Thread: Epic

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Epic

I am looking to get a new bike for racing and it keeps coming back that the epic is a good bike. The other bike that I am considering is a Blur XC. I currently have a 2003 Swork Epic.

Then when I think about getting a new epic, I think what is the point of spending the money on a bike that is the same as the current bike. So I am looking for the differences in the frame and shock to try to justify the purchase.

I see that the new epic has the Brain Fade and 1cm more travel. To compensate for this difference, could I not just buy a new shock?

Are there any other major benefits in changing from a 2003 Swork Epic to a 2006 M5 Epic?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are your reasons for getting a new bike? Is the 03 Epic the correct size, are parts wore out, is there something you dislike about the way it handles? Decide why you want a new bike and that should help. There is nothing wrong with buying a new bike just because you want to and can afford it, I've done this myself. If that is the case maybe you would like to try something different like a single speed or an all mountain bike and keep the Epic for racing.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by novian
    I am looking to get a new bike for racing and it keeps coming back that the epic is a good bike. The other bike that I am considering is a Blur XC. I currently have a 2003 Swork Epic.

Then when I think about getting a new epic, I think what is the point of spending the money on a bike that is the same as the current bike. So I am looking for the differences in the frame and shock to try to justify the purchase.

I see that the new epic has the Brain Fade and 1cm more travel. To compensate for this difference, could I not just buy a new shock?

Are there any other major benefits in changing from a 2003 Swork Epic to a 2006 M5 Epic?

Thanks
    First of all, there is NO S-WORKS M5 Epic for 2006. The S-Works Epic is now Carbon Only. The Frame alone cost $3800, the disc version costs $7100. Kinda skeptical about the carbon Epic......

If you have an 03 with an 03 brain, just ask for a replacement. Most likely they'll hook you up (or sell you) an 05. (or 06, not sure) Maybe you could ask for the 06 brain shock. I have heard that they are compatible with the older epics. (Don't know about 03)

However, I have also heard that Specialized won't sell you the shocks separately. (Maybe because they want people to buy the new bike if they want the newer shock?) Disguisting marketing tactic if you ask me. Sure it is an awesome marketing strategy for the company, but not for the consumers.

Maybe if you are a gram counter, upgrading to an 06 may be worth it. If you must have the S-WORKS printed on your bike, then you gotta shell out the cash for Carbon. All 06 Epics are now M5, but the difference is pretty much insignificant from the M4. (~150 grams at most) You can save this much weight by the components you choose.