You Call...We Haul

Epic Brain to Float R modification

Has anyone tried to change a brain shock to a straight float R on an Epic? I know this is not what the bike is designed for nor would Specialized approve. Im funny like that. I would like to switch the shock so I could have a fully active suspension for everyday trail riding and keep the brain for racing/fireroads etc. It would seem that damper body and reducer would be interchangable between the brain and the Float R.

Ever Tinkering

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by medflight429
    Has anyone tried to change a brain shock to a straight float R on an Epic? It would seem that damper body and reducer would be interchangable between the brain and the Float R.

Ever Tinkering
    Interchangeable except for the HUGE eyelet to eyelet distance difference between the two shocks you mean right?

April Fools... huh?

We want... a shrubbery!
    I think he's talking about switching the sleeves while using the same "plunger/stanchion thingy" (I'm sorry, I'm late and I can't think of the right word...) that's used on the Epic. I mean, if the Float R has the same length from the eye closest to the axle to the edge of the outer air sleeve, then i think it's completely feasible. But, I've never taken apart one of those bad boys before...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

bang
    i don't think anyone has done this yet, but the merida bikes have a similar shock setup and they use normal shocks, so i'm sure it could be done. however, for the dual-purpose you are looking for the best bet would be to use the new brain-fade shocks. as i understand, you can adjust the firmness of the lockout, i.e. have it set so it feels more like propedal for trail riding and more like the normal lockout for racing.