mtbr member

EPIC and carbon fiber seatpost

Anybody in MTBR.com land have any stories to share wrt positives/negatives of a carbon fiber seatpost with an Aluminum EPIC? I was thinking of converting to a carbon fiber seat post and TI rail saddle to take the edge off given the EPIC is a bit harsh at times. I have heard horror stories of carbon seat posts catastrophically breaking (eg Easton 70).. Would adding these expensive items even take the edge off or am wasting $$$?

The Other Dude
    Specialized makes a new carbon MTB post, i would trust it, but its also $200 retail. I am running a hollow Ti toupe saddle without issues, i actually love it compared to the Rival that came on the bike.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I've had 5 Epics all but one had an Easton post. I've never had a problem.
    Damn thats a lot of Epics.

CJA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a Race Face Next post (the older style without the funky adjuster thingy) and have had no dramas to date.

Cheers,
    C
    Cheers,
    Cam

Tribe Member
    I ran a Sycnros carbon post with an all carbon SLR on my Epic. Never had a problem with it. I could see how someone might have a problem with a carbon post if they were using a 27.2 post with an adaptor for 30.9 though.

If you get a 30.9 post, you should be fine.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member

Any improvement in Dampening going to Carbon Fiber?

Thank you for the feedback on the durability of carbon seatposts. If you go to MTBR reviews you will see there are some scary stories on instantaneous breakage. What am now wondering as one comment pointed out, a carbon seatpost is nearly $200 and would it really improve dampening on a alum EPIC? Some folks noted making a switch to carbon from alum.. any noticeable improvements? Please share your thoughts!

Got Homebrew?
    Here's another question on the carbon seat post theme:

I had a bike mechanic tell me that I can't run a carbon seat post on a carbon frame, is this really true? I don't really believe him.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    Thank you for the feedback on the durability of carbon seatposts. If you go to MTBR reviews you will see there are some scary stories on instantaneous breakage. What am now wondering as one comment pointed out, a carbon seatpost is nearly $200 and would it really improve dampening on a alum EPIC? Some folks noted making a switch to carbon from alum.. any noticeable improvements? Please share your thoughts!
    I actually had a carbon post fail on my steel hardtail(from never removing it...my bad) anyway it wasn't catastrophic, it just seemed like the nose of the saddle was high at the end of a harsh decent. When I checked it the saddle would rock front to back 1 inch. I only had a couple miles ride out but I noted that I still was making corrections with the saddle between my legs. When I went in to the shop to dig it out of the frame. At the shop I went to break it off and it was not easy. Once I had the saddle and upper part of the post in my hand I was pleased to find two thick fiberglass viens running down each side of the post and appearently holding it together peretty well. Made me feel much better about Easton carbon.
    Yes it smooths it out some, not a scientific observation.