mtbr member

Epic brain shock vs Fox RP3

It's been a while since I've owned a bike with a Fox rear shock. In the past 2 years I've owned a Stumpjumper with an AFR shock and now an Epic. After riding a Titus Racer X recently with an RP3 shock, it seems that the AFR shock releases better upon impact than pedaling platform shocks.

In other words the AFR shocks absorb the bumps (mainly felt riding in the saddle) rather than just soften them. I felt that with the RP3 shock I was still getting bucked up a little over, say, a root. With the AFR shock I felt like the bike stayed steady.

I'm curious to know if others have noticed this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my epic AFR is pretty stiff in the rear, perhaps i dont have the sag right it smoothes things out rather than absorbs them compared to the under rated x fusion on my xc, doesnt matter though im having a great time with the epic, light, tough, fast, and comfortable, i couldnt ask for more

mtbr member
    I have an RP3 on my '04 Stumpjumper. when I swapped to this shock I felt like I was getting bucked a bit. The damping dial didn't seem to make enough adjustment to make me happy. Then I lowered my shock pressure and I'm quite happy with it these days. I weigh 190lbs, shock pressure at 185psi, rebound damping set somewhere in the middle.