mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Epic crank creak

I've just purchased a 07 Epic and its awsome! Climbs really well compared to my first choice bike (Stumpy comp) and is really fast on the UK trails,but it's developed a annoying creak which is linked with pedal pressure on the right hand pedal.

Anyone had any similar problems? Or know what may be causing it. I've checked the usual things like crank tightness etc,also changed pedals but cannot put my finger on the problem.

It's spoiling a good bike as I've only got 70 miles on it and my previous 98 Trek didn't creak half as much.

Any ideas?

mtbr member

Creak

I've got an 07 stmpy Comp with the Truvative Stylo that creaks like an old barn door. I;ve checked and torqued the crankset three times, cleaned it, checked the headset, checked the FSR linkage, and checked the pedals. It just creaks, so I got over it. My shop is aware of the problem, but without replacement there isn't much to be done. I'm not going to insist that they replace the crankset, what if the next one creaks too? I'll just upgrade later on to an XT. Its just annoying, but as I said, since I know I'm not damaging anything, I'm over it.
    There's no sex in golf...

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I too have an annoying creak on my '07 Stumpy Expert. No performance loss, but it just bothers me to hear it .

Bobm-Save your cash on the XT crank. My expert has them, and it still creaks.

I've lubed the seatpost, greased the pedal thread, crank threads and sprayed chainlube inside the frame itself, just to make sure I've covered most of the metal to metal contact inside and out, no success.

I had an '03 Trek Liquid 10 that had similar issues, but after lubing the seatpost and the frame junction in that area, the creak went away.

Dunno what's causing this , but I hope someone can help us out

mtbr member
    I thought I had a creak on my Epic. Turned out to be the rear derailer cable rubbing the zip ties.
    Tightened the zip ties & put a little wax lube on it, no more creak.
    Last edited by Jacobus; 04-19-2007 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The creak will be solveable. My Stumpy Comp 07 creaked abit when i got it. Turns out they dont have alot of grease on them when new.

So i stripped down the linkage, greased the bolts, bolt heads etc, and it creaks no more. (the join just under the shock mount on the linkage is the place where mine creaks from if not greased properly)

As for your crankset: remove cranks and BB, grease bb faces (bits where it touches the frame) and reinstalled BB. Then take chain rings off the crank and grease all chain ring bolts. Take off pedals and grease threads, put it all back together.

Will no longer creak. Other common areas are seat post, seat rails (keep em clean), stem and bar interface, QRs on both wheels, rear mech hanger. Also creaks often sound like they are coming from one place when in fact they orginate in another.

mtbr member

Creaks n things

Thanks for the info NikNac. I'm not worried at all, now that I know it is nothing that is causing any harm. My worry was that something was not torqued to spec. and that I was ovaling or improperly wearing some surface/interface. Everything is fine, but the bike creaks a little. It flies over everything I encounter and climbs like an ape. Well, an ape that creaks.
    There's no sex in golf...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had the same problem with the stylo, dropped it for an XT and have been happy as a clamb for the last 9 months.

mtbr member
    I also had a creaking noise develop from the drive side crank area on the fifth or sixth ride. It was creaking with every pedal stoke. I dropped it off at the LBS and when I picked it up an hour later, they told me it wasn't the crank at all but it was the chain rubbing the front derailleur. The front derailleur cable stretched so it was out of adjustment. They adjusted the cable and the noise never came back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the help, I think I will get my LBS to strip it down and grease it up.

Don't want to taint a otherwise good bike!

backwoods and backwards
    Niknak got all of 'um but one.I just installed, removed, relubed, reinstalled my BB twice.( XT octalink/ 04 Stumpy )I checked the chainring bolts just as you say and even swaped out the pedalsbut the noise persisted. Then I went to parktool website to see if I missed something, and they recomend loctite where the BB cartidge meets the inside of the removable cup. I never would have thought of that on my own. Park has maybe the most helpful, well designed sites I've come across. It's a great fix, but now all I hear on the climbs is the whistle in my lungs and my pulse in my ears.Anybody got fix for that?

mtbr member
    I sprayed lube where the crank arm/outside bearing meet. Creak no more, thanks to Slippery Spray! Same problem, btw