Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Epic 29er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have made my own Epic 29er and I love it rides like a dream. I have a Panaracer Fire Cross 29x1.9 tire on the front and a Maxiss Worm on the rear. I also have some pics of a Bontager 29x1.8 on the front also. I have also been blessed with some rotor cranks and a gravity dropper seatpost. Its smooth as butta up and down singletrack and it just eats bumps up. I got my Brain in the Front Fork FX100 Terralogical and Brain in the rear, no bob at all 29er epic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by B-RAY; 01-21-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: forgot pic
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

bang
    i dunno about that; clearance has got to be tight! also, have you depressurized and fully compressed the fork to make sure the front tire can't contact the bottom of the crown?

anyhow, go bug specialized and tell them to make one for real!

I like Chips

Very nice

Any chance of getting some pics of the clearance under the fork crown and seat stays??? Have you had many issues w/ mud/rocks etc getting jammed between the wheels and the bike?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looks cool.. your pics remind me of my old Epic (same year and color).. oh memories...

I am interested on the clearance too

mtbr member
    Where do you get Epic 29'er from?
    700 millimeters = 27.5590551 in

joe dirt
    Fork, a mud shredder?

You are crazy! but I'll give you two thumbs up for being brave enough to be the first guinea pig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It is one for real dont hate on it. The clearance is more than fine, but thanks for lookin out for me though. I have ridden the bike like this for 7 months and love the heck out of this thing the front is 29x1.9 and the rear is a 29x1.7 its just plain fast.
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Clearance of the tire!!!!!

Np here u go. I need to take pics of the rear and i will post later but here is the front now.
    If you look how the fox fork crown goes up in the middle you can see there is no way for the fork to have contact with the tire, LBS already tested out.

here is the Bontagers clearance and the Panaracer Fire Cross:
    Last edited by B-RAY; 01-22-2007 at 08:19 AM.
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Uh Hmm look at the tires Iam using there 29er tires. I wonder if that means anything to u even if it doesnt u can have ur own opinion its all good. My bike rides like butta baby u have to have haters in order to excel to greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Guinea pig not a chance at all, but innovator yes. I live and ride in Scal Big Bear and ride Super-D type terrain all the time with this setup and rip it up as well. Just because u can't imagine something not working for you doesnt mean it doesn't work for the person using it.

P.S. I have ridden in the mud and snow and it just shines no clearances problems or any problems at all the I can recall of. I just love Haters when they whine!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahah
    B-Ray Da Beast

...idios...
    Do you anticipate any problems from uplift? I have visions of stones being thrown into your frame and fork crown, some may even be too big to squeeze through and end up scoring the frame or crown. I've experienced this on my Enduro if I use anything bigger than a 2.2 on the rear. The potential for damage is real.
    Peace,
    Steve

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    B-RAY, I applaud your work but 700x45C is not 29". BTW, what are the most notable ride changes between the wheels? What air pressure are you running?

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    Guinea pig not a chance at all, but innovator yes.
    you're not the first to put 29" wheels on a 26" bike first epic i've seen though.

I just love Haters when they whine!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahah
    i don't see anybody "hating" or whining...just valid questions.

mtbr member
    that thing looks great... except for the gravity dropper :P

really though, it looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Bontager 29x1.8

Ok here is a pic of the Bontager 29x1.8 thats what it says on the tire so is that a 29er tire?
    B-Ray Da Beast

The Other Dude
    is the same bike as the some posted earlier calling it "beast" or something?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes it is the same bike just put on a more aggrissive tire on the front.
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    The rims are not the issue... 700c is the same size rims as the ones marketed as 29er rims... basically road rim wheel diameter.... B-ray claims it is a 29er, which "by the book" it is... but of course you have to use small tires and deal with smaller clearance, when compared to a "real" 29er

EDIT: one more thing the 29" claim includes the tire in the measurement, so I'm not sure if the tires B-ray has "fulfill the requirement", but this is just irrelevant, since most tires are not the claimed size anyway...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... 29er tire sizes!!!!!!

So ur saying that a Bontager 29x1.8 and a WTB Muntano Raptor 29x1.85 aren't real 29er tires. I do rember Shiggy the tire Guru saying that he would use the Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c which on Shiggy's Site has the Panaracer measurements as 1.94 width, over the WTB Nano 29x2.3. Are u saying that Shiggy's wrong then? I love haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter if I am using skinner 29er tires or not they are 29er tires even if u dont agree. Iam trying to understand ur logic here 29er guys ride full ridges with higher vilume tires to take off the edge. I use skinner 29er tires and let my suspension take the edge off hmm makes sense to me. Tires and there sizes are purley the riders own perference some like skinny tires, while some like fat ones.

P.S. I have to use skinner tires so i can keep the brain in the back and the brain in the front all that have ridden a Epic and loved it know how hard it would be to go to another bike. I keep the fox interia front fork bob free bomb proof on desents and animal climbing alog with brain in the rear bomb proof as well. The trade off is well worth it for me.
    Last edited by B-RAY; 01-23-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    B-Ray Da Beast

I am not a hater.. I was trying to explain to Lumbee that 700C and 29er are the same.... you do have to accept that you can't run a Rampage for example on the Epic...

I agree..tire choice is rider's choice

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! My Bad!!!!!

My bad I read wrong, I am sorry for the hater comment. I will not ever be able to use a rampage I have accepted that and have made the Panaracer Fire Cross my Front tire of choice i have used it in all kinds of conditions and has shined just as Shiggy said it does.
    B-Ray Da Beast

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    wow thats close....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah it loooks tighter than it really is riding it never have any problems at all with the tire rubbing. I just put on a Muntano raptor 1.85 modified on the rear with the Panaracer Fire 1.95 on front. Can u say Beast Baby the thing just rips the trails up.
    B-Ray Da Beast

more beers, lees gears.
    i guess my biggest concern would be the geometry. 29ers are made with the right angles for the bigger wheels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast