mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. Enduro vs Sl question

Im trying to decide whether to get an sl or an enduro. So to all you enduro or enduro sl owners, what was the main selling point for you?

p.s if you have an enduro sl frame you would like to sell, contact me

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    What kind of riding do you favor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2007/08 SX Trail is pretty much the same bike as the 06 Enduro.

It depends what type of riding you do.
    If it's more XC/AM then go for the SL, FR/DH then go for the SX Trail/Enduro

Now with More Wood
    For me, I needed one bike (and ONLY one) to cover a lot of different riding - anything from commuting to work to what I call "light DH/FR". So the SL was the most obvious compromise for me. As time has gone by, my riding has gotten more aggressive, so I've ended up changing out a few parts to make sure the bike was still up for it (rims, rear hub, tires, bashguard/chainguide....). I've probably added a good 4 pounds over stock weight, but the bike still rolls fairly nicely and pedals real well. At this point the bike can take a fair bit of abuse, although it remains a different animal to the SX Trail. The main differentiator (apart from the burliness) will be the riding position and geometry - the SXT being slightly slacker and shorter in the cockpit, making for a more FR-oriented bike (in return for becoming slightly less efficient on climbs/xc-type trails). The SXT will be easier to get airborne on (the front comes up much quicker), and will be more stable at higher speeds (although the SL is remarkably stable and super stiff in the front when railing turns etc). As e-bo-b said - what kind of riding do you favor?

Here's a short video clip I put together of me riding my SL - just to show that it is indeed up for a bit of fun. If you are going to go after Bearclaw-style jumps and drops, defintely aim for the SXT - otherwise the SL should be plenty bike, if you do want something a little easier to pedal as well. Video link:

http://www.icemandrums.com/Enduro_SL_Freeride_short.wmv

Good luck with your choice - either way you'll have a great bike.

wretch
    I've ridden both, I own an '06 Pro (not SL). I think it's burlier and stronger than the SL. I think it's got a better build, and I'm not a fan of Specialized suspension (and all of the attributed problems, despite being taken care of promptly)

SL for lighter AM riding.

Non SL for more agressive AM that borders perhaps a little closer to FR. I use my Pro on pretty much everything, albeit the occasional rental at a resort. I shuttle her, I jump her, I pedal her. . . and I've built her pretty strong and heavy (never weighed though) with a shorter stronger Gravity stem, seat, Diabolous DH Cranks and BB as well as an e13DRS. Big 2.5 Kenda Nevegals. . . My only complaints, and its nothing at all is that it's all air. As a bigger rider 6'3" 225 geared I get a much better feel and performance from coils. So in a perfect world I'd go for a DHX coil. I would like to trade for a VAN but they don't have the TALAS feature which comes in huge. I can climb almost anything when I crank the propedal up and drop down to 4" mode.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i do mostly xc and all mountain and very little dh/fr. I need the bike to do a little bit of everything from fast singletrack to 5 foot drops. thanks for the input

wretch
    5' drops . . . not sounding to XC. . .

You also have the option of perhaps building up a Pitch. Could be a good middle ground.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thats why im not looking for an xc bike, i need a bike that can do everything.

mtbr member
    I just picked up an SL Expert. It is a great bike and does everything well so far. Coming from an Intense Uzzi with 8 inches of coil spung travel and 42 lbs the Enduro is obviously much lighter and easier to pedal up.

What I had to get used to is that with the Uzzi I could just plow through anything and everything I wanted to and had no worries. It was nice until I had to pedal up hill and I wanted to shoot myself in the head for thinking this was a good idea.

So now on to the SL.....this bike pedals up like a champ in and out of the saddle better than I could dream of. Decending is a little different however, this bike tends to float over the bumpy stuff rather than plowing thru it. It has great high speed stability and is able to take the bumps well. I have rolled off some 2-3 footers fast and slow with no concern at all. What I had to change about my riding style is the carelessness of having a freeride bike that is built like a tank and now a lighter bike that is just as fast for my style of riding AM / light freeride and being able to ride with a more "flowy" attitude of riding with the terrian.

A good bike in my mind not to mention the burliness feel of having a nice stiff dual crown front end that does not weigh a ton.

Good luck,

Justin
    Go ahead you go first, damn why do I always have to go first?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks for the input guys, i think im leaning tward the sl at this point

mtbr member
    You will find few people who have ridden both enough to give a unbiased opinion.
    Those that own the SL will rave about it and those with a Enduro will be biased as well.
    I own a Enduro Pro and think that the SL is a step back. But I am as biased as anyone else.
    I have never ridden a SL but like the components on the Enduro better.
    I agree basically with what Truckee said...the Enduro is more burly, heavy and stable in the gnar and taking 5 ft drops(something you mentioned) but gives up a few pounds to the SL on the climbs. I am also not a fan of proprietary shocks and think the Fox Talas 36 is a bomb proof fork. I realize that Specialized will replace the innards of their 150 fork but what a hassle.
    If you are a strong rider, I would say get the Enduro. I got mine on closeout and you probably could get a much better deal on an Enduro compared to the newer SL.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpunk7
    You will find few people who have ridden both enough to give a unbiased opinion.
    I've had an '04, an '06, and now the SL.

The '06 was heavier for sure, and looked like a sturdier frame, although the SL feels just as sturdy to me if not sturdier because of the stiffness of the E150 over the single crown.

Climbing though is a whole 'nuther story. The SL's geometry is just plain DIALED, and the AFR's platform feels way more efficient than the DHX 5.0 ever did. I loved both bikes, but the SL is certainly a more refined machine.

As far as components spec, who cares? I look at components, aside from the frame and suspension, as essentially "consumable" and to be swapped out as either wear or mood deems necessary. Since the OP is asking for a bike or a frame, obviously he's not afraid of swapping parts.

The great thing about the SL (up until 2009) is that the Comp comes with the same suspension as the Sworks (I know, the Sworks has a couple titanium parts). Plus, the warranty is 5 years and transferrable!!

Translation: rip with impunity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I sit in the midst of this conundrum at the moment with and 06 enduro expert and an 08 enduro sl expert. One will be sold in about two weeks.

I have three rides on the SL and am impressed by that fact that turning the dials on the shocks, fore and aft, actually does something. My 06 has the incremental clicking travel adjustment on the talas, which is otherwise an awesome fork. Being able to go from min to max travel with one flick is damn cool. Same with the over the top firm to soft adjustment on the rear shock on the sl. Real usable. Stiffens the rear end much more than propedal or pressure ever did on the dhx air.

Due to the weight of the sl I find it "jumpier" in bumpy terrain. The 06 plows both down and up. The sl requires more attention but when it is given it seems to do both very well.

I've only ridden a bit of technical downhill on the sl so far and its working out pretty well. The fork is set on max extension and compression to soft and it feels good. Despite a hairy crash due to a slippery angled root crossing the trail it felt fine.

For the time being my mind is not made up which is better. I am all for the weight loss the sl offers but love the stability the 06 enduro has. I'm thinking that riding the sl more will help me learn how to "use" it just as well.

Then again - as some have said: two different types of bikes here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I spent Friday afternoon lapping the local DH course. While I notice that the 06 is more "plush" the SL feels damn stable and I'm not sure I'm loosing any speed. My feeling for the bike improved alot over several laps - in the end I was no longer concerned about the differences between these two bikes. I was just having a damn good time.

I think the suspension is breaking in a bit as it feels better and better..