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSWeb
    the Carbon frame is significantly stiffer torsionally when compared to the M5 Alloy.
    Now is it really or does it only feel like it ? The German maganize "BIKE" tested the SJ FSR Carbon last year and I remember that the carbon frame was not at all stiffer than the M5 and the only theoritical benefit was 50-80g weight savings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    from what i've read the difference in weight is between 100 and 150 gr ...however the difference, whethe it is 50, 80 , 100 or 125 gr, the carbon frame has more "nerve" on it in comparisition with and alloy frame...

under pressure, carbon flexes ans adpats to the pressure better than alloy....as a comparation, compare an alloy windsurf mast with a carbon mast...

another comparation is between carbon road frames an alloy road frames. The carbon ones give some suspension, especially fork and rear stays and chain stays

However the difference, most of us do no distinguish it properly, (we are not good enough nor powerful enough nor have the necessary technique to put/push the frame to the limits) but carbon always gives more status to your bike ( and also more possibilities to break the frame !!)

The Other Dude
    The only carbon frame that i have seen break to date is the Scott Ransom.....has anyone here broke a specialized MTB carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    however this is not the thread of broken brames,i've seen broken carbon frames (and to break in front of my eyes) (nor specizlized by the way). both, road and Mtb.

The breakage it has always been due tio a hard and dry thud/knock...ie, trying to junp a chain in the middel of the track at speed, jumping and l˝anding over rock gardens, being tripped over by the peloton (in road).....

i've never ,nor i imagine it, seen a broken carbon frame due to the pedalling pressure....

Alloy frames under a dry thud may deform (and not recuperate the form afterwars, so they keep with the nipple made by the thud, and you may keep riding). Instead, carbon frames either recuperate the form or break (completely or appear scars) under a dry thud

From what i gather, specilaized frames are a bitmore robust (a weight more) than other brands....fot instance the s-works full-suspension epric frame weightes more than other full supesnsion carbon frames (scott genius, etc)...in fact the epic s-works is not a light winnie carbon frame nor bike....mine wieghted new in box about 11,2-11,3 kg
    and surely a few grams more of carbom means one layer more of fiber carbon glued with epoxyresin...... surely the advertized specialized "10 fact r carbon frames for the s-works (mtb o road)" mens something of these....

so keep on riding hard and nener never fall however much you push your bike...this will garantee both, not breaking the frame and beeing the first some day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    The only carbon frame that i have seen break to date is the Scott Ransom.....has anyone here broke a specialized MTB carbon frame?
    nope, not yet!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP