Thread: Epic Comp 26"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Epic Comp 26"

I have been riding a hardtail 29 and considering adding a leftover 26" Epic Comp. General thoughts, opinions, experiences wanted...

Seems like I'd be taking a step backwards, but still intrigued by the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2008 Titus Racer-X which is very similar to an epic, and a Cannondale Flash 29 carbon hardtail. The older 26 inch racer X does not feel at all like a step backward when I get on it. I think the 2 bikes compliment each other very well. The Racer-X with FS and the smaller wheel is much better in on technical trails. I love the way it feels to just keep the front tire light and "Float over rocky terrain. It also allows me to stay seated more and pedal through the rough sections I also have been dealing with some back pain this year and the FS bike reduces it substantially.

The Flash I see as a MTB/Road bike Hybrid. I actually like the fit of it better because due to the 29 inch wheel the handlebars are much higher. Most people run a neg rise stem because of this I got a +5 degree and it feels great. I run a 10 degree rise stem on my X with a high rise bar and its still lower/ less relaxed then the 29er. Personally I think a lot of what people like about the 29er is the more relaxed fit, they just attribute it to the wheels. I have my Flash set-up with 1.8 inch S-works renegades which makes it a great climbing bike but a somewhat scary descender.

I like having both bikes with the FS set-up more for trail riding, and the Flash for XC races. The 2 bikes are different enough I don't feel its a waste to have 2. Plus its nice to have something to ride when one is in the shop. The Best number of bikes is always the number you have now +1.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me