Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epic Comp/Expert Carbon vs Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Loll 
#1 ·
I test rode an S-Works Epic 29er on a trail and really like the bike. So I was contemplating getting a lower model Epic. While looking, I came upon a seemingly good deal on an Anthem X Advanced 1 29er, but cannot ride it on the trail. Anyone ridden both and has reason(s) that I shouldn't get the Giant? Thanks!

#2 ·
I recently narrowed my choices for a new bike down to these 2 and one other but bought the Epic about two weeks ago. I rode a friends's used 2012 Giant Anthem X1 and a brand new '12 Epic Comp, which is the entry model. I don't have any reasons YOU shouldn't get the Anthem but I'll give you my rationale on why I didn't:

The top tube on the Anthem was a big concern for me and strike 1. It just seemed unnaturally high on the Med. frame, which is what I've always ridden. Maybe a small would have been better for me, I don't know, but my friend is the same height and build as me. No such issue with the Epic.

The Anthem would not fit correctly on my Saris trunk rack no matter what I tried, so that was strike 2 b/c my car sits too low for a hitch and I refuse to put a roof rack on. The Epic fits awesome with a top tube adapter.

You didn't mention if you're buying new but since I was and I didn't care for the LBS who's the Giant dealer in my city very much- that was strike 3 for sure. I'm a huge fan of the Specialized dealer here- they have treated me very well and gave me a killer deal on the Epic.

Having said all that, my reasons may not be applicable to you. The Anthem X1 is certainly a fantastic bike and worth your consideration.

#3 ·
Giant A29 stand over

I recently narrowed my choices for a new bike down to these 2 and one other but bought the Epic about two weeks ago. I rode a friends's used 2012 Giant Anthem X1 and a brand new '12 Epic Comp, which is the entry model. I don't have any reasons YOU shouldn't get the Anthem but I'll give you my rationale on why I didn't:

The top tube on the Anthem was a big concern for me and strike 1. It just seemed unnaturally high on the Med. frame, which is what I've always ridden. Maybe a small would have been better for me, I don't know, but my friend is the same height and build as me. No such issue with the Epic.

The Anthem would not fit correctly on my Saris trunk rack no matter what I tried, so that was strike 2 b/c my car sits too low for a hitch and I refuse to put a roof rack on. The Epic fits awesome with a top tube adapter.

You didn't mention if you're buying new but since I was and I didn't care for the LBS who's the Giant dealer in my city very much- that was strike 3 for sure. I'm a huge fan of the Specialized dealer here- they have treated me very well and gave me a killer deal on the Epic.

Having said all that, my reasons may not be applicable to you. The Anthem X1 is certainly a fantastic bike and worth your consideration.
I have been riding Giant A29 for 2 yrs and the stand over was NEVER an issue. I am 5'8" on a MED and that would be a good test for SO.
Awesome AM or XC bike. Better clmb and decend than Epic but turns less sharp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.