mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Epic Brainshock/Fox Shock Problems

Fellow Bikers,

I recently purchased an 05 Epic Comp Disc. After putting over 400 miles on it I feel the rear shock is not working properly. And since I don't know anyone who has an Epic I can't compare the ride to another bike. I lowered the pressure in the fox shock and adjusted the rebound on the Brian but it still feels like a rock. I have lost all confidence in the bike and am thinking of selling it. Has anyone had trouble with the Brianshock or Fox Shock or gotten a bad shock from the factory? I am going to take it back to the shop where I bought it today.
    EpicRider

mtbr member

Follow Recommended Set up

Make sure the air pressure and rebound are those recommended by Specialized for your weight. You can get all that from the Specilaized web site. You should have 10mm of sag.
    Also depends on what you are used to riding. The Epic should feel firm comapared to traditional FS.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Right as EPICYZ says..

you should check the pressure according to Specialized's recommendations. The Epic requires lower pressures than what you would use in other designs. It should be firm until you hit something.

Good luck,
    Cris

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailriderGus
    Fellow Bikers,

I recently purchased an 05 Epic Comp Disc. After putting over 400 miles on it I feel the rear shock is not working properly. And since I don't know anyone who has an Epic I can't compare the ride to another bike. I lowered the pressure in the fox shock and adjusted the rebound on the Brian but it still feels like a rock. I have lost all confidence in the bike and am thinking of selling it. Has anyone had trouble with the Brianshock or Fox Shock or gotten a bad shock from the factory? I am going to take it back to the shop where I bought it today.
    What does "not working properly" mean? Not activating when you hit a huge bump?

Try the o-ring tactic. wrap it around the shaft and see if it moves after going over a bump. Make sure the air pressure is set up properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What I was implying by "not working properly" was that the bike still feels like a hard tail. It doesn't feel like the shock is activating at all. I feel pretty much every bump on the trail. I thought the brain was supposed to lesson the bumps.
    EpicRider

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailriderGus
    What I was implying by "not working properly" was that the bike still feels like a hard tail. It doesn't feel like the shock is activating at all. I feel pretty much every bump on the trail. I thought the brain was supposed to lesson the bumps.
    How much do you weigh, and how much pressure is in the chamber?

Assuming that you set up the shock properly, go to your LBS and have them check it out. If you still don't like how it behaves after it has been repaired, (assuming that there is something wrong with it.) you can always sell it.

Just for your info, Epic is stiffer than those trail bikes like the stumpjumper, so if you rather have the plush stumpjumper, Epic probably is not for you.