mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Enduro'fied Stumpjumper FSR 29? Anyone try a 150mm Pike?

Anyone tried slapping a 150mm Pike onto a Stumpjumper FSR 29?

I'm thinking about trying the solo air 150 Pike on my 2011 SJ FSR. Yes, I know it voids the warranty (150mm > 130mm x 110%). But I would end up with an "Enduro-lite", which is about what I need for my riding.

From a functional perspective, the new 150mm Pike has a reasonable A2C, reasonable weight, and a whole lot of performance. I'd get a marginally wider wheel base, a head angle that is ~0.5 degree slacker, a slightly higher BB, and 20mm of comfy travel. Those don't sound like deal breakers for going up hill. They sound like a lot of fun going downhill.

I did notice that later SJ FSR 29er EVO models have a difference rocker link than their non-EVO brethren. So, perhaps this isn't ideal. So I'm curious if anyone else has been thinking really hard about trying the Pike 150 on a recent model SJ FSR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new 150mm Pike is sooooo good! Just came from a Fox 36 Float and this fork is in another league. Check the a2c of your fork versus the Pike, perhaps it's within 10%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i have a 2012 SJ FSR 29 Evo. It currently has a TALAS 34 on it, but have been eyeballing a pike for an upgrade.
    I now can't decide between 150mm and 140mm travel. would love to hear some other's experiences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    id go with the 150mm dual air pike. then you can ride around most of the time in the lower 130mm setting and boot it up to the 150mm when tackling technical downhills. Problem solved!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    not trying to derail the thread, but i wouldn't expect a dual travel fork to be as nice as the solo version. I'm basing that off my current TALAS characteristics, so i'm hoping to hear from others that have committed to the longer travel and went with the solo air.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am running a 150mm pike dual position air on a 2014 stumpy fsr evo 29er and loving it. Super playful. Very happy with the fork so far. The only thing I had an issue with is the rockshox recommended pressures seem to be quite high. I've ended up running my air pressure quite about lower than the guide lines printed on the fork leg. Basically just played around until I hit 30% sag. My previous bike had a solo air revelation on it. The dual position pike rides pretty high up in its travel, still gets full range through its travel, and the increase in stiffness due to the larger stanchions is incredible. The fox talas has a reputation for having a poor ride compared with their float forks. I wouldn't say that is the case here though I haven't ridden the pike solo air and am comparing the dual position to a revelation solo air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am very interested in puting a Pike Dual 150 on my 2012 S-works Stumpy.

I have a Fox 130 RLC (OEM) on it, the published Axle to crown for the 2013 version is 531mm. I think that mine measures 545ish. I am potentially measuring longer because I am measuring on an angle, vs parrallel to the steerertube.

The Pike 150 has a published Axle to crown of 561 (or 531 when in the lower setting).

So the published Fox 32, 130mm Axle to crown is the same as the published Pike 150mm in the reduced travel setting (although I technically lose 10 mm of travel when I run the Pike short).

The Fox 32 is available in two offsets, is it fair to assume that the 130mm (RLC FIT QR15) would have the 46mm offset? Or will it have the same offset as the F34s (I think they are 51ish)

Am I looking at all this correctly?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Looks like you can adjust the travel on the solo air pike w/ a shaft change. Parts are ~$40. Takes a lot of the risk out if you don't like the taller geometry. See page 12.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Nevermind. Reviewing the parts diagram, this does not appear to change A2C as I originally assumed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    After some more measuring, i found that the travel reduction spacer is no longer in my Fox Fork, so I am running a 150mm travel fork, that should have increased the A2C by 20 mm. Bike handles perfect. Adding the Pike should do the same thing, only less noodley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a SJFSR29r Expert and want to replace the fox noodle it came with up front. I would love to get the DPA Pike in black, but need it in a 130mm as I like the geometry as is. I have been thinking of just getting the black 140mm SA and changing the air shaft to 130mm, that is super easy.

Has anyone however stuck a DPA air spring in a SA crown assembly. I see there are two different CSU's, one for DPA and one for SA. Is there actually a difference?

And can you then attach the 160mm DPA air shaft of the 26"(to lower the travel to 130mm) on the 29r. You can surely do it with the solo air.

Any light shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck in Switzerland where thinking outside the box is difficult.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im interested in a PIKE for my stumpy fsr comp 26er. I currently have the 140mm fox fork, and I am looking to keep the same geometry. So if I get a pike, how does the dual air postion work if I want to reduce travel down to 140? Im a little confused how that works since the manual off of srams website isnt very clear. Do I just turn the nob, similar to the fox talas, or put one of those tokens in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Solo air comes with tokens and it is used to change the air volume in the air chamber and adjust your spring rate. To adjust the travel on the SA you need to change out the air shaft(check the manual for part numbers). To get you 140mm of travel you would need to do that on the 26". Cost is about $40 for the part + labour.

The Dual position Air works like the TALAS. To get it it to 140mm at long travel I am not sure what to do and I am still awaiting answers. If you are ok you could take the 150mm, move the switch and it becomes a 120mm. Then you are working on either side of your 140mm. As soon as I have answers on changing the travel on the DPA(or have taken the plunge and done it myself), I will post something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great thanks let us know what you find out. I sweeped the internets and havent found a straight answer. From what I understand the revelation also has dual air and is adjustable in 10mm increments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That is true, but the Pike is a different beast. If you are content with 140mm travel without travel adjust, just go for the 150mm SA and stick the new Air shaft in there. I might do the same with mine. Buy the 140mm and stick the 130mm air shaft in there. If I struggle doing the long climbs I might buy the DPA and try to make it work. That is if you can stick the DPA in the SA CSU. I see that they sell the CSU as either a SA or DPA. Not sure if there is a difference though. IF you go on the RS website they now have a service manual as well as a spare parts list for the Pike. Quite helpful if you are slightly technically minded.