mtbr member
    May 2007

Epic Broken Chainstay

So I was going up a technical climb when I noticed my rear tire rubbing. Thinking that I broke a spoke, I stopped to look. Thie picture tells the rest of the story. The bike is only 2 years old (2005 model) and unfortunately I don't have the original receipt. I purchased it 2 years ago like new from someone who had never even taken it past the parking lot. Any suggestions on getting a warranty replacement? It didn't come from a LBS either.
    chainstay break.JPG

shoes
    holy crap...did you try a drop/jump or something? Don't think they will warranty the rear triangle, is that on a weld?
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

Trying a little
    So you bought this 2nd hand now it's broken and you're going to try to get a warranty for it? tough noogies. Your best bet is to stroll into a local bike shop who carries a lot of specialized and ask them about it. If you are honest, don't lie, and your story rings true you might get a sympathy rear triangle out of the deal. If not you have to buy a new rear triangle or get it welded. It can be re-welded, ya know.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nope, no drops. I noticed the tire rubbing while I was going up a climb on the fitness trail at the JCC . It's an XL frame and I am 6-3 180 pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    it'll probably cost you around 100 bucks. i bent the seatstay on a 07 stumpy and I had one 5 days later with bearing and hanger for $100 from my lbs. not too bad i thought.

Go outside!
    But don't forget to heat treat it if you do weld it. You could shop around for a new rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would find out how much a replacement Chain stay is. I'd bet it won't be that much, especially compared to the frame . and when you go to you local specialized dealer don't voluenteer that you are not the origianal owner , you never know , you might get lucky on a warrenty. are you on good terms with your locla Bike shop ?

You should add that Picture to this thread

Lets see Pics of you Broken Specialized frames!
    I'm Better known as Splat

Go outside!
    Be honest with them though noone likes to be lied to and you want your LBS to be on your side. But I would try to just buy a new triangle, that's just me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpy on my stumpy
    Be honest with them though noone likes to be lied to and you want your LBS to be on your side. But I would try to just buy a new triangle, that's just me.
    I never said lie. I'm just saying go into a specialiazed dealer and ask them how much for the stays to fix it. and if they don't ask if you are the original owner, do not voluenteer it . if they ask , then tell them the truth. and also if they do warrenty it , have the shop do the work of putting it back together so they at least make something out of the deal.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a new seatstay from my LBS for around $175. I have my old seatstay laying around if you are interested, it's white with disc tabs. I can take some pics and send them to you if you would like to see them.
    My rides:
    2000 Stumpjumper Pro
    2004 Epic Custom
    2008 Tarmac Expert