mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Epic Large Frame

I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Epic Comp and at 5'10" 33" inseam I fall right in between a medium and a large. I tried the medium and felt a tad cramped and had the seat super high but the large felt a little large. What's everybody else riding? Should I go large and shorten the stem? Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Go medium in my opinion. Lengthen the stem a bit if you find you need it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 5-10 and a half and mine is a medium,

mtbr member
    I got the large and I'm selling it. I'm 5'10" also. The bike is not made for a 5'10" person however it works real well for climbing and is very efficient.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I got the large and I'm selling it. I'm 5'10" also. The bike is not made for a 5'10" person however it works real well for climbing and is very efficient.

Erik
    Thanks for the replies. Did you try a shorter stem? Why did you not like the large? Were you too stretched out?

mtbr member
    Went we a 75mm stem. It was to stretched out.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hmm. maybe just me, had an 08 Epic Expert, medium 26er, I'm 5'10, was too small for me, the medium would go into the turns better than a large; however, the medium would not climb, or descend as well as the large, the medium would tend to nose dive, too much weight forward over the jumps the cockpit of the newer Epic I had purchased, a 2010 Epic comp large 26er, and currently the 2011 Epic S Works Large 29er, so much better overall with pedal efficiency, I'm much faster on a large, and more control in the air and landing, just bombing the downhill sections. Oh and going with a 29er helps make up going into the turns faster. Think you should try a large Epic 29er of some sorts, before going with a medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldown View Post
    Hmm. maybe just me, had an 08 Epic Expert, medium 26er, I'm 5'10, was too small for me, the medium would go into the turns better than a large; however, the medium would not climb, or descend as well as the large, the medium would tend to nose dive, too much weight forward over the jumps the cockpit of the newer Epic I had purchased, a 2010 Epic comp large 26er, and currently the 2011 Epic S Works Large 29er, so much better overall with pedal efficiency, I'm much faster on a large, and more control in the air and landing, just bombing the downhill sections. Oh and going with a 29er helps make up going into the turns faster. Think you should try a large Epic 29er of some sorts, before going with a medium.
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear you are having success on the large. Are you running the stock stem? Did you have to move the seat forward or make any other adjustments?

mtbr member
    I had a L 2012 Epic and I'm 5'11" w/ 33" inseam. Slapped a 90 mm stem and rode the crap out of it. Came off a L '08 Stumpjumper FSR and the Epic felt small compared to that.

Also, if the L felt a bit too big, you can tilt the seat nose down a few degrees and that will tighten up the cockpit some. Just slight changes in seat angle can make a huge difference in how the sizing feels.
    Last edited by bikensand; 09-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch12 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear you are having success on the large. Are you running the stock stem? Did you have to move the seat forward or make any other adjustments?
    I can tell you when ridding the medium I had a Thomson Masterpiece Setback (angled)seat post, with the large frame I use the Thomson Masterpiece straight seat post, but still I have the seat adjusted all the way back...Now the key is the seat itself, I use the PROLOGO ZERO for my seat. The seat is flat; you are able to slide your body back off the seat going downhill or over obstacles, yet have your seat adjusted up pretty high to max the pedal efficiency.

Stem, I use the white FSA 0S115 stem, with the Carbon fiber face plate that has the forged CNC aluminum stem, I think it also came with the titanium Allen bolts, the length is 110 mm, I could try a 100mm, just haven't as of yet. Thatís about everything. For me the medium was to small, had to use the setback seat post, which I will say helped pop the front wheel up when climbing, in case you had to pull up to go over a log while climbing, but again I did not like the way medium went downhill or over jumps and really the medium did not climb the best, except for lighting up the front wheel, I had to stand up to climb on the medium frame and would lose rear wheel traction, hence the large frame is so much better when climbing, able to sit in the seat, get the traction.

...I had been there and tried and done that with the medium Epic frame and it had all cost me some cash. My suggestion is to save the cash and go large, one or two days and you will be use to the large frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I agree, I think the Newer Epic Lage frames are more on the small size of Large, They fit people better that had been caught in between the medium and large frame size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just measured my current Trek 4500 and it's a 19.5" frame. I thought it was an 18" since I bought it 6 years ago. Haha. Since the Epic large is a 19" and the medium is a 17" I will be going with the large. Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

same problem

I'm stuck between whether to keep my 21" superfly 100 or go to a 19" superfly 100.
    I put a shorter stem, 80mm, on the 21" and it works; however, the bike feels bigger than the 19" frame; not sure why. The 19" feels a little cramped; I have long legs. The 21" inch I am stretched out, but took off the stock 105mm stem to a 80mm stem about 1 inch difference and it feels better. My legs have more room but my arms are more stable. The only difference is the "feel" of the bike. So I am a little disappointed these bikes don't fit like a glove.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am 5' 9.75" and I got the large and running a 90mm stem and I am still running a setback post, but the seat is pretty far forward on it. It may be a little big, but it is pretty spot on.

When I demoed the Medium I felt cramped on it and the large with the stock stem on it felt big, but overall more comfortable. I didn't know that I liked bigger bikes until I got my 18" SS. I have a 17" HT and to get the proper reach on it I have a 120mm stem that places me way too far forward and messes up the handling quite a bit. I am either uncomfortable on it or it has poor handling and I didn't want to do that with this bike.

I have also heard a lot of people say that the large epic is pretty small.

Either way, see if you can try out a medium and a large and decide for yourself what feels best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a '10 Epic Marathon. I'm 5'10" with short legs (31" inseam). I was too cramped on a medium and went with large with a 90mm stem. This setup fits me well.

Bill j.