mtbr member

Epic Brain Service

I know we are supposed to do it every 100 hours but how many of you have actually done that. Mine is due and the race season starts for me in Nor-cal on Jan 20th and I do not have time to get it done. It seem like I put on those hours on alot faster than I thought I would have but it such a fun bike to ride. My bike is a 2013 epic comp carbon that I bought in August of last year. I have about 1200 miles on it now. Can I wait it out another season? Thanks for any replies. Heres a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Brain Service-img_5860%5B1%5D.jpg  

Epic Brain Service-img_5859%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The brain service should take hour(s) and not days/weeks.

My LBS told me that they can order a set of brains from Specialized and then give me a call when the brains arrives at the store. Then they switch out the old brains and sends them back to Specialized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -Andy- View Post
    The brain service should take hour(s) and not days/weeks.

My LBS told me that they can order a set of brains from Specialized and then give me a call when the brains arrives at the store. Then they switch out the old brains and sends them back to Specialized.
    As Andy mentioned, it is an option for the specialized dealers to pre-order a replacement shock and send yours back. I personally prefer to keep my original shock and just have it serviced so that I know the history of the shock. (usually takes 2-3 weeks)

As for your original question... Yes it will likely be ok without service for a while. The brain does not often fail catastrophically, so even if a problem develops it will do so over the course of a couple weeks/months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got my 2010 Epic's Brain serviced for the first time last year after 2.5 years of riding. No issues with it at all.

My LBS said most people get it serviced every 2-3 years.

mtbr member
    My shop recommend doing the air sleeve service which can be done at the shop about every 200miles but said to not bother with the full blown service where its sent off unless I was having problems with it. So far I've been riding mine for 2 years 1700miles+ and haven't had it serviced at all without any problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you don't have the brain serviced often enough, the brain will start being less effective and your suspension will start bobbing more. The shock will still work and the bike will still be ride-able, though. I normally have mine serviced during the winter off-season because I do not want to risk needing the service during the race season. My service has taken 2 weeks, but it can take longer if you have it done during peak riding season.

The 100 hour service seems like a pretty extreme recommendation to me, and I don't know anyone who follows it. It probably assumes hard use in a very dusty or very wet conditions. I avoid riding my Epic in wet conditions (aside from races of course), and we don't have much dust here in Michigan. I had my first service after two seasons of riding with several thousand miles of use, and there were no issues with the brain or excessive wear.

You'll probably be fine waiting, but it would be wise to keep things reasonably clean to reduce contamination of your shock oil.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I had my front a& rear Brain units serviced after 200 hours (2011 SW). They came back in a week and were much much better than when they went away. The tech told me that the rear shock oil was discoloured and therefore dirt had got in (I do a lot of riding in dusty conditions). Overall the bike felt like new again.

Highly recommended.

You need to lock your LBS into a committed timeframe for getting the units back to you though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had mine done a few months ago,took 8 weeks,specialized lost my shock and brain so they send a new one.I sent it in through Mikes bikes.Not Mikes bikes fault,i just did more road biking then lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I assume most people send them to Specialized for service.
    I called Fox and they say they can also service brain units. Anyone has any experience between Specialized vs Fox service and turnaround time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
    I assume most people send them to Specialized for service.
    I called Fox and they say they can also service brain units. Anyone has any experience between Specialized vs Fox service and turnaround time?
    Fox took 3 weeks+ Spesh took 2 weeks + turnaround
    I would buy a spare then you never have to worry about not having your bike...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking