Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rider

Epic Expert 29 - picked it up today

My order came in fast so here it is. I'm not a fan of the white seat, grips and stem so the shop swapped 2 out of 3 for me. 26.25 in size large, right out of the box.
    I hadn't noticed the newer spec with the S-Works tires on it. The Renegade looks pretty racey and might be off and on classified soon.

Compelling, and rich.
    Nice! It looks much better with less white bits.

Be prepared to replace the S-Works tires though.

I split the sidewall on my Captain on the first ride. The Renegade is holding up pretty well, and is actually pretty grippy, but it's just a matter of time before a sharp rock kills the sidewall.
    Last edited by CasteelG; 10-02-2010 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I have the S-Works Captain on my Marathon 29er from this last year and it's holding up well. I have a friend that has had a 2011 Stumpjumper 29 Comp for a month or so that came with the S-Works Renegades and he's already got a cut in the sidewall that's a good 3/4 of an inch long. In their defense though it looked to me more like a box knife slice rather than rock or root damage.

Cheers!
    Last edited by goneskiian; 10-02-2010 at 09:27 PM.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    Nice! It looks much better with less white bits.
    Thanks. I'm not a fan of the white so off it went. Next off is the stem and the red decals on the wheels.

Be prepared to replace the S-Works tires though.
    I think I'm going to peel them off while they're unused and sell them, No sense ripping a sidewall, first ride, on a $60 tire.
    Last edited by Swami Scott; 10-03-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    I think I'm going to peel them off while they're unused and sell them, No sense ripping a sidewall, first ride, on a $60 tire.
    Good idea. I thought the sidewalls wouldn't be an issue for me since I'm light and float over rather than plow through things, but I was wrong.

What are you thinking of replacing them with?

lord of my world
    Very nice! I am waiting on a Stumpjumper HT 29er Carbon Expert!

Sup
    nice to see some bikes ship
    still waiting for my frame, roval wheels and 2011 fox fork
    p.s. looks like your brake spacers are in the wrong order on the back of the bike
    I am slow therefore I am

rider
    What are you thinking of replacing them with?
    Well, not sure. I have plenty of non tubeless options laying around. Of course not as light as what's on the bike! Might look at some Bonty offerings or the Control versions of the Captain and the Fast Traks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    p.s. looks like your brake spacers are in the wrong order on the back of the bike
    Can you elaborate so I can check it out?

Sup
    the silver spacer on the bottom is part of the concave spacer under the caliper

if you zoom in on your bike on the site you can see there is nothing under the black spacer
    I am slow therefore I am

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    It's that way from Specialized it seems. I picked up the same bike and the rear spacers are set the same way. Guess I get to pull it apart when I can get the tubeless set up.

Sup
    cool bike
    give us an update once you get some miles down
    I am slow therefore I am

The Other Dude
    looking good for sure! Awesome bike you have there!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    I can't seem to get the tubeless to work. Went and purchased two of the normal Captain control 29x2.0 2bliss tires. They'll mount and air up with a compressor nearly instantly, but they leak like mad from the eyelets and the valve stem. The Caffelatex I put in was just a foamy mess coming out everywhere after I shook the wheel around at ~25psi.

I'll leave the rear tire mounted with latex in it overnight and see what happens. But the front tire I've dismounted and given up on for now. Clearly I'm meant to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (goat heads) than actually be able to ride more than 3 miles around here.

Also, the rear caliper is actually assembled correctly. The black spacer is concave near the rear brake and the silver washer near the frame is flat on both sides.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadghost
    I can't seem to get the tubeless to work. Went and purchased two of the normal Captain control 29x2.0 2bliss tires. They'll mount and air up with a compressor nearly instantly, but they leak like mad from the eyelets and the valve stem. The Caffelatex I put in was just a foamy mess coming out everywhere after I shook the wheel around at ~25psi.

I'll leave the rear tire mounted with latex in it overnight and see what happens. But the front tire I've dismounted and given up on for now. Clearly I'm meant to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (goat heads) than actually be able to ride more than 3 miles around here.
    Did you check the factory tape job? The tape in the rims on my bike didn't cover about a quarter of the eyelets on either wheel...

Once I re-taped them with two layers of electrical tape (One layer closer the right side of the rim and one layer closer to left. Stretched tightly with little to no air bubbles.) the leaking stopped and I haven't had any issues since.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    I'll have to try that. As far as airing them up, do you go up to 35+ psi right off the bat?

mtbr member
    I had to redo the tape on my Roval wheels too. I stripped off the blue tape that came on them, cleaned them well and used some Stans yellow tape. No leaks now!

Sup
    guess I was wrong again
    I am slow therefore I am

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Electrical tape is not a good idea if you want the rims to stay sealed. It will work its way off due to heat and/or sealant getting it wet.

Why don't any shops adjust the hose angle on the calipers ? Just a pet peeve that is driving me crazy lately. Laziness, pure laziness. Takes 5 seconds for each end.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Electrical tape is not a good idea if you want the rims to stay sealed. It will work its way off due to heat and/or sealant getting it wet.
    I've had rims that have been taped with electrical tape for years and haven't had any issues.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I've had rims that have been taped with electrical tape for years and haven't had any issues.

Must be magic because every time I've stretched electrical tape the gooey adheasive slips and it loosens. And its not even close to moisture resistant.

Compelling, and rich.
    Must be magic because every time I've stretched electrical tape the gooey adheasive slips and it loosens. And its not even close to moisture resistant.
    You must be using cheap tape then, because as I said, I've NEVER had issues with it.

rider
    Why don't any shops adjust the hose angle on the calipers ? Just a pet peeve that is driving me crazy lately. Laziness, pure laziness. Takes 5 seconds for each end.
    I was thinking that myself and I've stared at the funky angle again and again! I'll fix that when I throw my set of XX's on.

mtbr member
    I had to retape my wheels. They came with the blue spec. tape, but whoever/whatever did a terrible job installing the tape. Just picked up a roll of the blue tape and did it myself. You need two layers of tape per wheel (two revolutions of wheel while taping).
    Sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What does that set of wheels weigh? Heard they are on the heavy side.
    Great looking bike.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john
    I had to retape my wheels. They came with the blue spec. tape, but whoever/whatever did a terrible job installing the tape. Just picked up a roll of the blue tape and did it myself. You need two layers of tape per wheel (two revolutions of wheel while taping).
    Sweet bike.
    My tape seems to be covering the holes, but it's just not wide enough I think to adequately seal the spoke holes completely. At <20psi the tire is inflated and nothing is leaking, but once I pump it up to ~30psi or so, it just starts leaking from at least 50% of the spoke nipples and the valve core and sealant cannot keep it sealed.

I have some of Stan's yellow 21mm wide tape on order per this thread on Notubes.com. I'll try just taping over the blue with the Stan's and report back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast