Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Epic Evo - What mods?

Interested in what mods you've done to your 2011 Epic Evo. Rode it for first time today and the ride is superb . It's a nice balance between the racy/quick feel of a standard Epic and supple Enduro.

Weighs 27.09 (M) with XTR970 pedals. I'd like to shed a bit of weight but wont sacrifice the Command post. I plan to convert to tubeless and possibly carbon bars. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Evo - What mods?-100_5781-copy.jpg  

The Other Dude
    I dont blame you for not wanting to drop the command post, one you ride with one, you realize how awesome it is to be able to raise/lower the post with a push of a button, i love them!

Thats a really nice stock build for sure, like you said the carbon bars and tubeless would be great ways to upgrade and shave some grams. Not sure what cassette is on there, but specialized is known for putting heavy cassettes on there stock.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Mountain Man Dan
    Beautiful bike sir!
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    just ride it. that's the best upgrade there is!

mtbr member
    Good bike.

Fore weight :
    > stem (Easton EC90,.....)
    > bar (Easton EC70,......)
    > cassette
    > Brake Rotor (Ashima, formula, .....)
    > tubeless

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster
    Interested in what mods you've done to your 2011 Epic Evo. Rode it for first time today and the ride is superb . It's a nice balance between the racy/quick feel of a standard Epic and supple Enduro.

Weighs 27.09 (M) with XTR970 pedals. I'd like to shed a bit of weight but wont sacrifice the Command post. I plan to convert to tubeless and possibly carbon bars. Thoughts?
    Epic Evo 1x10 converted to 2x10 - Large size at 23.5lbs. Wheels dropped almost 2lbs and will be switching bars to Easton EC90 and dropping another 60g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Evo - What mods?-123_2306_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2nd ride today. Pushed it harder during descent and I'm impressed. Comparing to my 06 Epic Marathon (for sale soon) it doesnt feel like the same line.

CASSETTE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t

I'll look into the bar & stem and keep riding!!

Dual Squishy...
    Check out the SRAM 1080 cassette. You may shave 1/4 lb. alone. Boude's list is good. Could take the rotor thing further and drop some lighter brakes sets on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle43
    Epic Evo 1x10 converted to 2x10 - Large size at 23.5lbs. Wheels dropped almost 2lbs and will be switching bars to Easton EC90 and dropping another 60g.
    Do you wan to sell me the stock 1x chain guide? let me know

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
    Check out the SRAM 1080 cassette. You may shave 1/4 lb. alone. Boude's list is good. Could take the rotor thing further and drop some lighter brakes sets on it.
    1080? I could only find SRAM XG-1099 which weighs 208g vs OE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t at 365.

Now broadcasting from CO
    1080? I could only find SRAM XG-1099 which weighs 208g vs OE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t at 365.
    SRAM doesn't have the 1080 on their wobsite for some reason. I've googled it and found it that way.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

XX strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by seattle43
    Nice ride. The XX (1099) cassette is super light. You concerned with durability/strenght?

mtbr member

Mods to my Epic EVO

Industry Nine XC Wheels
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Exo Tires Tubeless
    XO Shifters
    SWORKS Prowess Carbon Bars
    ODI Grips
    Thomson Seatpost
    Henge SL Saddle
    Race Face Crank Boots
    Candy 3 pedals
    26.0 pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Evo - What mods?-epic-evo1.jpg  

Epic Evo - What mods?-epic-evo.jpg  

The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    steve47co1 - Nice look. Mine's a bit too blingy with all the gold.
    Did you buy the frame set only or a full bike then changed the parts?

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    Industry Nine XC Wheels
    XO Shifters
    ODI Grips
    Thomson Seatpost
    Henge SL Saddle
    Race Face Crank Boots
    Candy 3 pedals
    26.0 pounds.
    What's up with the bell?
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member

Not available as a frame only

Bought the bike and changed out the parts - as of this writing, it is not available as a frame only.
    The bell is for letting people know I am coming - I have had too many close calls in the woods and on blind corners!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Dual Squishy...
    That is one damn sexy bike. Mine should be arriving Wednesday. On a layaway plan and I hope to take delivery in April.

My goal is to get it at or under 25 lbs. Control Post will be swapped onto my Enduro and a Thomson Masterpiece in it's place. Time ATAC Titans, XTR brakes, and a new SRAM 1080 cassette should get it close...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Epic Evo

Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    Industry Nine XC Wheels
    XO Shifters
    ODI Grips
    Thomson Seatpost
    Henge SL Saddle
    Race Face Crank Boots
    Candy 3 pedals
    26.0 pounds.
    Figured, I would see you in this posting!!!! The bell could be bigger though.

Curtis

bike rider
    It's a nice balance between the racy/quick feel of a standard Epic and supple Enduro.
    Isn't that what the Stumpjumper is? I don't get the Evo models and I have to wonder if this was a bad marketing ploy cuz it results in lots of models and overlap. Not good to confuse the consumer. There's already the Epic/Stumpjumper/Enduro/SX going up in travel and down in head angle.

Why did you choose that bike over a regular Stumpjumper?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sorry I menat between Epic and Stumpy. I have Enduro on my mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Installed XX cassette and converted to tubeless dropping .7lbs/320g to 26.38.

Returning the Easton stem (EC90 / $184 / 40g less) & bar (EC70 / $110 / 70g less). Even though both were on sale it's not worth the weight savings & hassle. The end caps on the bar grips do not fit because the inner circumference is smaller due to thick carbon and it's a bit longer 685 which I can live with, but the rise on the Easton stem isnít adjustable making the angle lower than I prefer.

Positive is the weight reduction was all rolling resistance & Iím happy with the overall weight given the drop post and non carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Installed XX cassette and converted to tubeless dropping .7lbs/320g to 26.38.

Returning the Easton stem (EC90 / $184 / 40g less) & bar (EC70 / $110 / 70g less). Even though both were on sale it's not worth the weight savings & hassle. The end caps on the bar grips do not fit because the inner circumference is smaller due to thick carbon and it's a bit longer 685 which I can live with, but the rise on the Easton stem isn’t adjustable making the angle lower than I prefer.

Positive is the weight reduction was all rolling resistance & I’m happy with the overall weight given the drop post and non carbon frame.
    If you still want a lighter bar without the hassle switch to the s-works carbon bar, although I'm not sure on the weight difference it's probably worth 130 dollars and if not you can always return it.

How do you like the bike in terms of geometry and comfort compared to your 06 epic? is the 120mm up front much more forgiving?

Also thanks for the info on the xx cassette and tubeless, i think i've decided to get an epic elite (my local shop let me take it home 2 days ago and now i don't want to give it back) Those will be my first 2 mods and maybe a set of rovals at the same time to try and get it at or under 25lbs.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 02-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The S-Works carbon bar is 170g for 680mm (10g more than Easton). I may go with it on both Enduro & Epic but keep OE stem.

The bike feels terrific. The EVO is more burly without sacrifice to climbing compared to my 06 (still a great bike). Too many differences to list. The most noticeable is during descents the front end doesnt dive during breaking and the rear sticks to the ground - doesnt bounce. I'm sure the steeper head angle is a plus too.
    Last edited by Speedster; 02-06-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Dual Squishy...
    Can't wait to get mine. The list of changes is formulating!!!

W/O pedals, reflectors, and the Command Post lever/cable attached my medium weighed 26.54 lbs. at the shop. Target is 25 lbs. even or less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    so seattle43...1x chain guide, wanna part with it? I have an s-works stumpy running 1x10 just using the front der. as a guide. After market is non-existent till who knows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast