Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epic 2011 Brain mecanically impact

770 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  henning80 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a Spezialized Epic 2011 Brain Suspension.

If the rear suspension is working there is always like a mecanically block or impact in the end. Althoug the suspension works fine. I checked the air yesterday - I thought it would be because of missing air. The pressure was 7 bar, I raised it to 13 bar like given in the manual (around 82kg weight).
I already checked the given turns for the "Rebound" and "Brain" valves.

But this mecanically "clack" in the end stays. There is no "clack" you can hear, but you feel it if you are sitting on the bike. I hope you can understand my description.

Is this normal for this kind of suspension? Or is it time for a change of the oil or something?

Thanks for your help and/or opinions.

Best regards, Henning.

#2 ·
A bit hard to understand but it sounds like the brain operating, when the inertia valve closes.

Having said that, with a 2 year old unit, it should be serviced, oil replaced, and re-gassed with new seals. The manual says every 100 hours for the full service. Mine was operating well, and I had twice done an air sleeve service on it, but the suspension tech still reported discoloured oil in the unit.

#3 ·
As far as I've been told, it is normal. Last week I let local Specialized shop bike mechanics check both front and rear brain suspensions on my 2013 Epic - they confirmed they worked just fine.
That "clack" has indeed uneasy feeling, as if you're hitting roots or rocks with rim or something.

#4 ·
Hi,
thanks for your answers.
I bought this bike second hand, so I am not sure when was the last time the unit has been serviced. But I could check this.
A friend of mine has the same bike, a newer one, less than 100 hours service time, there is this "clack" as well.
So maybe this feeling is normal with this kind of suspension, although it's quite strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.