mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Epic Expert is on the way!!! its perfect - now what do I need to change?

Here are the specs....I am having the tires set up tubeless....are the stock tires good or should I switch to racing ralphs? I will probably swap out the saddle for a romin evo pro like my main roadbike. i dont think most people go for more padding on MTBs? I have carbon bars I may put on but I will try it out stock first. Anything else? I am going to try some endurance events and some racing.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    FRAMEFACT 9m carbon front triangle, SWAT EMT tool cradle, 29" geometry, FACT IS construction, M5 rear triangle, tapered headtube, carbon PF30 BB, full internal shift/brake routing, 142mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 100mm
    SWATSWAT MTB XC Kit w/ bottle cages, EMT Tool, and Top Cap Chain Tool
    REAR SHOCKFOX/Specialized remote Mini-Brain w/ AUTOSAG, inertia valve w/ Kevlar hose, Brain Fade adjust, 205x53mm, 100mm travel
    FORKCustom RockShox SID 29 Brain, inertia valve damper, Solo Air spring, tapered alloy steerer, bottom-mount Brain Fade and rebound adj., 15mm thru-axle, 100mm travel
    HEADSET1-1/8 and 1-1/2" threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings
    STEMSpecialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARSSpecialized XC, flat bar, 2014 butted alloy, 700mm wide, 8-degree backsweep, 31.8mm
    GRIPSSpecialized Sip Grip, light lock-on, half-waffle aramid-infused, S/M: regular, Others: XL thickness
    FRONT BRAKEMagura MTS, hydraulic disc, Hi Friction pad, alloy caliper, Storm SL rotor, S/M: 160mm, L/XL: 180mm rotor
    REAR BRAKEMagura MTS, hydraulic disc, Hi Friction pad, alloy caliper, Storm SL rotor, 160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERSMagura MTS, carbon master cylinder, alloy lever blade, hollow lever pivot, reach adj.
    FRONT DERAILLEURCustom SRAM, 10-speed, high direct-mount
    REAR DERAILLEURShimano Shadow Plus XTR, 10-speed, GS mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERSShimano SLX, 10-speed, trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36
    CHAINSRAM PC 1051, 10-speed, PowerLink
    CRANKSETCustom SRAM carbon S-2200, 10-speed XC double, PF30 spindle, removable spider, S: 170mm, Others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge
    PEDALS
    RIMSRoval Control Carbon 29, carbon disc, hookless bead, 27mm wide, 32h
    FRONT HUBRoval Control Carbon 29, 15mm thru-axle, 32h
    REAR HUBRoval Control Carbon 29 142+, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 12mm thru-axle, 32h
    SPOKESDT Swiss Super Comp, 2.0/1.65/1.8 stainless
    FRONT TIRES-Works Fast Trak, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 120 TPI
    REAR TIRESpecialized Fast Trak Control, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 60 TPI
    INNER TUBES
    SADDLEBody Geometry Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
    SEATPOSTSpecialized 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 27.2mm, S/M: 350mm, Others: 400mm
    SEAT BINDERSpecialized 7050 hard anodized alloy, single bolt, 31.8mm
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Seatpost, saddle, bars, stem. You can save over a pound there for not a ton of cash.

That cassette is a boat anchor as well.

I'd call it good after that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Seatpost, saddle, bars, stem. You can save over a pound there for not a ton of cash.

That cassette is a boat anchor as well.

I'd call it good after that.
    +1. And consider XTR shifters too,huuuuuge difference.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If it helps for reference I have an Epic Expert WC with really similar components and am in the process of doing what the others have suggested and have weighted the stock parts:

Bars: 225g
    Seatpost: 303g
    Saddle: 265g

I forget the stem but do not remember it being exceptionally heavy? 120g range I think.

Thanks
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks daniel for your pm and email. I went back and forth between the two. in the end i decided to go for what seems like the more comfy bike and im going to do some endurance races this year and see what happens. I know if i went the WC i would be second guessing myself at mile 60-90 if the bike feels uncomfortable! I also figured that i might need the extra gears if i am blowing up at the end of one of these long rides. My LBS says the WC is almost 2lbs lighter so if i get into racing and its more like the 1-2 hour stuff I may change to the WC or Sworks down the road. For the most part I ride my roadbike so i dont want to spend too much and not ride it enough.

I really went back and forth on whether or not to get an all around bike like the camber or tallboy but it only took one short ride to decide on the epic. I figure the standard expert is racy enough compared to the more trail type bikes

also the website pictures are pretty weak, in person both the WC and normal expert are stunning!
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes