mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Epic Brain unmount/mount

Hi,
    i have some questions about the brain shock:

1) What happens when i unscrew the brain from the Rear Fox shock?

2) If I have two identical Epics, one has broken the rear shock, but the brain is OK, the second has only damaged the brain but the shock is OK. Can i swap the brain from the damaged shock to the good one?

3) If i already try to unscrew the brain from the schock, but a little bit of fluid went out (just like 10 drops), so i screwed it back, what does it mean?

4) I weight 115kg, so i pumped the rear shock to 170psi, but still got a sag of 20mm. I pumped it up to 200psi and still got sag of 15mm. Shall i pump it even more?

Thanx.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as you know now... the brain is hydraulic valve..so there is fluid going to it...if you disconnect it will come out.... I am not sure if the system has to be air free (requiring bleeding) but I doubt it....

Sag is normal... you shouldn't need to "overpressurize it", let it sag... the brain will not bob, even at proper sag... the "bob-control" on the epic relies on the brain, not the sir pressure...

The Other Dude
    How do u know the the brain is "bad"? I would send it back to fox.....their prices are reasonable, and you could end up with 2 working brain shocks ! I am not sure about the wait time, i have had 2 experiences with them....one time i got my fork back in a week and a half, the other time it took 4 weeks to get my shock back. It all depends on how busy they are.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

bang
    sounds like you'll have to send one or both shocks to fox. the only user-servicable part is the air sleeve. also, if you have to pump your shocks up that high (which is way too high; 120-125 psi should be good for ~10mm (25%) sag), then there is something wrong with it and it needs to be set to fox for repair.

mtbr member
    From memory - that is Nitrogen pressurized in the Brain... Probably a bad idea to take it apart!!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    sh!t sh!t why the **** had I to mess with it .....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tonys102
    From memory - that is Nitrogen pressurized in the Brain... Probably a bad idea to take it apart!!!!
    Nitrogen is gas i think ...

bang
    yea, it's nitrogen charged. i think the reason why it sags so much despite the high pressure is because of the lost hydraulic fluid (or rather, air where there shouldn't be air). hopefully it's freezing where you live, so the down-time to get it repaired won't be as bad.

mtbr member
    I heard it explodes with the force comparable to Hiroshima, minus the radioactive fallout. I could be wrong. Let me what day your doing it and I'll watch for you on the news. Maybe even TiVo it to show your surviving family members.