mtbr member
    Mar 2009

EPIC Fail! what should I do?

The Good news:

I just received my 2013 Epic marathon last week. I threw on a Quark power meter, a RockShox dropper post, xtr pedals, and a pair of XO thumb shifters. I got a 1 hour ride in on it and managed to take back a Strava segment by beating my previous time by over 1 minute on a 20 minute climb. I was loving this bike. I got the brain working pretty well and was ready for the first event a three hour poker run. I finished dirty but with a big smile on my face. My sweet new bike now has 4 hours on it and is working great....

The Bad news:

After a nice BBQ my friend, and the service manager of one of my favorite bike shops comes over to my easy up and asks to take my trials bike, a 300 CC GasGas dirt bike for a spin.It is one of the lightest trials bikes but still comes in just under 200 lb's. I say sure because this guy knows how to ride a dirt bike, heck he rides one to work everyday, what could go wrong?
    Well he starts it in neutral but stalls it. When he starts it again it clicks into gear and instead of pulling in the clutch or at least letting off the gas he holds the trottle wide open and procedes to ride/ get dragged right over my brand new Epic! He then hits a pole and then a solid picnic table with booth the trials bike and his body! I feel like I am watching a Youtube clip but this is real life and my buddy just rode over my brand new mountain bike, end to end! Did I mention SOMEONE JUST RODE OVER MY BRAND NEW MOUNTAIN BIKE WITH MY OWN MOTORCYCLE!

I cant even look at first, When I turn around my friend is walking around holding his hand saying I'm O.K. I'm O.K. I'm not convinced. He was a little banged up but nothing broken just some bruusng and a few scrapes.

My bike is not so lucky the bars are twisted and one of the brake lines is ripped from the lever. I Don't have it in me to look any closer. It's covered with dust from the ride and now bleeding hydraulic fluid. My friend offers to fix it and promises to take care of any damage to the bike and motorcycle. Since He is the service manager of my local shop ( I work there occasionally doing tours) I let him take it with him. I trust the guy and we live on a small Island.

A few days have passed and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm hoping you readers can throw out some ideas for me.

Do I let him fix the brake line and call it good?

Did the weight of the bike and him riding over my bike cause some damage to the frame or carbon wheels that can't be seen?

Can I ever trust my bike as I get ready to drop into a knargly line knowing it has been run over lengthwise by approx 350 lb's of dirtbike and rider ( I use the term rider loosly as he was more along for the ride than riding it)

I like this guy but my 4 hour old mountain bike that I spent close to $9000 on will never be the same...

What should I do?

mtbr member
    I read this post because it said "Epic Fail." This was certainly not false advertising.

You are responsible for this situation because your new bike wasn't properly secured and there were motorcycles around. And it sounds like this dude must have been deeply enjoying the BBQ.

So now he is your wholesale connection for life. He'll make it right with time, but be patient and flexible. I'm sure this guy doesn't have $9K to drop on anything. I'd get him to repair your rig. Ride it gingerly at first. Then fuggedaboutit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get it inspected. You should be able to see any damage on carbon such as flaking or missing paint. If not, just ride it. I'm sure it's ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for you reply broz, my mountain bike was under my easy up laying beside my car. How do you properly secure a mountain bike? No my friend wasn't drunk if that is what you are implying

mtbr member
    That's a really difficult one as it's an odd impact. If the bike was run over end to end it could have done all sorts of damage. Psychologically, I don't know if I'd be happy riding that bike again.

Probably the first thing to do would be to carefully check the tracking of the frame and fork, in order to make sure that the front and rear wheels are still in line. If the frame is out of alignment the handling is going to be affected.

I'd want to make sure that the rear suspension is still working too, probably by removing the rear shock and cycling the suspension through its range of motion by hand. The heavy side load from having a motorcycle resting on the rear triangle could possibly have done some damage to the pivot points.

From the sounds of it I'd be inclined to replace the carbon fibre handlebar. The stem has twisted to reduce the strain but the bar has also had a heavy load on it. That's a cheap enough part that it's not worth the risk of leaving it on there.

If the wheels are still true without any broken spokes then I wouldn't worry about them too much.

On the subject of damaging friend's bikes, many years ago I borrowed a mountain bike from a friend whilst mine was waiting for a new fork. I accidentally managed to drop something on the aluminium top tube, putting a big dent in the frame of the borrowed bike. It didn't go down well when I handed it back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

This should make you feel better about carbon. I'm sure the trials bike didn't put much weight on the your Epic bike being it was moving fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Vs779, thanks for the link your right I do feel better. Those Santa Cruz nomad frames are strong. I'm not sure but I think they are quite a bit heavier thus stronger than a xc epic frame?

Dirt Junkie
    Get it checked out at a dealer. I wouldn't trust it. The forces on the bike are from vectors is wasn't designed to be hit from. CF is designed to take stress from a specific direction or directions. I doubt the frame was designed to be run over by a motorcycle. Would you feel comfortable standing on your frame while it was laying on the ground? I know I wouldn't.

If it's toast.......homeowners insurance.

Please tell me you have insurance on a $7k bike.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

old fart
    Mar 2010
    If the wheels are buckled, I'd be more nervous about the impact the frame has received. If the wheels are OK, I'd be less concerned about the frame.

There is only one way to be really certain about the frame, and that is to xray it. The LBS should be able to arrange that through the Spec distributor. Alternatively, a boatbuilder used to carbon would be a good bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    NO YOU DONT LET HIM FIX THE BRAKE LINE.

You let him Make you Whole again. Accidents happen, but you give him time and discuss whats necessary to make FULL restitution. If hes a friend this should NOT take a great deal of time nor should it require constant prodding. The frame needs to be Magnafluxed for any structural defects before you/he puts any $ into it because you two will sign off as a gentlemens agreement on the damage repaired, and you could wind up riding a 9k death machine if another EPIC FAIL takes place while your on it! And, a damaged brake line replacement doesnt constitute being made whole now that the frame/spec integrity is called into play. Again, IF he's truly a friend, he wouldnt want you out slamming around on a questionable machine. His attitude and dispositon when you broach the subject will let you know his intentions and as to whether or not you need to call litigation onto the scene.... Sorry Bro, thank God no one was really injured..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well

^ Sorry, not to sound like a Tool in the above, but this is NOT a $300 Toy he damaged, you need to be made 'Right' before you let this go.....

I hope like #ell someone has phone photos of the 'crime scene'?? Cause its a crime something That nice should get broken.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks for all the replies, I feel a little bit better realizing I'm not crazy for thinking the bike may never be the same. I do have renters insurance but hope it won't come to that. I didn't take pictures at the scene but there where a couple people who witnessed the whole thing. I really think my friend will makes this right. The next step is to go check out my bike and see if there is any more damage. I'll update this thread when I know more. If you have anything to add please feel free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    another thing to take into consideration is that 350lbs from combined weight of motorcycle and "passenger" was actually distributed over both wheels when rolling over the epic, so thats only about 175lbs at any given point (give or take a few lbs) that really should have caused any significant damage to the frame. give it a once over yourself, as well as have somebody else inspect it. if there are cracks have your buddy replace it. if there are scratches you cant live with have him get them touched up. if the only damage ends up being the brake line have him fix it.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyH View Post
    NO YOU DONT LET HIM FIX THE BRAKE LINE.

You let him Make you Whole again. Accidents happen, but you give him time and discuss whats necessary to make FULL restitution. If hes a friend this should NOT take a great deal of time nor should it require constant prodding. The frame needs to be Magnafluxed for any structural defects before you/he puts any $ into it because you two will sign off as a gentlemens agreement on the damage repaired, and you could wind up riding a 9k death machine if another EPIC FAIL takes place while your on it! And, a damaged brake line replacement doesnt constitute being made whole now that the frame/spec integrity is called into play. Again, IF he's truly a friend, he wouldnt want you out slamming around on a questionable machine. His attitude and dispositon when you broach the subject will let you know his intentions and as to whether or not you need to call litigation onto the scene.... Sorry Bro, thank God no one was really injured..
    Magnafluxed? I think the frame would half to be made of steel, hence magnetic to align the grain of the steel, then covered with the dye to look for an interuption of the steel grain to indicate a stress point, could be wrong, but I thought thats how it worked.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    A terrible story, but not the first time this sort of thing has happened. Fix the broken components and move on. If the frame has no apparent damage after checking the seatstays and suspension then it should be fine.