mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Epic Frame Size Question...

I am sure this question has been asked before but the search function still doesn't work...

I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 Epic but I am unsure what frame size is best.

On a good day, I am 5' 5" tall. My inseam is 30 and 3/4". I think that makes me short but with a relatively long inseam.

My current ride is a size small Trek Fuel with a 110 mm stem. I feel very comfortable on this bike. I can easily adjust my weight forward on the climbs to keep the front wheel from wandering, and I can adjust my weight back on the descents to keep from going over the bars. I ride twisty rolling singletrack in the mid-atlantic states.

The size small Epic has an effective top tube length 4 mm longer than my fuel. The size medium Epic top tube is 39 mm longer than my Fuel. I keep the saddle less than an inch above the bars, so I think that the 1/2 degree difference in the seat tube angle (Fuel=73.5, Epic=74) is not a significant contributing factor to difference in reach between the two Epic frame sizes.

Ok, now for the question, assuming that I want to reproduce the same reach to the bars on the Epic (as compared with my Fuel), I can get a

[1] size small with a 110 mm stem

or

[2] size medium with a 75 mm stem

(Standover is acceptabe with either frame size).

What about my weight distribution? I gotta believe that it will be quite different on these two frames even though the reach is the same. What is the tradeoff between smaller frame/larger stem and larger frame/smaller stem? Any advice? Hard leraned lessons? Other words of wisdom?

I did a LBS parking lot test ride of the medium and surprisingly it felt ok. I didn't note what size stem it has but I will check that when I go back. They said that they will be happy to order me a small but that they will be "stuck with it" if I decide I really want the medium after testing the small when it arrives. Geez, I certainly don't want to stick them with anything, they're nice people, but I do want to make the right decision...

Thanks in advance for your time.

SXtreem now

What Size...

It depends, generaly you should choose your frame size by stand-over height(inseam). I ride an XL stumpy. when i was choosing the size it was a toss-up also. get a size large and run the seatpost maxed out with the stock stem(110mm), or get an XL and have the seat just right, but get a shorter stem(120mm down to 90mm). I went w/ the XL and got a shorter stem.

Get on both bikes again. If you are running The seat w/ 7" or less of post showing on the medium, than you will be better off on the small frame w/ the longer stem. By your height i would deffinatly put you an a Small. I work at a Specialized dealer in Utah, and do alot of fits.
    good luck man, let us know what you get.

bang
    wow, i'm 5'8" with a 31.5 inseam, and get maybe two inches of standover clearance on my medium. you're cutting it kinda close with the medium aren't you?

do they have a small stumpjumper or something like that you could ride? do you feel cramped on your current ride? if the geometries are similar, i'd say get a small. your nuts would certainly thank you haha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem
    It depends, generaly you should choose your frame size by stand-over height(inseam)....Get on both bikes again. If you are running The seat w/ 7" or less of post showing on the medium, than you will be better off on the small frame w/ the longer stem. By your height i would deffinatly put you an a Small. I work at a Specialized dealer in Utah, and do alot of fits.
    good luck man, let us know what you get.

I plan to go back Saturday. Problem is that they do not have a small Epic, only a medium. I did check standover clearance and have about 1.5 - 2" - similar to my small Fuel. I know that's not a lot of clearance, but, after 5 years of riding, I have yet to pay the ultimate price.

I plan to bring my bike with me when I go back. I'll compare them side by side and then ride them back to back. I'll be sure to double check standover and seatpost extension too. I think that will help clear things up.

Thanks for your comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    wow, i'm 5'8" with a 31.5 inseam, and get maybe two inches of standover clearance on my medium. you're cutting it kinda close with the medium aren't you?

do they have a small stumpjumper or something like that you could ride? do you feel cramped on your current ride? if the geometries are similar, i'd say get a small. your nuts would certainly thank you haha!
    According to the geometry chart on Specialized's web site, there is only a 4mm difference in standover height between the small and medium Epic (749 vs. 753 mm). My small Fuel is supposed to have 722 mm standover height, but, with the sloping top tube, I think the number depends a lot on where they measure it. Based on your comments and those of the previous poster, I will definitely pay close attention to this aspect of fit when I go back for another test ride.

I feel really comfortable and balanced on my current small frame - which is quite similar to the geometry of the small Epic. I was really wondering about the trade between smaller frame / longer stem vs. larger frame / shorter stem. I've never ridden with a stem less than 100 mm in length so I don't know what to expect. The medium Epic would require a 75 mm stem to give the same reach as my Fuel. That sounds pretty extreme (and twitchy) to me, but, like I said, I never tried it.

And yes, I did ride a StumpJumper (still medium though). Awesome bike, phenomenal suspension, but a little too much for the trails around here.

Thanks.