mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Epic comp carbon 2014 - upgrading with SRAM X9 parts?

I just bought a 2014 Epic Comp Carbon, as a replacement for my carbon 29 HT.
    On the hardtail I have a full 2013 X9 groupset (crank, RD Type2, Elixir X9 carbon brakes, and X0 FD - high direct mount).

I am considering whether I should move some of the X9 components to the new bike.

Which of the X9 components would you consider to be a clear upgrade compared to the stock components on the Epic - and also important, which components fits on the epic ?

The components head to head (stock parts to the left):

Crank: custom SRAM alu crank - vs. X9 2x10
    FD: Custom SRAM FD direct mount - vs X0 high direct mount
    RD: Shimano XT - vs X9 Type 2
    Brakes: Fomula C1 - vs Avid Elixir 9 carbon

I know the FD probably wont fit -but will the brakes, RD (if I switch the grip shifters aswell) fit?

Any comments are welcome.

Christian
    Copenhagen

There's always next year.
    I think I'd personally run the Epic as stock. You didn't mention the BB standard on the hard tail, which would impact how easy it is to flip the crank. The high mount isn't the same as far as I know, and flipping the RD would require dealing with shifters as well. The only reason I pulled the XT off my '13 Comp Carbon was because I had an XTR from previous bike simply sitting in the garage.

Brakes would be a personal choice... but changing them might require new hoses and a bleed or two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't bother changing parts over. Of the parts you listed everything is as good or better on the Epic in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is a wash. If you are looking to upgrade think rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have decided to start with swithing the RD, shifters and brakes.

The XT RD is nice enough, but the SLX shifters that come with the 2014 comp carbon have a really cheepish plastic-look/feel to them. In my opinion, they are really not up to standard for a 5000$ bike. (retail price in my country).

The Formula C1 brakes have a much fluffier and sloppy feel to it, than my old Elixir 9, so I swopped them as well - the brake hose for the rear is a little on the short side, but I think it will do. I will run the Formula's on my HT, if they performed ok, I might switch them back.

As Padrefan mentions the BB will be an issue if changing the crank, so I wont bother with that. Will probably run the custom SRAM-1250 until it needs new chain rings, and then upgrade to X0 or (XXO/XX1) when the time comes.

thank you for your comments.