mtbr member

Entry Level Bike - Hardrock Sport??

One of my LBS has a couple of 2007 Hardrock Sports left, for $325.00. Would this be a good entry level bike - trail riding, single tracks, nothing aggressive(yet)?

mtbr member
    Yep, it's a great entry-level bike. I had the '07 Hardrock Sport and rode it for a year. As long as you don't try any jumps or drops it'll be fine. If you do start doing that you'll end up with a broken fork. Get the disc version if it's available rather than upgrading to discs later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a comp and think its a nice bike to start out with.

dweeby
    I had the Hardrock pro and rode it for a year, great tough and stabble bike & very good value for money. As said allready it's quite expensive upgradeing to disc brakes, so try and get disc version if you can as this bike really deserves them as it can move a quite a speed down hill.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    its a great bike to start out with and get into the sport, but you will probably learn to hate it if/when you decide to go whole on into mountain biking. On the positive side, the bike is practically indestructible, and the only thing i broke on it in a year of hard use was a derailleur hanger. the bad: its a pig. you really notice how much it sucks to lug a 35lb bike up hills, especially if you're going to be doing any racing (i made that mistake )

also, the fork leaves something to be desired. for me, mine was way over sprung and i couldn't get more than a half inch of travel out of it. i did switch to a modified marz MZ comp i got for free that has done well by me.

as was mentioned, swing for the disk brake model if you can afford it, especially if you live in a hilly and/or especially loose area. the difference will make itself apparent once you start really getting into riding.

overall, i say go for it. the bike has served me well for a year with minimal problems. i rode a good 2000 miles on it and its held up. good luck, and welcome to a great sport

mtbr member
    Hello all, new to the forum. Not to threadjack or anything, which I do realize I am doing. I just got my first Mountain bike, a 2005 Rockhopper Pro Disc. It feels great, like the fact of having disc brakes. I plan on doing a lot of urban and XC riding with it. Was this a good choice?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    rockhoppers are great bikes for beginners, they're light, decently equipped, and should last you a good bit of time.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 07 Hard Rock Sport as my second bike and am happy with it so far. The geometry of the frame is nice and it's a very versatile bike all up. The components are cheap of course, but work well as long as your LBS has done its job. They will wear out pretty quickly if you ride a lot, so you'll need to be prepared to replace.
    Great entry level MTB!
    My ride Kona Kikapu 2006 (Gold) - Fox RP3 - Reba Race - Race Face - FSA Carbon- Fire XCPros.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    best entry level bike for the $ imho. Bought one in 99 and it was a trooper than and it still is now hahah. Of course since then i've up'ed to riding a 06 stumpy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a 08 Comp disk ! seems like a great bike but like posted above if u start jumping or doing even mild drops or anything agressive u will break stuff.... in 2 months of owning mine i broke the fork/pedals/ & my spokes kept coming loose... But dont look down on the bike just because ive posted this lol im very hard on bikes & this just wasnt enough bike for me...