mtbr member
    Mar 2012

epic expert or epic comp carbon?

other than the fork and wheels is there much of a difference?
    any pros or cons? if i get really into it I might out xx1 on it. I mught be able to find some take off wheels....any other differences? what did you get and why? I am going to use this for 3-6 hour endurance races.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone? I like the looks of the comp carbon...maybe that with xx1 or xtr added down the road would be just as good (other than wheels)?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's the same frame so I guess the comp can be build up to be "as good"
    The Expert has better wheels, better fork and better components and in my opinion is the best value for money Epic this year.
    If you like the Comp the way it is get it, you will be happy but if you are going to upgrade all things that are not on it for what the expert has then it's going to an expensive exercise.
    If it were me I would just get the expert ( I didn't take my own advice and was seduced by an s works!!!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buy the most bike you can as upgrades tend to cost more $$$ as you swap things out. Expert would be my choice as you get a dt rear hub and the Magura MT6 brakes. Plus if you XX1 the Experts rear hub will convert, the Comps may not as it is not a DT freehub body. I am not sure what brand it is actually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Regular Expert has the same frame as Comp, but Expert WC is better: 10m instead of 9m carbon and chainstays are also carbon vs M5 alu on the comp and regular Expert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i am in the market for a new mtb. have test ridden the '13 epic comp on sale at LBS for $2400 (from $3K retail). a friend is selling a '11 epic expert carbon comp for $2300 in very good condition.

thoughts on a 4 yr old frame w/ X0/9/7 components, carbon frame, better wheels/crank set/older brain set up/no sag v. a new '13 alum epic with x9/x7 set up, maguro brakes, roval wheels for basically same price? any thoughts would be great.