mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Epic comparision; need help

I am looking at two used bikes of which I'll buy one. My question is what are the differences in the frame of a 2011 S-Works Epic and a 2012 Epic Expert Carbon?

Both bikes are pretty much equal from an appointment perspective.

Any pro & con to either?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    SW has carbon seat stays and chain stays. On Expert those are alloy. The carbon in the SW main triangle is higher grade. The SW fork should have a carbon crown/steerer. Expert: alloy. I think also the SW shock has the more expensive "Kashima" coating. Those are what I know about, frame-wise.

I ride a 2012 Expert. Nice bike, but I'll be upgrading soon to a 2015 S-Works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    From a functional perspective, the main difference is going to be a pound or so weight saving. Maybe less than that. Otherwise I would just look carefully at condition. If one is in better shape than the other, that might be the better choice. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds like the S Works is the way to go. It's a bit rougher than the upgraded Expert, but mechanically it's very good. I have a $3k budget to buy a used XC oriented full suspension 29er, anything else worth considering (probably the wrong forum to ask that). Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In the category of "XC oriented full suspension", the combination of the Horst Link design ("FSR") and the inertia valve technology ("Brain) make the Epic hard to beat.

I bought my 2012 Epic Expert on Ebay at the end of the 2012 season, looking to get a bike that rode like my hardtail but where the rear wheel could do what the front wheel did over roots and rocks. I got it for a good price but it had been ridden pretty hard and had a few component issues. Still, I liked it a whole bunch. Sold my titanium HT, and started slowly fixing and upgrading the Epic. Now I'm at the point that the only things left to upgrade are the frameset and wheels. So, I've ordered a 2015 S-Works frameset and a pair of Control SL wheels. Will end up with enough parts to build 2 good bikes, at which point the refurbished 2012 Expert will be ready for its next good home.

Whichever one you get, I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How important is it that the rear shock and for to be rebuilt? I've been reading that they can be temperamental? Also, has the S-Works frame / shock changed after the '11 model year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The rear shock/ brain typically needs to be serviced by specialized which requires sending it in.
    I also have an epic I will be looking to sell soon if you're still looking. You can PM me for details.
    2013 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
    Roval Control Carbon, RF 1X10 XT+, SW Bars, EC70 SP