mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Epic comp worth it?

Hey, I am planning on getting a 06 Epic and am wondering if the extra$$ for the comp is worth the extra overtime I will have to work. The comp has shimano hydraulic brakes, an XTR derailleur, and a lighter crankset. Anyone think its worth the extra 5-600 bucks. Everything else is the same. Thanks..

mtbr member

Go for it

Ryno-If the extra money is not too much for you I say go for it, I have never regretted the decision to upgrade on this hobby/obsession that we both enjoy. As long as you will use the bike and ride the hell out of it I think spending the extra bucks is worth it for long time enjoyment. Both bikes are great so either way you win. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You make it so easy.

mtbr member

minor note

The XT 760 crankset is not only lighter, but I have used both and I think it is more stiff too. It's a nice upgrade. And while I haven't used XT hydros, those are probably nicer too. But most importantly, how about that "Satin Gray" color choice ...

However, it might also be worth considering buying the Epic Disc and spending the extra $600 on some better wheels. For that money, you could probably get something nice built up (XT-ish hubs/XM819 rims etc.), or a set of CrossMax Enduros, with change to spare. The stock wheels could be kept as backup or sold. Just a thought-- I do like those 760 cranks!

bang
    i say it's not worth it. the truvativ crankset on the epic disc is an external bb unit also, and the avid mechanical discs are the best in the business. also, i've never had any problems with my xt derailer; clean shifts every time (although i've never used an xtr derailer befor).

i say get the epic disc, and spend the $600 on a good custom wheelset. you could get a dt 240s / supercomp / mavic xc717 wheelset for that much (probably a little less), which would be a *much* better improvement than the derailer, hydros and cranks the comp offers.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno7474
    Hey, I am planning on getting a 06 Epic and am wondering if the extra$$ for the comp is worth the extra overtime I will have to work. The comp has shimano hydraulic brakes, an XTR derailleur, and a lighter crankset. Anyone think its worth the extra 5-600 bucks. Everything else is the same. Thanks..
    Here's an option: Buy the XT crankset here for less than $169 shipped. Buy the Epic Disc. Take the Stylos off of the Epic right away and put them on eBay. You can easily get between $125 and $150 for them. You just upgraded your cranks for 20-45 bucks.

You are still up $500-ish. Sell your BB-7's and levers on eBay for maybe $140. You are now ahead $600+, but need brakes. Choose between Avid Juicy, Hope Mono, Magura Marta.

Save whatever's left for when you snag your XT derailleur on a rock or branch and it breaks. Buy an XTR derailleur then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Here's an option: Buy the XT crankset here for less than $169 shipped...
    They're in Britain! Great price but shipping must take forever...

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    They're in Britain! Great price but shipping must take forever...
    3-7 days, from what I've heard.

I'd order myself, but I have a set of RaceFace Atlas 180's on the way for my singlespeed, and if I like them I'm getting another set in 175mm for the geared bike I'm building. If I don't like them, I'll order the XT's for my new bike.

As you probably know, typical mail order prices for the XT's are $240-$275. I saw them at my local EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) the other day for $360.
    Last edited by tvrbob86; 04-04-2006 at 08:22 PM.