mtbr member
    Dec 2011

EPIC COMP 29ER worth 3grand?

So its alot of money and I would pay that much for a good bike

i want a 29er, to be honest i havent been into mountain biking alot lately mostly cause i moved to the city and bought a road bike, a secteur which i love, has helped me lose 50 pounds after getting out of surgary, as i have cancer and am on treatment, ill be able to take the bike out on some nice long rides when i get my strentgh up , like some nice weekend rides or just whenever i can!, i figure this is the bike i am looking for as a mountain bike, i want a full-suppession bike and i want to be able to climb the hills, theres nothing i hate more than getting off my bike, ive never ridin a 29er but what i read about them its kinda what i am looking for.

so out of all the 29ers ive checked out, the EPIC looks the best,but its also the most expessive, any other suggestions???

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would see if you local dealer has a 2012 EPIC they can order in your size. Thats what I did for my 2012 stumpy fsr comp. I got it for 2300 out the door, plus there wasn't very many differences between the 2013 model besides the FOX CTD & 15mm front axle.

Not sure why they retail for 3 g's but I think it might have to do with fox raising their prices for the CTD stuff.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I bet you will have troubles with the brakes after a little while if you get that bike. Be prepared for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm not a 29er fan but you might want to give the 29er stumpy fsr a demo too before you decide on the EPIC. The EPIC is like a road bike on the dirt compared to the stumpy. EPIC is super fast but it depends on what you are looking for. I prefer the stumpy due to my riding area that has lots of rocks, tight turns, and technical steep stuff. It your main riding area is mostly tame I would go with the epic.

As for brakes the avids are okay, I would run those for a year or two then ditch them and get Hopes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One last thing, your not set on a 29er? Do not settle on a 29er until you try the koolaid. Some people hate them, some people love them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Santa cruz tallboy aluminum w/ dxc kit

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    well i definitly am not set i dont have the money yet and it will be a while, at first i was looking at the Trek EX8, as i was just pretty much looking for a FS mountain bike and its alot cheap than the EPIC but someone told me with the 29 inch wheel s you can climb hills alot easier and they were faster so ive been checkin them out but i wouldnt like it if it felt like a road bike, thanks for the replys just looking for some others to check out when i do test them, the shops around here got TREK,SPECIALIZED,SANTA CRUZ,and GIANT

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Definitely try riding a 29r around on trails first. I get up hills quicker on most any 29r, but I regret not having my 26 inch wheel 2011 Norco Range on the downhill. 650b is also a new trend worth considering.

Please use proper punctuation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    eHigh is right, I demoed several 29ers and ended up getting a 26er. They sure do climb and roll over stuff but a 29er just felt sluggish and sucked around tight switchbacks in my riding area. I cant count how many times I had to put my foot down when negotiating technical stuff on a 29er. Im sure over time if I changed my riding style a bit a 29er would be great, but I can just hop on a 26er and ride and not worry about things.

If you are considering a brand I would lean more towards Specialized or Santa Cruz. See if your dealer has a layaway program since riding season is pretty much up and ski season is on its way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    yeh it seems 29ers are more for racing, and wouldnt be to much fun on the trail for most people i get that im definitlly gonna try some out, i thought santa cruz was just way to pricy, but theyve actually got some reasonble priced trail bikes so ill be checkin some of those out for sure, thank you again

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    I'm not a 29er fan but you might want to give the 29er stumpy fsr a demo too before you decide on the EPIC. The EPIC is like a road bike on the dirt compared to the stumpy. EPIC is super fast but it depends on what you are looking for. I prefer the stumpy due to my riding area that has lots of rocks, tight turns, and technical steep stuff. It your main riding area is mostly tame I would go with the epic.
    Wow, I seriously could not disagree more with this statement. Not that I would discourage anyone from shopping around and looking at multiple bikes, but the Epic 29er has to be one of the most versatile bikes that I have ridden. We ride plenty of highly technical terrain where I am (I laughed when someone new to the area said that we only have all mountain-type riding), and the Epic has been fantastic. It does have two weaknesses:
    1) Long high-speed downhills that have larger obstacles that the suspension needs to soak up; this is a limitation of the 100mm travel and the Stumpjumper would certainly have an advantage there
    2) Really tight corners - a fundamental weakness of 29ers

But, the pedaling efficiency is fantastic, it is great in slow, technical rock gardens where lots of travel and/or bobbing suspension will really mess you up, and the fairly slack headtube angle makes for a forgiving, non-twitchy ride. Its plenty capable on the downhills, and I think it strikes the perfect balance for being a great all-around XC bike. I'll be the first to admit I'd love to get a Stumpjumper 29er too, but it would not become my primary bike. And if you can't tell, I definitely fall in the category of riders who thinks that there is such a thing as too much travel, and I personally think that ceiling is much lower than many other people... It totally depends on your local terrain and your riding style.

As for whether an Epic Comp is worth $3000, its a hard call. I love Specialized frames, but I think the builds are pretty lousy. I thought it was a better investment to pay $2000 for the frame and build it up the way that I wanted. In hindsight, it might have been better to buy the full Epic Comp build, sell off the parts I didn't want (wheels, fork) and then replace those with what I actually wanted. However, if they have solved the rear hub problem, then there is no reason not to buy the bike and upgrade it over time. The only thing I'm certain of is that if I needed to buy a bike now, the Epic would still be on my shortlist of bikes.

Incidentally, while I love 29ers, I totally agree with the others that they might not be for you - the only way to find out is to ride one. I also really like the idea of the 650b wheels - I won't be trying them any time soon since my Epic has to last another 3-4 years, but I am seriously thinking about getting my wife a 650b FS bike next season (if I don't get her an Epic 29er )

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    I have the 2013 Epic Comp 29 and love it! The riders on my team have tried it, and 1 of them has already ordered one for himself, while the others are hoping to do the same in the near future. The brakes on the 2012 sucked, Avids; but the Maguras on the 2013 are strong and silent. Love the brain, as well. If you are used to a plush full suspension bike, you will find the Epic too harsh. I am coming from a hard tail Stumpjumper, and the Epic feels like a wet dream! As far as the 29er goes, the geometry has been vastly improved in the last couple years, and the ride feels great. If you are a very experienced rider, you may want to stick to 26, otherwise, a 29er will make you feel much more experienced than you really are . My best friend used to say that real men rode 26ers, until he rode my 29er for the first time on our local trail, and knocked off 2minutes on a 30 minute loop; he ordered a 29er the next week.

Look at what the major bike companies are doing as well, you will be hard pressed to find a 26er from Specialized except for the hard rock and Stumpjumper FSR. Trek did away with most of their 26 hard tails, and only kept the 4 series bikes.

If you need more than 100mm travel look at the Camber or Stumpjumper FSR, but expect a lot of pedal bob on both. If you just want to be faster, and have a hell of a lot of fun with 100 mm, go with the Epic!
    2013 Specialized Epic Comp 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    well the EPIC is definitlly gonna be one of the bikes i test out, i do also like getting air off of anything possible but hows the EPIC with jumping???

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rrighteousdude View Post
    well the EPIC is definitlly gonna be one of the bikes i test out, i do also like getting air off of anything possible but hows the EPIC with jumping???
    I'm not into jumping so I'm not the best to answer the question. However, I'd be willing to bet that lots of jumping isn't going to do anything good for the Brain rear shock - I'd ask the bike shop about that. It's been fine on the 1-2 foot drops that I do, but I would have to assume that you are thinking about bigger things than those.

mtbr member
    it sounds like you may want to look at the camber. its a trail bike that can be raced and the epic is a race bike that can hit some trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I agree with heavyd66. If you like to jump, you don't really want a 29'r, the Camber is a great 26" trail bike for the money. As he mentioned, the Camber is a trail bike that can be raced and the Epic is a race bike that can hit some trail. Another bike you might want to take a look at is the GT Sensor 2.0.

I have an Epic Comp, and love it! I bought the bike with doing some racing in mind. I can tell you I can ride over stuff that I never could before, w/o hopping it, and it climbs great. The 'brain' shock works great, I have had absolutely no issues w/brakes, suspension, or anything else on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The type of bike that you want to get depends upon your riding style. If you like to climb, and go long distances on flat surfaces, you should look at a epic or camber. The 29er is better for climbing, and rolls better over surfaces, but it is harder to control. If you like to climb then descend, I would recommend a stumpjumper fsr. It is great all around, and you can get it in a 26er or 29er depending if you would rather climb more or descend.
    2011 Specialized Stump jumper Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Despite all the mythology, the limiting factor on turn radius is wheelbase; the wheel's diameter has zip to do with it. And I ride a course regularly that has lots of minimal radius switchbacks on both 26 and 29. I just don't get what people are referring to.

Small wheels fall into a corner more readily and you can probably get away with doing it wrong more often but the final limitation is pretty close and it's wheelbase. I actually prefer the stability of 29 in a really tight slow speed situation.

Wider bars can be a bit daunting at full lock, with one end threatening your middle and the other waaayy out there, and 29 just asks for a longer bar. And I suppose there are some 29 bikes and setups that are not friendly on switchbacks but my Heckler is a lot worse at them than my Epic 29.

As for being harder to control, I really don't get that. Sure, it's harder to control if you've hardwired a 26 into your brain and try to do 29 with those settings. I come from motorcycle, road bike, motocross, trials and pretty much everything above a tricycle so I'm accustomed to adapting fast to whatever I'm on. If all you've ridden is 26" then you may have to learn to relearn. I relearned pretty much immediately and most of that was realizing all the stuff you didn't have to do anymore because the wheels are bigger. Sure, you'll have the control problem of gliding into that corner at a speed that feels the same but is really a lot faster, so you have to learn to control your internal speedometer.

The only area that is perhaps 'harder to control' is getting the front end up, due to the longer wheelbase and chain stays. That said, I think it's easier to control once you do get up so there's a tradeoff. The same principle makes controlling the front on steeps easier.

My opinion is that if we had started with a 700c rim back in the dark past, introducing the 'New and Improved 26" Wheel' would be a tough sell to a small crowd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see that most of you have not even ridden a Epic 29er. I own several bikes I have 5 in. F.S.
    and also a 6 inch plus F.S. bike and they are 26ers. I also own a Epic Comp 29er. I love it
    and have even ridden it even at North Star . Now I have to admit the 6in. 26er is the ticket
    for North Star but I could get down anything there on the 29er. It's a great bike to peddle and
    will go anywhere. The only thing I can say that is a little harder to do is wheelies. It's not just
    a race bike it will do everything if u have the skill. One more thing it's not a jumping bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The epic 29er is actually a great bike and even though it climbs well, I use it as an all rounder, it alows me to do drops and jumps despite of 100mm harshness. It is also nimble and I agree that you can go down fast on this bike. I'm riding an Epic comp carbon 29 in the video, it may help you to decide.