mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Epic Expert Carbon 29 or Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29

Trying to decide between these 2, having a tough time deciding! The Stumpy isnt out yet and i can get the Epic this weekend. Both are the same price so that's not the issue
    I'm coming off of a Blur LT and want a quicker more efficient bike, never ridden a 29 so I don't know which would be better. Pretty much all So Cal trail riding no big drops, or jumps, no gravity stuff.
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    If you want a slightly quicker and more efficient bike get the stumpy, if you want a much quicker and more efficient bike get the epic. I'd say go for the epic, but I am biased

asyax
    Apr 2009
    If you're not going to be exposed to much gravity stuff go the Epic? I've ridden the alloy Comp and it flew along trails.

Any one found weights on the new 2012 Stumpy Carbon 29ers?

mtbr member
    the epic is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    go sit on the epic, ride it around the streets for a bit. Is it comfy for you?

IMO my Epic isn't the bike I choose for most of my rides due to pure comfort. It's a race bike and does that well, but for normal rides with friends or just out to have fun I would choose the Stumpy (in my case an Enduro). I had a Stumpy and really liked it, thinking about swapping my Epic frame for a Stumpy this winter!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    the epic is plenty comfortable for me, especially with the phenom saddle they use these days. I'd rather have more aggressive geometry and a lighter, faster, more efficient ride versus slacker geometry and a slower ride. grinding uphill with a heavier, less efficient bike is not comfortable to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Get the Epic if going uphill is your thing. Go with the Stumpjumer if it is not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sergei91 View Post
    Trying to decide between these 2, having a tough time deciding! The Stumpy isnt out yet and i can get the Epic this weekend. Both are the same price so that's not the issue
    I'm coming off of a Blur LT and want a quicker more efficient bike, never ridden a 29 so I don't know which would be better. Pretty much all So Cal trail riding no big drops, or jumps, no gravity stuff.
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you ever decide on a bike?