mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Enduros don't like coil shocks!

I've seen a lot of discussion about what is the best shock for the Enduro: coil or air. Coil IS NOT the right choice!

The Enduro rear suspension functions at a LINEAR rate, which means that it NEEDS a shock that functions at a PROGRESSIVE rate to keep it from bottoming when it is set at the proper sag. If you use a coil shock, which is more linear than an air shock, you will have to set a lot of preload to keep it from bottoming, which will result in VERY POOR small bump performance. If you don't believe me, call the guys at Push Industries and ask them.

The progressive nature of an air shock is not necessarily a bad thing, just a bad thing in the wrong application. Specialized does a lot of R&D and specified the FOX float for good reason. It is a HUGE mistake to outfit this excellent design with a coil shock.

Jim

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by jchussey
    I've seen a lot of discussion about what is the best shock for the Enduro: coil or air. Coil IS NOT the right choice!

The Enduro rear suspension functions at a LINEAR rate, which means that it NEEDS a shock that functions at a PROGRESSIVE rate to keep it from bottoming when it is set at the proper sag. If you use a coil shock, which is more linear than an air shock, you will have to set a lot of preload to keep it from bottoming, which will result in VERY POOR small bump performance. If you don't believe me, call the guys at Push Industries and ask them.

The progressive nature of an air shock is not necessarily a bad thing, just a bad thing in the wrong application. Specialized does a lot of R&D and specified the FOX float for good reason. It is a HUGE mistake to outfit this excellent design with a coil shock.

Jim

is that for the enduro 130 or the 150?
    150s come with a coil as option. ie SX trail.

I was under the impression that a newer shock like the swinger 4 way could mimic the nonlinear behavior of an air shock by decreasing the SPV air volume.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Jim
    Or you could get a Stratos that has an air back up, which does a great job of preventing bottoming. Other coil shocks have similar functions and may work as well. But you have a point.

mtbr member
    My guess is that if you're considering a coil shock, small bump performance is not high on your priority list.

Lou.

Owner of an 02 Enduro with a PUSHed Float.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say its "better" or "worse." Progressive and linear springs bring two entirely different sets of characteristics to the table that suit different scenarios. For instance, in sport motorcycles, progressive springs are better on the road since you have small bump compliance but still have some stiffness at the top for cornering and braking. But on the track where you don't care about small bump compliance, you want really stiff linear rate springs, particularly since they're easier to tune for system response. Then off road, you want really slack linear springs for big bump compliance.

Look at which Enduros come with air springs and which come with coil springs ('05 and later).

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9687

What's the difference in application? It has less to do with the linkage and more for the desired characteristics of the whole system response to different inputs...

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    I've been running my -03 S-Works Enduro (I assume it's pre -05 130mm enduros you're talking about. In -05 the enduro frame comes with a coil shock under the SX Trail name) with a Manitou Swinger Coil shock for over a year now and can't say that has been a huge mistake.
    On the contrary, it has been lovely, buttery smooth and with a bottomless feel. The SPV feature on many (most) current coil shocks creates a slightly progressive compression damping (hence the bottomless feel) that seems well suited to the enduro 130 chassis. Small bump compliance is way better than with the stock Fox Float, coil shocks are miles ahead of any air shock I've ridden in that department.
    Only downside would be that the steel spring adds one more pound to lug upp the hills as opposed to air that weighs "nothing"...
    Yeah baby!

Boomslang

Explanation

Jake Wake here,

The Enduro 130 and 150 both have a slightly progressive leverage rate. Whatever shock we sell them with has been optimized for best performance.

SXT bikes with coil spring have an adjustable air resi which gives it a progressive feel.

Enduros with air shocks have big air volume which gives them a more linear feel.

Bottom line, the shocks we spec probably work better than any thing aftermarket.

JW

Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My '03 Enduro rides way better with the Romic than it did with the Float. I'm 180lbs without gear, and I run a 600lb spring. Small bump compliance is much better than the Float, and I don't think I've ever bottomed the shock. I did bottom the 500lb spring though. The rear end sticks great both climbing and downhill. I run a Z1 on the front and it's a great ride.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Hey Jake,

Given the number of problems with the Progressive shock on the 05 Enduro bikes, is there any possibility of the consumer purchasing an upgrade to the DHX Air?

I've had a number of problems with the 36 on mine (it's been in to Fox twice for a malfunctioning TALAS system) and now my shock blew this weekend. I still have less than 10 rides on the bike and I've spent more time waiting for parts to come back than I have actually riding the bike.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Hey Jake,

Given the number of problems with the Progressive shock on the 05 Enduro bikes, is there any possibility of the consumer purchasing an upgrade to the DHX Air?

I've had a number of problems with the 36 on mine (it's been in to Fox twice for a malfunctioning TALAS system) and now my shock blew this weekend. I still have less than 10 rides on the bike and I've spent more time waiting for parts to come back than I have actually riding the bike.

Fox sells DHX Air shocks after-market directly for the Enduro.

We can only replace or rebuild your Progressive shock.

JW

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Coil Shock on Enduro

I tried a Romic shock on my 2004 Enduro and found that although it swallowed the bumps with ease, it robbed the frame of much of it's agility and "chuckability". I've since swapped back to the Fox Float and haven't regretted it for a minute and I prefer the lower frame weight and better feedback at the expense of the drop swallowing ability (the area of the UK where I live is notoriously flat anyway).

That said, I've got friends who've fitted Romic shocks to their (non-propedal) 2002/3 Enduros and swear by them. One of them had paired his Romic with a Manitou Sherman up front, taking advantage of the similar damping properties for a balanced ride.