Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Epic Carbon Expert 2013 model thoughts

Well it looks like it might be one of these babies iīm getting when my injured back is OK and that which size i shall have

SInce i have a pretty serious back injury iīm not sure i have the same height (182cm) i might be a 17,5" size now but time will show fortunately the Epic Carbon expert 2013 is a 19" and just before last Christmas it was just right in size now after the accident i might have compressed my spine and thus be a bit shorter, but as soon as i get this thing i have on me i can try out a 17"5 and a 19" and see if there is any difference.

so what you all think 2014 WC or 2013 (white) epic expert?
    regards
    pekka
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 11-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hello! I think the new 2014 Epic its the best looking 29er bike ever created!! and Im going to try to get the sworks WC in white.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er M
    2011 Stumpjumper S-Works HT 29er 19"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    Well it looks like it might be one of these babies iīm getting when my injured back is OK and that which size i shall have

SInce i have a pretty serious back injury iīm not sure i have the same height (182cm) i might be a 17,5" size now but time will show fortunately the Epic Carbon expert 2013 is a 19" and just before last Christmas it was just right in size now after the accident i might have compressed my spine and thus be a bit shorter, but as soon as i get this thing i have on me i can try out a 17"5 and a 19" and see if there is any difference.

so what you all think 2014 WC or 2013 (white) epic expert?
    regards
    pekka
    wow...compressed back - yikes. I have an EPIC SW, and this is a 'firm' ride. Even with the brain open and low tire psi, this is still a firm ride. BUT, if you really want one and your 182cm I would say large. I am 175cm and ride a medium with a 100mm stem, and the saddle in the middle.

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok so maybe a Stumpy FSR would be more "friendly" to my back in the future?
    I have on the other hand wanted taht Epic Carbon Expert 2013 since i saw it and might have a chance to get it as a replacement bike but is really more like a HT than a "plush" FS bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yeah the stumpy fsr its way more relax than the epic, I had a stumpy fsr expert evo 29 size M, Im 180cm 34inseam and I could not raise the seatpost high enough for my measure, I change the seatpost for a 400mm and not even with that, dint work, so be careful what size you choose. Still my personal choice it’s the epic any day.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 29er M
    2011 Stumpjumper S-Works HT 29er 19"

mtbr member
    go for the new 2014 wc epic is beautiful and so light it will help u!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thx yeah i might take the Epic WC if i can afford it other wise i think the Carbon expert 2013 white is a good steup from HT
    but yeah i want the epic WC so bad but it isnīt cheap

mtbr member

Epic Carbon Expert World cup 2014 or 2013 model

Take the 2014 with that redesigned frame.
    Anyways here's a good vid on the 2013:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UL41AXVuSOo&feature=relmfu

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by molopoko View Post
    Take the 2014 with that redesigned frame.
    Anyways here's a good vid on the 2013:

Wathan Trail Descent @ Horsetooth Mountain Park on a 2013 Specialized Epic Marathon - YouTube
    that was one bumpy ride geez how did he avoid all of those rocks and other obstacles
    i wonīt be riding that ruff terrain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    iīm thinking between the EPIC WC 2014 or maybe the 2014 comp same frame not as fragile as the WC and cheaper and no 1x11 drivetrain but still itīs an epic

mtbr member

How much is the comp carbon?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well the Expert WC is like 50+K in Sweden
    so it is rather expensive but if i can afford one of the 2 experts it will be my first 29er FS carbon bike ever so i think the 2013 expert is a good first carbon MTB well i think anyways

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well it looks like iīm gonna get the bike i have been wanting since last christmas
    the Epic carbon expert 2013 white/red/black

but now i saw the Stump jumper fsr elite it has nice components and the command post it is cheaper than the Epic but still the epic has something and i just canīt let it go it has an appeal i guess that just is something else
    well pic to come once i have a new bike either it is a Fsr or Ht
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 08-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi one thing i forgot to ask if any of you have the experience

as said i live in Sweden northern part and we have temps down to -25 Celsius not that i ride my bike(s) in that cold weather, but i do ride them/it in -10-15 degrees Celsius
    how does the FSR thing and carbon fiber construction react to cold weather especially since i comes form warm in house temp to cold temp?
    and in some parts as where i live they use salt on the roads to keep them dry and ice free how does the pivots and suspension/mini brain react to all this that has to do with winter and spring/summer? cassette and chain i know is a good thing to change after winter/spring as summer comes along.
    So am i big trouble riding a carbon epic/ M5 alloy stumpy in these weather conditions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in Michigan and ride my Epic Comp Carbon in the winter, and the bike does just as well as any other bike. Carbon frames have no issue with cold weather, don't worry about that. The suspension oil thickens in cold weather which makes the dampers slower. This affects all types of oil based suspension and is not unique to the Epic. You can adjust the damper to a faster setting to reduce the effect of the cold.

I try to avoid riding my bike in salt conditions. I have a cheap road bike with full fenders and studded tires that I use on salty roads. The pivots and shock are sealed, so the salt shouldn't get in. Your drivetrain will take most of the abuse I think. Consider getting a cheap used bike for salty days. It will save money in the long run. Fenders are really nice to have in the winter. Since the Epic has no fender mounts, I usually only ride it if the roads are dry or the temperature is below freezing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @WillTheGreat

ok thx well i try and use the snowcovered roads made for pedestrians and cyclists they are often hardpacked and sometimes little icy but i have like 294 spikes/tyre so iīm good in that department, it is a the spring the roads get a bit tricky as the snow melts the oil and other stuff makes some puddles that might be less good for the bike and clothes, but that is what one gets for living in Sweden

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It seems as it will be the Epic Carbon Expert 2013 model.
    i am about to get the deal of my life on this baby so i canīt resist since i want the brain fork and brain rear schock
    so i hope once i can sit on a bike again it meets my expectations
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i measured my inseam it is somewhere between 85-86cm my length is nowadays 181-181,5 cm so i do think i belong to the large group still 17,5" frame might be too short?

mtbr member

Same to me. I have 87 inseam and M seattube is too short.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    HI
    All you guys that have had the brain function rear and front.
    How does it really work sure i have heard it is firm until you go off road i have even seen the rear brain how it looks inside and seen that "piston" that records the bumps so the rear suspension gets to work.

what i donīt know is how i set it up properly do i just turn the knobs to where it says brain, and that would be it?
    i know it canīt be that simple there is surely rebound settings and such.

so how doe is it work in real life and is it difficult to set up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's simple to set up. The rebound setting is like any other fork/shock and the brain setting controls how active the fork/shock is. It's not rocket science and you set it up to suit your own preference. I set mine very close to full firm and never change it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thx canīt wait to get on the saddle again

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yeah guys i found out today that i will be a owner for the Carbon expert Epic 2013
    the insurance company gave me what i expected to get so like said i got a super deal on it.
    it is my first ever carbon/alloy FS bike and the best part it is brand new.
    at least i expect it to be mine even if i canīt test it yet but i will be able in 4W+ time to at least sit on it, last time i sat on it it was love instantly it was like maid for me, and the epic frame isnīt that big if compared to say the carve 19"

ohh one more thing shall i replace the magura breaks to XTR M988 breaks?
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well it is done i paid cash some part and the insurance company pays the rest on my new

i will also be adding these items

i might replace the X7 FD to a XTR FD

well all i need now is get my back in shape to nest season and iīm set for some awsome biking i hope at least

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Beautiful bike ..have fun and stay safe

PS See how the Maguras go..the best set of brakes I have owned were the old Magura Martas but I haven't run any of the newer versions. I run XTR M988 on one bike and I am not a fan..they lack power and need bleeding way too often! I will be swapping them out when I can.
    Last edited by tahic; 09-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    oh okay the i wonīt change the brakes as i understand the bed in is a bit of a drag not sure what bed in means?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bedding in brakes is essentially laying down a nice, even transfer layer of pad material on your rotors to improve performance. All disc brakes benefit from this. Usually done by repeating high speed braking to near stop reps when pads are new but each manufacturer has slightly different instructions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok i see thx mate i have finally a date as when i am free of my "prison" that is a so called "corsett" where my back is supported and head in place as well so no looking down no turning left right and so forth.
    so 4W and iīm hopefully on a rehab plan and a step closer to get back on the saddle feels so good

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well this is me on my new bike wich i canīt start riding until perhaps Dec. makes me mad since i want to ride it now but i canīt ypu can also see a bit of the "thing" iīve been carrying since late july and i need to carry it until hopefully 10th of october

well it looks kin of small but that is because i canīt bend my back due to the thing i wear

mtbr member

If you're recovering from a serious back injury my suggestion for the initial setup would be to have the fork and rear shock brains full open to begin with, for the plushest most comfortable ride to try and avoid jarring your back.

Are you allowed to do any exercise, such as riding a stationary bike? If you are you could always put the Epic on a turbo trainer with a slick tyre on the rear wheel.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/kinetic-t...-305-l-en.html

Last edited by WR304; 09-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    as of now i have no ideas of what kind of exercise i will be allowed to do initially after they take this "corset" off, one of all the doctors i met said i would have to begin with swimming or possibly doing some exercise in the water.
    but yeah putting the epic on a trainer would be awesome

but man did i love to sit on it yeah soo much
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-17-2013 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member

Hydrotherapy is really good. I've been having hydrotherapy twice per week since the start of July. It's helped a lot to get my broken leg moving again. The water reduces your bodyweight so it's easier to do exercises whilst the muscles are weak.

With injuries you just have to be patient, remind yourself it won't last forever and look to the future. Whilst you're delivering a climbing masterclass on your Epic in the hills next year the current issues will seem like a distant memory. It sucks now but the new bike is motivation to work towards when you're pushing hard in physiotherapy to get fit again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thx

yeah i guess that hydrotherapy is what i will be doing as soon as i can, and yeah watching the uci worlcup XCO and DH motivates a lot and seeing the bike yesterday and sit upon it made me wish time would fly
    so yeah rehab will take sometime to get fit again

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very nice!
    Could ypu post more pic's please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    here is a few i havenīt gotten it home yet there is a few more thing that needs to be added to it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    itīs gonna be so cool because of the helmet iīm gonna guy

another picture of my brand new carbon/alloy Epic iīm so stoked never owned such a cool bike Specialized know how to make cool bikes

i canīt wait to get on and ride it only thing is it will be winter and snow but thatīs fine too itīs always good to ride in winter conditions it gives a fair amount of balance training and that is never a bad thing

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    I canīt wait to get on and ride it only thing is it will be winter and snow but thatīs fine too itīs always good to ride in winter conditions it gives a fair amount of balance training and that is never a bad thing
    If you live in Sweden I'd say that counts as "proper" winter riding. What tyres do you normally use? Ice spike tyres or a heavily treaded standard tyre?

Before riding your new Epic in winter conditions I'd suggest stripping the bike down completely and putting marine grease in the rear suspension pivot bearings, around the headset bearings (very vulnerable) and making sure that the drain hole in the frame bottom bracket shell is drilled open and fully functional to let water out of the frame. That will extend the life of the bottom bracket bearings.

The problem with Specialized full suspension bikes is that they're designed in California. Riding in bad conditions always seems to be a bit of an afterthought when they're being designed. The rear suspension pivot bearings don't last long in bad weather.

On the 2012 Epic Expert carbon 29er the aluminium chainstays are open and unsealed at the dropout ends. (I don't know if it's changed on the 2013 Epic Expert carbon). When riding in extremely heavy rain or doing river crossings the chainstays fill with water, which is unable to get out again due to the angle they're at. If you've been soaked then turning the bike on end lets them drain. Last year (riding in the UK, wettest year in a long time) the most I got out was about half a glass of water from the chainstays alone!

A few days ago I'd been caught out in the rain, after getting back home my 2012 Epic Expert carbon 29er was stood in the kitchen before I cleaned it. There was an ever growing puddle underneath the bottom bracket as the water came out from inside the bottom bracket. All I could think was "there goes the Chris King ceramic bottom bracket. I wonder how long it will be before I get to test the five year Chris King warranty?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok well iīm not sure when exactly i am able to ride a bike again, but when i will iīll check through the bike so iīm not in for some nasty surprises

mtbr member

It's more about preparing your new bike so it will last a bit longer than nasty surprises when you first ride it.

It's also something to do to kill the time whilst you still have your back held in place. My bike spent a year parked up after I crashed in August 2012. Every now and then I'd do some of the odd jobs that were needed on it, despite being unable to ride, more as therapy really. Even so, when I was finally ready to ride it a couple of weeks ago it still needed work doing to it, delaying being able to ride outdoors even further.

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok yeah well the LBS needs to change the shifters to my XTR and the FD to Xtr and the bar to a S-works carbon Enduro Low rise bar and some other small changes before i can get it home so while i wait for the judgement from the doctors i also wait for the bike to be ready for transport home
    i do want it home so i can shine it up a bit

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i use spike tyres 294 of them on each tyre

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    one thing i came to think of is
    the Magura MT6 brakes shoudl i keep them or should i replace them with XT/XTR brakes?
    how good are the MT6īs in comparison to other brakes?

mtbr member

Apparently the Magura MT6 brakes aren't too bad.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/03/29/...6-disc-brakes/

I've got Shimano XTR Trail M988 brakes (180mm Ice Tech front brake rotor, 160mm rear brake rotor and finned pads) on my Epic and they're fantastic one finger brakes. They take a little thinking about applying pressure smoothly if you're used to other manufacturers brakes, as the feel is a bit different, but after that they're confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    you mean if iīm used to the AVID elexir 5rslīs and go to xtr and apply as much power on the xtrīs theyīll throw me off or?
    what i mean is i need less power on xtrīs than the elixirs?
    probably on the mt6īs too

mtbr member

There's always an initial learning curve switching to new disc brakes. Each type of brake has its own quirks and lever feel that takes time to get used to. I always start off cautiously with new brakes, gently finding how they respond before pushing too hard.

The difference in feel between Shimano disc brakes and a brake such as Avid Elixirs is in the lever action. The Shimano XTR M988 Trail and Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes (but not the Shimano XTR M985/987 Race brakes, which use different levers, lacking reach adjustment and the cam for weight saving) have a servo wave cam in the brake lever. This gives the lever action two stages when you pull it, an initial movement when you first pull the brake lever, quickly accelerating the pads to contact the rotor, and then a gentler feel for modulation and control once the pads are engaged.

The reason for the two stages is to give additional brake pad / rotor clearance when the pads are retracted, to cut down on brake rub or friction without needing excessive amounts of lever throw. The servo wave cam moves the brake pads more for the amount of brake lever pulled initially.

Shimano XTR M988 brake pad / rotor clearance

In use this two stage action is why you sometimes hear people complaining about the feel of the current Shimano brakes, especially when they're new. The trick is to gently apply the brakes initially until you feel the pads contact the rotors. If you grab a handful of brake without thinking the initial servowave kick will exaggerate the effects resulting in a grabby feel. See the comments in the first post here as a demonstration of how not to do it...

Hope M4/X2 vs. 2012 Shimano XT: Direct Comparison

Something that I find greatly reduces any issues is to regularly oil the servowave cam and lever pivots. This makes for a much smoother feel. Practicing just rolling down a hill and gradually increasing pressure to find the brakes bite point is a good starting point also.

Putting oil on the brake lever cam and pivots

The next time you're in the bike shop see if they have a show bike with Shimano brakes on and give the levers a squeeze for an initial impression.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok well they do not have any bikes with XT/XTR but neew craves come with deore brakes i think. i have tested the feel of the mt6īs when i tried the bike to see if it was too large but it was just perfect.
    the mt6īs felt like any other brake well iīl see if i go XTR further on after i get to ride it in the spring/summer
    nide to know that about the M988īs

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    this bad boy came today it was like holding a aluminum bar but itīs all Fact carbon hard as iron wonīt bend in the first place

so all that is missing now for the remake or modded version is the XTR FD
    this one

and these shifters are gonna be installed with the bar:

guess iīm gonna get some new photos of it when it is done

itīs gonna be so much fun to get up on it when iīm ready for it, i jsut hope i wonīt get any surprises from the hospital in a 2W time

mtbr member
    For a 2013 Specialized Epic (if you're keeping the SRAM S-2200 double chainset with its 38/24 tooth chainrings) you need a Shimano FD-M985-E2 double direct mount front derailleur. This can work with either a 38 or 40 tooth outer chainring on a double chainset.

Wiggle | Shimano FD-M985 XTR 10-Speed Double Front Derailleur | Front Derailleurs

Hopefully the bike shop has ordered the correct model. If the front derailleur in your picture is what's been ordered it won't fit onto your frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ohh **** hope it is the right one itīs a dual pull thatīs all i know M986 something if i remember correct otherwise i sell the one ordered and keep the X7 for the rime being
    iīll write up that model name so i can order the right one it this do not fit
    thx for the heads up

mtbr member

There are so many different types of front derailleur at the moment. It makes compatibility harder than it really needs to be.

If you're swapping from SRAM X-7 to a Shimano XTR front derailleur on a 2013 Specialized Epic you may need some additional mounting hardware too before the Shimano front derailleur will fit. The bike shop should be able to sort you out with what's needed.

I replaced my Shimano Deore XT M770 front derailleur with a new one today too. The old front derailleur had worn out. The parallelogram pivots were so sloppy that the derailleur was twisting and the chain was overshifting straight off the outer chainring, as I discovered a couple of times last week.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast