Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Epic Carbon Expert 2013 model thoughts

Well it looks like it might be one of these babies im getting when my injured back is OK and that which size i shall have

SInce i have a pretty serious back injury im not sure i have the same height (182cm) i might be a 17,5" size now but time will show fortunately the Epic Carbon expert 2013 is a 19" and just before last Christmas it was just right in size now after the accident i might have compressed my spine and thus be a bit shorter, but as soon as i get this thing i have on me i can try out a 17"5 and a 19" and see if there is any difference.

so what you all think 2014 WC or 2013 (white) epic expert?
    regards
    pekka
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 11-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hello! I think the new 2014 Epic its the best looking 29er bike ever created!! and Im going to try to get the sworks WC in white.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er M
    2011 Stumpjumper S-Works HT 29er 19"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    Well it looks like it might be one of these babies im getting when my injured back is OK and that which size i shall have

SInce i have a pretty serious back injury im not sure i have the same height (182cm) i might be a 17,5" size now but time will show fortunately the Epic Carbon expert 2013 is a 19" and just before last Christmas it was just right in size now after the accident i might have compressed my spine and thus be a bit shorter, but as soon as i get this thing i have on me i can try out a 17"5 and a 19" and see if there is any difference.

so what you all think 2014 WC or 2013 (white) epic expert?
    regards
    pekka
    wow...compressed back - yikes. I have an EPIC SW, and this is a 'firm' ride. Even with the brain open and low tire psi, this is still a firm ride. BUT, if you really want one and your 182cm I would say large. I am 175cm and ride a medium with a 100mm stem, and the saddle in the middle.

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok so maybe a Stumpy FSR would be more "friendly" to my back in the future?
    I have on the other hand wanted taht Epic Carbon Expert 2013 since i saw it and might have a chance to get it as a replacement bike but is really more like a HT than a "plush" FS bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yeah the stumpy fsr its way more relax than the epic, I had a stumpy fsr expert evo 29 size M, Im 180cm 34inseam and I could not raise the seatpost high enough for my measure, I change the seatpost for a 400mm and not even with that, dint work, so be careful what size you choose. Still my personal choice its the epic any day.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er M
    2011 Stumpjumper S-Works HT 29er 19"

mtbr member
    go for the new 2014 wc epic is beautiful and so light it will help u!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thx yeah i might take the Epic WC if i can afford it other wise i think the Carbon expert 2013 white is a good steup from HT
    but yeah i want the epic WC so bad but it isnt cheap

mtbr member

Epic Carbon Expert World cup 2014 or 2013 model

Take the 2014 with that redesigned frame.
    Anyways here's a good vid on the 2013:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UL41AXVuSOo&feature=relmfu

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by molopoko View Post
    Take the 2014 with that redesigned frame.
    Anyways here's a good vid on the 2013:

Wathan Trail Descent @ Horsetooth Mountain Park on a 2013 Specialized Epic Marathon - YouTube
    that was one bumpy ride geez how did he avoid all of those rocks and other obstacles
    i wont be riding that ruff terrain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    im thinking between the EPIC WC 2014 or maybe the 2014 comp same frame not as fragile as the WC and cheaper and no 1x11 drivetrain but still its an epic

mtbr member

How much is the comp carbon?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well the Expert WC is like 50+K in Sweden
    so it is rather expensive but if i can afford one of the 2 experts it will be my first 29er FS carbon bike ever so i think the 2013 expert is a good first carbon MTB well i think anyways

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well it looks like im gonna get the bike i have been wanting since last christmas
    the Epic carbon expert 2013 white/red/black

but now i saw the Stump jumper fsr elite it has nice components and the command post it is cheaper than the Epic but still the epic has something and i just cant let it go it has an appeal i guess that just is something else
    well pic to come once i have a new bike either it is a Fsr or Ht
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 08-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi one thing i forgot to ask if any of you have the experience

as said i live in Sweden northern part and we have temps down to -25 Celsius not that i ride my bike(s) in that cold weather, but i do ride them/it in -10-15 degrees Celsius
    how does the FSR thing and carbon fiber construction react to cold weather especially since i comes form warm in house temp to cold temp?
    and in some parts as where i live they use salt on the roads to keep them dry and ice free how does the pivots and suspension/mini brain react to all this that has to do with winter and spring/summer? cassette and chain i know is a good thing to change after winter/spring as summer comes along.
    So am i big trouble riding a carbon epic/ M5 alloy stumpy in these weather conditions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in Michigan and ride my Epic Comp Carbon in the winter, and the bike does just as well as any other bike. Carbon frames have no issue with cold weather, don't worry about that. The suspension oil thickens in cold weather which makes the dampers slower. This affects all types of oil based suspension and is not unique to the Epic. You can adjust the damper to a faster setting to reduce the effect of the cold.

I try to avoid riding my bike in salt conditions. I have a cheap road bike with full fenders and studded tires that I use on salty roads. The pivots and shock are sealed, so the salt shouldn't get in. Your drivetrain will take most of the abuse I think. Consider getting a cheap used bike for salty days. It will save money in the long run. Fenders are really nice to have in the winter. Since the Epic has no fender mounts, I usually only ride it if the roads are dry or the temperature is below freezing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @WillTheGreat

ok thx well i try and use the snowcovered roads made for pedestrians and cyclists they are often hardpacked and sometimes little icy but i have like 294 spikes/tyre so im good in that department, it is a the spring the roads get a bit tricky as the snow melts the oil and other stuff makes some puddles that might be less good for the bike and clothes, but that is what one gets for living in Sweden

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It seems as it will be the Epic Carbon Expert 2013 model.
    i am about to get the deal of my life on this baby so i cant resist since i want the brain fork and brain rear schock
    so i hope once i can sit on a bike again it meets my expectations
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i measured my inseam it is somewhere between 85-86cm my length is nowadays 181-181,5 cm so i do think i belong to the large group still 17,5" frame might be too short?

mtbr member

Same to me. I have 87 inseam and M seattube is too short.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    HI
    All you guys that have had the brain function rear and front.
    How does it really work sure i have heard it is firm until you go off road i have even seen the rear brain how it looks inside and seen that "piston" that records the bumps so the rear suspension gets to work.

what i dont know is how i set it up properly do i just turn the knobs to where it says brain, and that would be it?
    i know it cant be that simple there is surely rebound settings and such.

so how doe is it work in real life and is it difficult to set up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's simple to set up. The rebound setting is like any other fork/shock and the brain setting controls how active the fork/shock is. It's not rocket science and you set it up to suit your own preference. I set mine very close to full firm and never change it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thx cant wait to get on the saddle again

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yeah guys i found out today that i will be a owner for the Carbon expert Epic 2013
    the insurance company gave me what i expected to get so like said i got a super deal on it.
    it is my first ever carbon/alloy FS bike and the best part it is brand new.
    at least i expect it to be mine even if i cant test it yet but i will be able in 4W+ time to at least sit on it, last time i sat on it it was love instantly it was like maid for me, and the epic frame isnt that big if compared to say the carve 19"

ohh one more thing shall i replace the magura breaks to XTR M988 breaks?
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well it is done i paid cash some part and the insurance company pays the rest on my new

i will also be adding these items

i might replace the X7 FD to a XTR FD

well all i need now is get my back in shape to nest season and im set for some awsome biking i hope at least

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Beautiful bike ..have fun and stay safe

PS See how the Maguras go..the best set of brakes I have owned were the old Magura Martas but I haven't run any of the newer versions. I run XTR M988 on one bike and I am not a fan..they lack power and need bleeding way too often! I will be swapping them out when I can.
    Last edited by tahic; 09-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast