Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Epic Comp 29er - Brake Shudder and Vibrations - holy moly!!!!

Has anyone own or ridden an Epic Comp 29er and had issues with the brakes?

I have ridden my bike 3 times now since new. The first two times just on flat so no real braking needed.

My first real off road adventure and holy moly I thought I hadn't done up the head stem bolts. Braking going down a hill the whole front end goes into a shudder and vibrates.

It is really shaky, and it has an audible vibration noise like something is loose. I got off twice to check the brake was fastened and head set was fastened. Took the wheel out and put it back int. Nothing worked - it shudders like mad.

It's only the front. I haven't noticed the rear, it might do it too.

The brakes are Avid Elixir R SL?

pin it ya fairy
    Jun 2009
    avid has had some issues with their rotor/pad combinations, go to your LBS, and ask them to warranty your rotors and pads, or see what they can do to help you out. a couple of my customers at my work had the same issues, sram remedied the problem with organic pads and new rotors. hope this was help for you. and not sure if your hop or if you did, but make sure you have the proper break in for your pads/
    [SIZE="3"]IM JUST REALLY GOOD AT DOING STUPID $H!T[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast29ers
    and not sure if your hop or if you did, but make sure you have the proper break in for your pads/
    Thanks.

What did you mean by this last bit though?

mtbr member
    My '10 Epic Comp 29
    front & back for me, i'll probably have someone look at it in the spring if it doesn't cure itself. It comes and goes for me, it's not always uneven in the feel.

pin it ya fairy
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger
    Thanks.

What did you mean by this last bit though?
    avid has a break in procedure for their brakes. the break in seats the pads and rotors. this is done by riding at a walking pace and slowing down, but making sure not to do a complete stop, do this 15-20 times, next would be a jogging pace, and brake fairly hard and repeat 15-20 times. then bring the pace up to a running pace, 15-20mph or so, and brake fairly hard 15-20 times. do this everytime you sand the pads, on every new bike, or new pads/rotors. just make sure you never come to a complete stop when doing this. this will seat your pads and you should have better braking performance and not have the classic avid howl. i hope this helped you out. but take the pads out, see if they have a shiny surface on them, if they do sand them down to where the glaze is gone, clean your rotors with brake cleaner (spray brake cleaner on the rag and wipe your rotors) and then try the break in. if it continues to vibrate take it in to your LBS and ask about the issue sram is having with their elixers and the pad/rotor combo's.
    [SIZE="3"]IM JUST REALLY GOOD AT DOING STUPID $H!T[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    There are lots of threads in the "brake time" section of MTBR about noise and vibration from Avid Juicy and Elixir brakes.

A few examples with some possible suggestions to try:

The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

My new Elixir Rs or How to stop the dam howling

If you're getting bad juddering from the front brake try sanding down the brake pads in case they've glazed or become contaminated, clean the rotor thoroughly, bevel the edges of the slots in the rotor to smooth them and make sure the rotor is true before bedding the brake pads in again with a series of repeated stops.

I'd triple check the caliper/ rotor alignment as well. The clearances on Avid brakes are very small so it's not that easy to get them perfectly lined up.

It might be worth checking to see whether there's any play in your front hub bearings too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Went for another ride on it this morning, (it's booked in for inspection at bike shop tomorrow).

1. The problem still there.

2. Visible movement at the end of the fork where the calipers attach. It shakes, the mate I was riding with noticed, he said, you can clearly see it "chattering".

3. Brake Rotor disc is HOT to touch. Not just warm, but HOT. In comparison, he rode the same course as me, is a tentative braker, and his brake rotor disc was cool. He's got the Epic Expert 26" though which has the next level Elixir brakes up from mine.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I'm riding an Epic 29er too and have no brake issues. No chatter at all on mine.

Spent a little time to bed them in - as mentioned above - and have no issues. Braking seemed a little light at first, but has broken in nicely and is smooth and powerful now.

The problem isn't likely the brake mechanism itself (so an upgrade isn't needed) but the pad to disc interface. Should be able to work through it by going back through the break in process, but it will take some time and some patience. Spend some time on the pavement with some long steady stopping efforts at first and then work through the break-in. During the process, don't let them chatter. If it starts to, then back off the brake force and keep with the smooth braking. Good luck with the fix!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have an 09 Stumpy Marathon 29r and have the same problem with vibration on the rear brake. I called Specialized and they admitted to the problem advising I should take it back to the LBS. They said as people have posted before that it tends to be a brake problem, however in some cases they have replaced a frame or two. In an case, nothing you can solve direct with Specialized, they just refer you to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just an update.

Took my bike in to LBS. They were shocked and have never noticed such a shuddering/chattering brake. They got the fork to get the shakes up too.

They spoke to the importer and are sending my brakes away for replacement under warranty.

mtbr member
    I was never able to bed in the brakes to avoid the shuddering so I brought the bike into the shop and they replaced the front with the solid avid rotor. Haven't gone on a real ride yet but just a test ride around the block seems to have fixed the shuddering.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros...l-Bulletin.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy
    I was never able to bed in the brakes to avoid the shuddering so I brought the bike into the shop and they replaced the front with the solid avid rotor. Haven't gone on a real ride yet but just a test ride around the block seems to have fixed the shuddering.

Yep, that's my rotors and NO the distributor here in Aus did not replace them with the ones they were supposed to!! I'm a little annoyed. I have ridden the replaced rotor they gave me and it is better then the first but still has issues. I've also noticed the rear starting to be jerky and cause some issues.

Thanks so much for hte link, I'll be emailing it to my Local Bike shop - they will be as annoyed as me as they are not impressed so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy

Great choice in replacement rotors there Avid.... especially for a race bike! I wonder if they work well with XX brakes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    10 Epic Comp, brakes are dead quiet, no issues.

jsg
    desk jockey
    I had some noise like you described, I followed the break in process and it seems to have helped.

Those replacement rotors are not sexy.

Religion = Non-thinking
    I have Elixir 4's on my 2010 RH SL Pro, HOWLING SQUEALING VIBRATING like a mother****er.

They need to get this fixed for real, mountain bikers use their brakes a lot more than the average biker and this is ****. and no, i do not want a solid blanked out rotor that will not dissipate heat and reduce braking performance; thats called taking the cheap quick fix.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    a solid rotor will actually dissipate more heat since it has more mass, it can draw more heat out of the pads. The rotors are cut out simply to save weight.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been dealing with this issue for a long time. I have a 2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT 29. I've tried organic pads, a different brand rotor, a different brand brake adapter with no success. My lbs talked to specialized, and they sent a G3 rotor and semi-metallic brake pads. They didn't send the solid G3. According to Kevin at Specialized, they stopped making the solid rotor, and instead are sending out the G3 rotor made from a new alloy. I haven't tried it yet. I'll report back, I'll probably try it tomorrow.

another thread with the same problem. loud stumpjumper 29er brakes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the problem with the rear brakes, although the front is starting to do it too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    One more thing, my brakes are also elixir r sl's. I really think it is the calipers. I think they had a bad batch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If u want to rid yourself of brake issues get rid of Avid brakes.

s62
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I must say I've got Juicy 7's from '05, and they do the same damn thing. Lots of noise and excessive vibration. Had the rotors warrantied for a different variety (and got bigger ones while I was at it), and it helped only a little at first. Pretty quickly I was back to the same old. I've tried cleaning the rotors, new pads, etc.
    I'm hoping the Elixers on my Enduro won't do the same, but I won't be super surprised if they do. If so, I'll just keep going through the warranty process until I get something that works, or I get some money to get different brakes
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Surprise, the new rotor and pads didn't help at all. My lbs is warranting out the the whole brake system. Hopefully, that will fix it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have three bikes, one with Elixir's and G3 rotors, and the other two bikes have BB7's with G3 rotors, and I have no issues or noise. Have you tried G2 rotors?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've got a 2010 Stump Expert HT 29er with Elixir CRs, same problem.

Friend has a Rememdy with Elixir Rs, same problem.

It doesn't appear to just be a Specialized issue. I'll wait for Avid to come up with an actual fix before I start tearing things apart. Until then I'll have my fillings securely fastened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast