Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epic Marathon Carbon vs Alloy

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  CDB 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the '08 Epic Marathon Carbon and the Marathon (non-carbon)? I am inclined to buy the Marathon in alloy since components are basically the same and price difference is $700, but would like to hear some comments before making the final decision.

#2 ·
there was a huge debate with another guy on this forum a few months back about the same thing and he ended up ditching both epic choices for a TREK SESSION ha ha ha, i think he had a meltdown or something but it was really funny,

basically it boils down to this, 700 hundred dollars extra gets you a cooler looking frame that is more or less half a pound lighter, also theres the frame breakage thing, some people never break theirs, others have broken from a simple crash, the frame went down and a rock put a hole in it etc, unless your a racing weight weenie where every gram counts, you really dont need it

#4 ·
Anyone have actual weights that verify the carbon frame is ligher at all?

I don't think they are really .5 lbs lighter. My Buddys 07 Epic marathon carbon and My 07 marathon alum both weighed right about 26 lbs. I know the 08's are lighter because they swithched to DT swiss wheels.

#6 ·
Man, I wouldn't get a carbon mountain frame unless it was strictly for racing, and I dont know if I would even do it then. I have an Alloy Marathon and love it. I ride it and race it, and have no complaints. I dont know, I just dont like the idea of a carbon mountain frame. Some people love 'em, just not for me. I ride alot of technical stuff, and I fear I would break it. I've had rocks hit previous frames that dented the downtube, and I dont want to think of what it would of done to a carbon frame. All in what your going to use it for, I guess. I will admit, I love the look of them though.

#7 ·
Hang on a sec, quite a few comments of people flying off and their bikes hitting rocks etc, okay maybe im due a real heavy crash but from an Xc perspective it's rare i crash and when i do it's not like my bike goes flying over rocks etc.
I own a Stumpy Carbon and not once have i worried about that, i went for the Carbon version mainly how rigid it feels over Alloy frame. Ive not seen in the flesh the Epic Carbon but the Stumpy has so much reinforcment round the head tube etc it makes the frame feel so much more rigid, the bars and seat move in the same direction at the same time!

So imho it depends how you ride and what you like in a bike. If you intend to take your carbon down lots of rocky downhill descents?!?! Then maybe not! If you want the rigid feel and light as possible (marginal gain in weight loss) then go Carbon. I have and not regretted it one bit.

#8 ·
if you ride a lot of rocky terrain which basically is all there is where i live your better off with the alloy frame, i havent ridden the carbon framed epic but there was one in the shop yesterday, my alloy epic is lighter, the carbon looks great and im sure it rides great but i dont that my bike is not rigid etc, i wouldnt mind if it was a hell of a lot lighter, but at less than half a pound i couldnt be bothered with it

#9 ·
I must agree with leggit in that the difference in wrecking the carbon vs crashing the aluminum is non-existent. I wrecked an aluminum Epic last year and it barely scraped a very small rock and it bent the seat-stay. Large companies like Spesh or Trek or Cannondale are not going to produce a carbon frame that is weak and highly subject to crash damage. Besides, if someone is worried about wrecking their frame, neither carbon nor aluminum is the way to go. Better stick with that US steel if you're worried about that!

#10 ·
the breakage wouldnt bother me, thing is ive seen so many carbon frames here with multiple chips scratches and nicks out of them here, what ever trail you go on here your bike is going to get pebble dashed and i prefer it happening to my alloy frames than a carbon one, to be honest i wish my alloy frames had no paint on them at all because thats the first thing to go

#13 ·
carbon vs. alloy weight

Has anyone on the forum actually weighed the two bare frames, to see exactly what the actual weight differences are? I have not. I have heard a variety of answers over the last year, ranging from 40ish grams to sub 150 grams. Even if it were that higher number, you'd be much better off investing that money in to a lighter wheelset/tire combo.

I think the carbon looks really cool. I wouldn't FEEL cool, though, riding around w/ the knowledge that I wasted the money on something I could have spent on something else that would make me faster. But if you want to look totally cool, from a purely image perspective, buy that flashy material.

The suspension design on the alloy version is identical, and that is the REAL performance element of this bike design, and it is a GOOD one! Buy an Epic!

Comparing to a hardtail... Do the math. 175 lb. rider. Total rider weight w/ equipment approx. 200lbs. 3 lbs. of extra "static" frame weight (hardtail vs. epic) on a long, steep, and steady climb of about 40 minutes. Distance approx. 5.5 miles, Elevation gain approx. 3000' Average power approx. 320-340 watts. Slope in the neighborhood of 8-10%. How much weight penalty is that?.... It's only in the neighborhood of 30-40 seconds! That is easily made up on a descent, because of the full suspension. I have the data to prove it!

Epic benefits: Improved climbing ability due to traction, minimal loss of pedalling power (due to brain shock), reduced fatigue, improved descending speeds and increase in control. <--- all of those things more than make up for any penalty you pay w/ having a heavier overal frame weight.

Focus your weight savings money on a strong, raceworthy, and lightweight wheelset.

#15 ·
QUOTE CDB
I think the carbon looks really cool. I wouldn't FEEL cool, though, riding around w/ the knowledge that I wasted the money on something I could have spent on something else that would make me faster. But if you want to look totally cool, from a purely image perspective, buy that flashy material.
Whilst it may look cool to some people, i don't think carbon frames are developed solely for the cool factor!
Like i said in my previous post, what it does enable them to do with carbon is with the lighter material is add reinforcement to vital areas such as the bottom bracket and headset area, so whilst you don't end up with a significantly lighter frame it is significantly stiffer/stronger in the drive and headset area.
Take a comparism and youll see what i mean, how much thicker the main downtube is connecting to the BB over an ally Epic frame, it's not just cool!

#16 ·
I must first admit, that I have not ridden a carbon Epic. I may actually be ill-informed as to the finer merits of the carbon.

Are you saying that the carbon frame is stiffer than the aluminum? Or, equally stiff, yet lighter? If the later, then I would stand by my previous statements about tangible tradeoff for the expense. If the former, then I would modify my stance and be more open to considering the carbon. I have heard that the carbon offers a dampening quality as well, which I haven't personally experienced. I had gotten the idea in my head that the "stiffness" factor between the two frame materials would be quite minor, relative, and in the context of the big travel, wheel flex, and fork flex. Maybe that extra stiffness does contribute to a better ride, and I shouldn't minimize it's merits as only being "cosmetic" or "cool". Vulnerability to damage is one other factor to consider, but I imagine they are right for some and not for others, just like most choices.

Thanks for the thoughts.

leggit said:
QUOTE CDB

Whilst it may look cool to some people, i don't think carbon frames are developed solely for the cool factor!
Like i said in my previous post, what it does enable them to do with carbon is with the lighter material is add reinforcement to vital areas such as the bottom bracket and headset area, so whilst you don't end up with a significantly lighter frame it is significantly stiffer/stronger in the drive and headset area.
Take a comparism and youll see what i mean, how much thicker the main downtube is connecting to the BB over an ally Epic frame, it's not just cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.