• Epic Expert Carbon

5 17.86%
  • Epic S-Works - Frame and Fork

15 53.57%

Thread: Epic Battle

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Epic Battle

Back ground. I have a 2011 Epic Comp Aluminum (Size M) with roval carbon sl wheels. Owned since new. The bike weights in at 27 lbs.

I am attempting to decide what to do next.

1. Keep current bike and switch out components and get down to 26 lbs, maybe.

2. Upgrade to 2013 Epic Carbon. Price - 4400. Keep my wheels and resell 2011 as a full bike. Maybe see 25 lbs.

3. Upgrade to 2013 Epic Expert. Price - 6000. Keep my wheels and resell 2011 as a full bike. Maybe see 24 lbs.

4. Upgrade to s-works frame and fork. Price - 5000. Move over components from 2011 bike (not that high end). Maybe see 25lbs. Always wanted the s-works epic. I like the all flat black. Upgrade components as money permits. Sell 2011 frame and fork only.

Thoughts and ideas.

Thank you.
    Last edited by uzj100; 02-13-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
    '11 - Epic Comp 29er - Size M
    Weight - 26 lbs 14 ozs
    Mods - Trail SLs, XT Cassette, ESI Foam Grips, Candy 1, EC90

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ht

I say keep your current epic and buy a Stumpjumper Carbon Comp HT. This gives you a bike to ride shop (crucial with an epic), as well as the ability to switch wheels between the bikes. Keep one set of wheels set up with heavy durable tires for trail rides and training and another with light tires for racing. Then just put the race wheels on whatever bike you want to race. You can get a 2012 closeout HT for 2000ish. Since you already have light wheels you have another 1000 to spend on a lighter parts. With some upgrades (cassette ,post, stem, bars, pedals, foam grips,) you could have a 21 lb hardtail and your current bike.
    Last edited by Pedalfaraway; 02-13-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Grammer
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great idea however I need to stick with one bike.
    Weight - 26 lbs 14 ozs

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Personally, I would just keep what you got and purchase another epic in a couple of years. There not much difference between your 2011 Epic and the current model. I would wait till the next major frame re-design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you can only have 1 bike and you are counting on that bike to race I would aviod epics completly. They are great bikes when they are working but have always been high maintance rigs. Get something with a standard size Fox rear shock. most shops can work on those in house, and getting replacements/rebuilds are much easier.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am sticking with the epic platform. Just want carbon and lighter. If it was your money and these were the 4 choices, how would you proceed? I do like the response of wait until the new redesign.
    Weight - 26 lbs 14 ozs

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Get the S Works, you will love it, treasure it and enjoy it all the more. Great frame and great fork. Epics are now super reliable and have been for the past two years. None of mine since the 2011 26er, my 2012 29er and current 2013 29er, all S Works have missed a beat, shock or fork. The problems of the past are just that, in the past. 100% stick with the Epic, it's what you want and is a great trail bike as well as race bike in 29er form. I also have the HT version but the Epic is the best all rounder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I second waiting on new frame design,should be out next year.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uzj100 View Post
    I am sticking with the epic platform. Just want carbon and lighter. If it was your money and these were the 4 choices, how would you proceed? I do like the response of wait until the new redesign.

Dude, for 5k you can easily pick up a 2012 s-works epic with full XX. Just be patient and watch ebay/ cragislist search engines. They're out there.

mtbr member
    Epic Expert Carbon,no brainer. Take the Roval Carbon wheels along and you've got yourself one heck of a bike,trust me on this one,I've had exactly that combination last year and missing that bike a lot. Here is a pic of her the very last day before I've sold it This was THE bike to me,no need to hurry for other parts. Can't wait to buy it back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Battle-foto.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Epic Battle

What about the expert carbon evo r?

Its the marathon frame and carbon bars for only $200 more than the expert.

If you want more than 1x10 I'd go either expert or s-works frame and forks.

The comp you'll want to upgrade the forks for a start anyway.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

The Hutch
    I'd try to find a 2012 new or used carbon Epic either Comp or expert, that way you get the lightness and stiffness of carbon, and you may be able to sell your current bike and come close to breaking even
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    I had a 2011 Epic Comp and sold it to purchase a 2013 Epic Carbon Comp. I believe the carbon frame is a pound lighter than the alloy frame and the auto sag is a nice feature, but both bikes ride about the same. Lightweight wheels/tires make a bigger difference than a lightweight frame and you have that covered. Therefore, I would upgrade your current bike (X9-X0) and wait for the new model in a year or so. IMHO

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have you thought about upgrading to XX1? I know the cassette is pretty expensive at $400, but the complete drivetrain is around $1250.

I voted for the Sworks. You already have THE wheels and if you had THE frame as well then you would only need to upgrade cockpit and drivetrain over time to have THE bike.

I doubt that you would sell your 2011 frame for less than $1k if it's in good shape, and you shouldn't have to pay full msrp for the Sworks frame. So it would be less than $4k to switch. The Sworks matte black sure is purdy.