mtbr member
    Jan 2007

EPIC 2003 - chain scratched chainstay

Hi,

sometimes the chain get stuck between the Chainstay and the Front Cog, and there is now, i would say, 1mm deep, 2cm long scrape or scratch damage on the chainstay from the chain.

Is this a big structural damage to the frame? I think it is not possible to repair it, but is there a way to take care for the aluminum frame? Maybe some special oil or WD40 or whatever, which i would spray to 'lubricate' the 'weak' spot where the scratch is, so that it would be maybe little less prone to breaking?

Thanx

The Other Dude
    I usually put a really thick decal there to protect the chainstay from any suck or slap. They make clear ones and colored ones. Specialized also makes a soft guard you can put around that part of your frame to protect it. I have a few of them on my epic where normal cable rub would occur also.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That is not unusual with epics. they changed the frame design on the 06 epic to try to prevent chain suck which was a great help! I would clean the area very good & fill deep scrape with Auto touch up paint. Then protect with chainstay protector. Look on Spec site or Lizard skins site. Or if you want to get a DIY kit look up Bonk. Its a clear protection film for any area of your Bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why auto touch up paint? Because it looks better? Or because of corrosion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I also forgot to mention you can get it from Spec thru their web site. You could go to a bike shop & they could fill in with the exact paint match. When i looked for touch up paint they had to order & would cost double then auto touch up paint. You can almost find it anywhere & its cheaper & does the same thing.
    The paint will fill the deep scrape, looks great & will protect the frame. If you want to sell later on the bike will look very well maintained to the purchaser.

bang
    actually, they tweaked the chainstay the very next year ('04). they made a little dimple there to give more clearance in that area.

a typical chainstay protector won't help at all as the area is further up on the chainstay (maybe the specialized, but the lizardskins is too short). i wouldn't worry about it; the material there is very thick. your best defense is to not have chainsuck at all. keep your drivetrain clean and lubed, and do not shift your front derailer under load as this will cause chainsuck every time.