mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Epic Comp 29r 2x conversion help

Greetin's, Does anyone have experience with swapping out the crankset and converting to a 2x setup on a 2010 model. I E'd FSA in reference to the Afterburner 386. Haven't recieved clear confirmation if it will work. They said it has to do with the bearingbeing they're "Custom Shimano Outerbearings". The Marathon 29r came with GXP and I would think that the BB housing is the same on both models? Thought about the new x9 2x crankset but that of course is for a 2x10 which makes the chain width a possible problem. Anyway has anyone swapped out the Shim FC-M542 for anything of value and if so what type of bearings were used.

mtbr member
    Because it is aluminum it is the same BB shell. I can't speak for whether it is 68 or 73mm though. You will have to measure.

Because of this, you can run any crank/BB combo that you want.

Keep in mind Shimano/FSA are compatible with each other, but Sram GXP is not compatible with the other two. The axle on the non drive side of the GXP is a tapered so its smaller.

Another thing is, when you buy a crank, most of the time it comes with a BB.

You could try the X.9 2x crank. I run an XX with a 9 speed KMC chain and shifting is still the quickest out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

bearings

Thanks for the info. So currently are my bearings considered BB30 or Megaxo compatible or can I go either way? The only thing I know will probably fit is the GXP I talked to a guy at FSA and he couldn't tell me anything more than Its Specialized, Shimano specific. First he said megaxo then he said bb-92. Then he said bb-92 was not right.

mtbr member
    I just measured the bottom bracket shell on my Marathon 29. It's 73mm.

No, you do not have BB30 bearings. BB30 is a complete bottom bracket standard.

Yes, you can put a megaexo bottom bracket in the Epic frame.

The only way to tell if the cranks you want to use will work with the bottom bracket you have is to try mounting them.

Cheers!