Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    103

    Enduro SX Trail II

    What do you guys think about this bike? I want to get it for my wife.

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12890
    Drewski

    “The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16
    Hope she likes doing drops (10ft easily) because it's a work out to pedal around the trails. Weighted a medium last week... 40 lbs. Are you sure the bikes not for you?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    103

    It's for her

    I’m sure is for her. I have VP Free which I got before the SX Trail II came out. She is into DH/FR. I don't think she will do 10' drop any time soon, but she really likes doing 2' - 4' drops and DH stuff. Also, she wants to keep up with the rest of the crew we ride with, which is kind of tough to do on her Stumpy M4. It’s a great bike, but it’s not made for FR/DH. The Enduro is the lightest FR/DH bike on the market with very good specs.
    Anyone that rides that bike – is the bike forgiving? How does it handle? Any feedback…please. Any women that ride bike?
    Drewski

    “The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pm55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    83
    You might want to look at the Enduro Pro or Expert. They weigh less and can easily take a diet of 4'+ drops. I have an Enduro and my girl rides a Stumpy. When she tried my bike out she found the extra weight to be a burden on the climbs. I guess it depends on how strong your wife is.

    Pete

    If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    103

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by pm55
    You might want to look at the Enduro Pro or Expert. They weigh less and can easily take a diet of 4'+ drops. I have an Enduro and my girl rides a Stumpy. When she tried my bike out she found the extra weight to be a burden on the climbs. I guess it depends on how strong your wife is.
    Hmmm....I need to take to the LBS so she can check out both bikes. She also has Stumpy which she will keep for XC. Thanks
    Drewski

    “The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

  6. #6
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    Welllllllllll....hmmmmm

    Ok, first off that bike as pictured does not weigh 40lbs!
    Somewhere around 37! Close enough I guess. I thought about different builds...it can get down to close 35 if you try really hard and spend a LOT of money! The few folks that have ridden they new trails absolutely love them. They were designed to have a low CG, and you can see the frame does and I hear they ride thet way also! The measurements/geo are def. into the FR/DH range, but it is not an all out DH bike. Mind you it can take some serious abuse though!
    You should decide what type of riding your wife is really going to do on this bike! Is this her only bike? Does she have a more dedicated XC/AM bike? If so, maybe a used small DH rig would be best. It really sucks to have a brand new beautiful bike to learn DH on. Stuff gets trashed really bad when learning drops and DH riding! If she does not want to go big all the time and still wants to ride XC, then the other enduros are great as they can take a pretty good beating too!
    Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have any ride time on mine yet. I am still collecting the last bits that I want! Hopefully will be here in 3 weeks!
    Maybe QRANC will show up in here sometime. We ordered ours at the same time and he got his as a full rig ready to go. He has some ride time on his now with diff forks also.

    Good luck. Maybe you can ride both types of enduros and make your (her ) decision based on that?

    Booner

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Have her go to a bike store and ride one. If she likes that longer cockpit style, then a regular Enduro might be more her style. They are a little lighter, and as others have mentioned, they can take the abuse. They will pedal easier on the uphills also. A friend of mine continually does 6foot drops on his Enduro, with a fox 36 air on the front. They are still a pretty beefy XC/AM bike.
    However I too thought the SX was supposed to come in at the 38lb range. 40lbs seems a little high. Maybe a different build with bigger tires, DH tubes?

    I get my SX Trail II on Friday, so I will be reporting back on Friday night, with the first maiden voyage notes!

    Ash

  8. #8
    83 feet less per minute
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    731
    Wouldn't she be better off on an earlier model Enduro? I have an '03 Enduro frame for sale in the classifieds (#94460). It has a Pushed Itch Switch shock. Could be built up fairly light. The price is right. But if you plan on borrowing it and going big, that's another story.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    it might not seem like it to some people, but the SX Trail II is a true freeride bike, even with 6.6 inches of travel. if she can do 4 footers on a stumpy she can get a regular enduro like the expert, and plus the shock and fork will take the abuse, if she is carefull she will be able to do drops like 10 to tranny with just an enduro expert. unless she is racing or doing cranworx, she wouldn't need an SXT 2 or 1

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    156
    I would go for the 06 Enduro Pro or Expert and replace the stock tires with Maxxis Minion 2.5's which aren't too heavy and she will be able to run lower pressures with the downhill casings, and will be more stable with more rotating mass. The bike will be close to 5 lbs lighter than the SX trail and also has a granny in case you want to climb to the downhill. The other big advantage is that with the air suspension you can dial it in for her weight. If you are going to climb the 36 Talas can be lowered which makes a big difference on long cimbs. Unless she is really strong and agressive the lighter wheelset should hold up fine.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16
    I was suprised by the weight too. I had a local bike store weigh the stock SX II meduim, they used the digital scale that was on one of there bike stands, and it came in at 39.5 lbs. So with that much weight and no granny gear, going up hill is not alot of fun. I know because I own a BigHit. I was looking for a bike that could be pedaled better up hill, and for me this was not the bike, but it was a ton of fun on a test ride!!!!
    Just test rode the Enduro Expert in a Large, I think the weight is around 34 lbs. This bike can be pedaled up hill and rides very similiar to my 03 Enduro (have only tried 2' jump so far). I'll be taking another test ride sometime next week bringing my other 2 bikes to compare too, but so far the new Enduro Expert seems like the bike to get.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    just wanted to say, the sxt II is very temping to get, but don't make that mistake of... OMG, this isn't the bike for me. since it is overkill for about 4 footers, unless your talking 10 then get the expert. Just my input.

  13. #13
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    yeah

    I agree with 167. (sorry to hear about your cracked frame dude!)
    On the weight of the sx, weird?!?! I had my lbs weigh the frame. Came in at 8.73 with shock, chainstay protection, seat-post and collar! Not too bad. I am not sure what weighs so much on the stock bike but, I had a Turner rfx that weighed 8.6lbs (frame and shock) and that baby weighed about 36 when I was done with it. And it wasn't a weight weenie build either? For this reason, I got the sx trail II frame alone! Not that I will be able to get the weight below 38 but, at least I can put what I really want on there with that kind of weight penalty!

    Go for the enduro Expert or go for DH rig!! My 0.02!

    Booner

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    I agree with 167. (sorry to hear about your cracked frame dude!)
    On the weight of the sx, weird?!?! I had my lbs weigh the frame. Came in at 8.73 with shock, chainstay protection, seat-post and collar! Not too bad. I am not sure what weighs so much on the stock bike but, I had a Turner rfx that weighed 8.6lbs (frame and shock) and that baby weighed about 36 when I was done with it. And it wasn't a weight weenie build either? For this reason, I got the sx trail II frame alone! Not that I will be able to get the weight below 38 but, at least I can put what I really want on there with that kind of weight penalty!

    Go for the enduro Expert or go for DH rig!! My 0.02!

    Booner
    chainstay is being taken care off, they are going to send out pics to specailized since the pics i took are enough to convince them... so my bike shop says, and it's too cold to ride and it's only out for a week, props to my bike shop though. i'm pretty sure you could get the weight for an SXT2 under 38, but thats with a couple Gs down, which i find it not worth while, spending 2 grand on a few pounds, just lose the rotation weight and you will be better off. just my input

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Got my SX Trail II today.

    First of all....what an awesome bike. It pedals like a dream, however thats comparing it to a Demo9. Its hard to image that it pedals the way it does. I dialed the propedal in, and pedaled up a hill with ease. Its really that good.
    The Fox Van R is really nice also. Very plush. Feesl great.

    So I got the Large and it is completely stock, except for some new ODI Rogue grips. On a digital scale it weighed 39.44 lbs, however it feels alot lighter than that. The 2.3 tires it comes with are beefy also. Look more like a 2.6...at least.

    I really think this could be the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Its hard to say, as its still early, however so far, it seems too good to be true. More to come later.

    Ash

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Got my SX Trail II today.

    First of all....what an awesome bike. It pedals like a dream, however thats comparing it to a Demo9. Its hard to image that it pedals the way it does. I dialed the propedal in, and pedaled up a hill with ease. Its really that good.
    The Fox Van R is really nice also. Very plush. Feesl great.

    So I got the Large and it is completely stock, except for some new ODI Rogue grips. On a digital scale it weighed 39.44 lbs, however it feels alot lighter than that. The 2.3 tires it comes with are beefy also. Look more like a 2.6...at least.

    I really think this could be the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Its hard to say, as its still early, however so far, it seems too good to be true. More to come later.

    Ash
    Congrats on your new bike! now post some pics. i just brought my SX Trail(2005) to the shop today, but if you ask me i think the Enduro line is one of the best. About the specialized tires, they are always big, i got 2.4s and they look like 2.6s easily, but all of my specialized tires wearout fast.the SXT II is truly one of the perfect bikes if you huck things often. so is the air model(expert), but it just isn't ment to go as big. i do plan on either a demo 8 or sxt 2 in the year 07/08. anyways, enjoy your bike!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Congrats on your new bike! now post some pics. i just brought my SX Trail(2005) to the shop today, but if you ask me i think the Enduro line is one of the best. About the specialized tires, they are always big, i got 2.4s and they look like 2.6s easily, but all of my specialized tires wearout fast.the SXT II is truly one of the perfect bikes if you huck things often. so is the air model(expert), but it just isn't ment to go as big. i do plan on either a demo 8 or sxt 2 in the year 07/08. anyways, enjoy your bike!!

    Thats funny. I saw an 05 SX trail in the shop where I picked my bike up today! It could be yours! Are you in Seattle?

    Funny thing about the SX2 is that the DHX does not have an air top up system. Its completely flush on that end of the reservoir. I kind of like that, cause now I don't have to check it before every ride. It does actually say on Fox's website, that its not included on 2006 Enduro's.

    Yeah, the Demo8 does look good. I love my Demo9. Just big and burly, and you can run over anything. So stable at high speeds, its crazy. I think the 8 could be the way to go. My 9 might get neglected for a while now. Oh well.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Thats funny. I saw an 05 SX trail in the shop where I picked my bike up today! It could be yours! Are you in Seattle?

    Funny thing about the SX2 is that the DHX does not have an air top up system. Its completely flush on that end of the reservoir. I kind of like that, cause now I don't have to check it before every ride. It does actually say on Fox's website, that its not included on 2006 Enduro's.

    Yeah, the Demo8 does look good. I love my Demo9. Just big and burly, and you can run over anything. So stable at high speeds, its crazy. I think the 8 could be the way to go. My 9 might get neglected for a while now. Oh well.
    i live on the east coast, in mass, about 45 mins from boston. so it's prolly not my bike, anyways what other bikes do you own, i mean a demo8 and 9 and an SXT2, you must be loaded!

  19. #19
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    Damn........

    That is a ton of bikes!
    Congrats in the trail2! How big a fella are ya? I'm 6ft and went for the medium?
    Let us know how this thing rides on diff. types of trail when you get a chance.
    I am just dying to ride mine Wish my wheels would get here sooner...

    Got any pics?

    Booner

  20. #20
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,147

    Not heavy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rider
    replace the stock tires with Maxxis Minion 2.5's which aren't too heavy
    1350g isn't too heavy? That's a full on dh tire...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Pics coming soon. Its been raining here in Seattle, so all I have been able to do is a bunch of street riding. The real ride will be tomorrow. It is supposed to be sunny!

    Boone, the medium will be absolutely perfect size for you. I am a little under 6'5 (94cm inseam) and went with the large. It fits really good. Practically perfect.

    Freerider, just the Demo9 and the SX2 for me. Just sold my 2003 Enduro. No Demo8 just yet. I ride nice bikes, and drive ****ty cars.....works out better that way for me, as I am not really into cars. To me, they are point A to B. You can have so much more fun on bikes.

    More to come tomorrow peeps.

    Ash

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    19
    Anyone have a picture of an Enduro SX Trail II in size XL? I've been looking at a Nomad but this bike is tempting.

  23. #23
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    Xl?

    Jeeze man are you a monster or what?
    My man above said he was 6'5 and the large is great for him?
    You must be like 7' tall or something?
    Anyway, yeah that is going to be one BIG focking bike! Guess it all depends on what you want to do with it?
    I don't know anyone, nor have I seen anyone with an XL...sorry dude!

    Good luck.

    Boone

    Powderrecon: you in seattle? I in Eugene OR! We should get these two bikes together some time an rip it up! Maybe after the first of the year (bike not done yet)? I have not been to falls city yet...hunt hint

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoRoller
    Anyone have a picture of an Enduro SX Trail II in size XL? I've been looking at a Nomad but this bike is tempting.
    Get the SX. I just rode mine for the first time today, off drops and dirt jumps. Words cannot describe how good this bike is. I am sure the Nomad is pretty sweet, however is there is such thing as the perfect bike, the SX is it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Ok. The SX went on the maiden voyage today.

    Its still early, however I believe this is the best bike I have ever had the chance to ride. I could not believe how smooth it was over jumps and drops. When I first got my Demo9, it was by far the best and most smooth ride ever. However the SX is a step ahead. It only took me 10-15 minutes before I was hitting all the bigger stuff, that I would hit with the Demo. I felt far more comfortable in the air, and landings felt more smooth, as you didnt sink into all that travel of the Demo. Dont get me wrong, I love my Demo9, and it will still provide great value up on Garbonzo, during the summer, however if their is such thing as a perfect all mountain bike, this is it. Its out of this world good. The fox 36 R, is rediculously good. I probably need a heavier spring, however its probably up there with the smoothest forks I have had the chance to ride. Very stiff also. No flex for a long travel single crown. The DHX 5.0 is in another world. Its very plush if you need it to be, however if you want to pedal around, or want a stiffer ride, you can adjust the pro-pedal on the fly. Its great.

    Worth every penny, + alot more.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by boone

    Powderrecon: you in seattle? I in Eugene OR! We should get these two bikes together some time an rip it up! Maybe after the first of the year (bike not done yet)? I have not been to falls city yet...hunt hint
    Hey Boone. Sure, I am up for a ride anytime. My email is powderrecon@comcast.net

    I think by falls city, you are talking about one of the more famous exits off i-90 that has north shore type bigg-ness to it. If you are, I would be happy to show you the area, however I would get be-headed for giving directions over the internet.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Ok. The SX went on the maiden voyage today.

    Its still early, however I believe this is the best bike I have ever had the chance to ride. I could not believe how smooth it was over jumps and drops. When I first got my Demo9, it was by far the best and most smooth ride ever. However the SX is a step ahead. It only took me 10-15 minutes before I was hitting all the bigger stuff, that I would hit with the Demo. I felt far more comfortable in the air, and landings felt more smooth, as you didnt sink into all that travel of the Demo. Dont get me wrong, I love my Demo9, and it will still provide great value up on Garbonzo, during the summer, however if their is such thing as a perfect all mountain bike, this is it. Its out of this world good. The fox 36 R, is rediculously good. I probably need a heavier spring, however its probably up there with the smoothest forks I have had the chance to ride. Very stiff also. No flex for a long travel single crown. The DHX 5.0 is in another world. Its very plush if you need it to be, however if you want to pedal around, or want a stiffer ride, you can adjust the pro-pedal on the fly. Its great.

    Worth every penny, + alot more.
    i may get one in about 2007 or so
    i'm planning on upgrading my current SXTrail, i can make it a light build over time or make it my Hucking bike. if i make it my hucking bike i might just the the SXT for 07. help me decide, cause i'm going to get a new fork, either a 36 talas or a van, if i get the talas i will prolly get the SXTrail for 2007 and then make my current bike lighters as in all mountain, idk yet, help me pic.

  28. #28
    Paper Street
    Reputation: zdfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Hey Boone. Sure, I am up for a ride anytime. My email is powderrecon@comcast.net

    I think by falls city, you are talking about one of the more famous exits off i-90 that has north shore type bigg-ness to it. If you are, I would be happy to show you the area, however I would get be-headed for giving directions over the internet.
    Actually he's talking about the area near Salem, Oregon known for Freeride biking.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Ok. The SX went on the maiden voyage today.

    Its still early, however I believe this is the best bike I have ever had the chance to ride. I could not believe how smooth it was over jumps and drops. When I first got my Demo9, it was by far the best and most smooth ride ever. However the SX is a step ahead. It only took me 10-15 minutes before I was hitting all the bigger stuff, that I would hit with the Demo. I felt far more comfortable in the air, and landings felt more smooth, as you didnt sink into all that travel of the Demo. Dont get me wrong, I love my Demo9, and it will still provide great value up on Garbonzo, during the summer, however if their is such thing as a perfect all mountain bike, this is it. Its out of this world good. The fox 36 R, is rediculously good. I probably need a heavier spring, however its probably up there with the smoothest forks I have had the chance to ride. Very stiff also. No flex for a long travel single crown. The DHX 5.0 is in another world. Its very plush if you need it to be, however if you want to pedal around, or want a stiffer ride, you can adjust the pro-pedal on the fly. Its great.

    Worth every penny, + alot more.
    How tall are you and what size did you get?? Thanks
    I have one coming soon and am real excited for it!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBFreerideCT
    How tall are you and what size did you get?? Thanks
    I have one coming soon and am real excited for it!
    A little under 6'5 and I got the Large.

    If I had of gone frame only, I might have got the XL (in a complete bike, the biggest you can get is the large, however the frame only offers an XL), however I am glad I didnt, as the Large fits me perfect. I measured my inseam, and its about 94cm.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    i may get one in about 2007 or so
    i'm planning on upgrading my current SXTrail, i can make it a light build over time or make it my Hucking bike. if i make it my hucking bike i might just the the SXT for 07. help me decide, cause i'm going to get a new fork, either a 36 talas or a van, if i get the talas i will prolly get the SXTrail for 2007 and then make my current bike lighters as in all mountain, idk yet, help me pic.
    Why are you considering a Talas? Do you do alot of XC type riding? If not, then just stick with the Van R or put a 150 66 on it. I was surprised at how good the Van R feels.

    Since you already have an SX Trail, you know how good they are. I am sure the 05 is just as sick of a bike as the 06, just not as beefy. Why cant your current setup be your hucking bike? How big do you huck?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Why are you considering a Talas? Do you do alot of XC type riding? If not, then just stick with the Van R or put a 150 66 on it. I was surprised at how good the Van R feels.

    Since you already have an SX Trail, you know how good they are. I am sure the 05 is just as sick of a bike as the 06, just not as beefy. Why cant your current setup be your hucking bike? How big do you huck?
    I don't do that much XC, i plan on a talas to make it lighter and right now i just do stuff about 5-6 feet, i plan on going bigger, but in the future i plan on a more huckable bike only if i make my Current bike more lighter for all mountain, if not don't i might get a more huck oriented bike. but i think i will just keep the bike and get a 36 vanRC and some avid brakes. btw i plan on hucking stuff about 10ish feet by nextyear, maybe even more. idk what i am going to do yeat, but as for as i am concered i will just rebuild my SXT with new components like rims and fork and such. that .6 travel in the rear won't make a big difference anyways.

  33. #33
    MDJ
    MDJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    A little under 6'5 and I got the Large.

    If I had of gone frame only, I might have got the XL (in a complete bike, the biggest you can get is the large, however the frame only offers an XL), however I am glad I didnt, as the Large fits me perfect. I measured my inseam, and its about 94cm.

    So how does that L feel when you have to do some pedalling? Is it a bit tight? I'm sure the large is great going down but I wonder how it feels when you have to pedal. I'm 6'3" and am planning on getting the XL. Should I rethink my decision??

    Here is my reasoning. The XL in the SX Trail is sized between the XL and L in the regluar Enduro line. So a Large I'm guessing is between a L and M in a regular Enduro I currently have a XL in the old-style Enduro frame and I push it further into the freeride realm than I should and it doesn't seem to big, even with the longer stem. I did ride an L Enduro and it felt too cramped while climbing.

    Of course, the L would probably be closer to my old M1 in size. I guess it depends on how much climbing you have to endure to enjoy the fun stuff.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ
    So how does that L feel when you have to do some pedalling? Is it a bit tight? I'm sure the large is great going down but I wonder how it feels when you have to pedal. I'm 6'3" and am planning on getting the XL. Should I rethink my decision??

    Here is my reasoning. The XL in the SX Trail is sized between the XL and L in the regluar Enduro line. So a Large I'm guessing is between a L and M in a regular Enduro I currently have a XL in the old-style Enduro frame and I push it further into the freeride realm than I should and it doesn't seem to big, even with the longer stem. I did ride an L Enduro and it felt too cramped while climbing.

    Of course, the L would probably be closer to my old M1 in size. I guess it depends on how much climbing you have to endure to enjoy the fun stuff.
    If an L in an Enduro was too cramped for you, then dont get the L in the SX. For that matter, the SX in the XL might be about the same as the Enduro L. Dont quote me, however its got to be pretty close.

    The Large SX is easy to pedal. However keep in mind when I say that, I am not a XC rider. The first bike I owned was a 2002 Enduro in an XL. REALLY LONG. Then a Demo9 Large, and now the SX. So I am really used to pedaling the shorter cockpited bikes. If I was to get an Enduro again, it would be the L, possibly the medium. Those Enduros are soooooo long.

    Also keep in mind that the times I have had to pedal the bike, is to and from the car lot. However those experiences have been good. I dont feel cramped.

    I too was going to get the XL in the SX, however when I looked at the specs, the Large was the same top tube as the Large Demo9. And my Large Demo9 fits me perfect, so it was an easy decision.

    If you are used to riding Enduros, then you will probably be very comfortable on the XL SX, and wont think its too long. You will probably really enjoy that length. However if you got the Large, you would probably be just as happy, and maybe even learn to ride shorter cockpited bikes. It just all depends on "your" riding style.

    Go to a store, and ride an 05, if you know a dealer that has one in stock. They will probably have a Medium. You will be VERY surprised at how well you fit in it.

    I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions if needed.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    19
    I too am thinking of getting the SX in XL. Reason being that the TT is 638 mm, same as the XL Stumpjumper FSR. SO with a 120mm stem it should feel great on those hour long climbs up the mountains of SW Colorado. I got on a Large Enduro Expert today and the seat looked way up off the bike in the climbing position but it was ridable. I'm 6'2 and 160, 35in. inseam I think. Kind of rode around on both the L and XL expert model and felt good on both. Better on the XL when the fork was dropped and better on the large in full fork extension. SO I'm thinking SX is right in the middle and I get a little more (.6in.) cush in the back. This bike is going to bomb down some hills but I've got to peddle it up there first. Any body do any extended technical climbing on this rig or am I just all together nuts for considering it.
    Last edited by DurangoRoller; 11-29-2005 at 10:18 AM.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoRoller
    I too am thinking of getting the SX in XL. Reason being that the TT is 638 mm, same as the XL Stumpjumper FSR. SO with a 120mm stem it should feel great on those hour long climbs up the mountains of SW Colorado. I got on a Large Enduro Expert today and the seat looked way up off the bike in the climbing position but it was ridable. I'm 6'2 and 160, 35in. inseam I think. Kind of road around on both the L and XL expert model and felt good on both. Better on the XL when the fork was dropped and better on the large in full fork extension. SO I'm thinking SX is right in the middle and I get a little more (.6in.) cush in the back. This bike is going to bomb down some hills but I've got to peddle it up there first. Any body do any extended technical climbing on this rig or am I just all together nuts for considering it.
    Your not nuts for considering it, however its not 33lb Enduro Pro either. An XL SX might hit the 40lb mark.

    Just keep in mind, that this is a full on FR bike. Its designed to go up (slowly), so you can bomb anything on the way down.

    The Van R cant be locked out either, and being a nice and plush fork, its going to bob on you. Also keep in mind that the DHX 5.0 does not have an air assist on this bike. So you can't top it up and mike it nice and stiff. Even though the pro-pedal adjustment works well, it still does bob.

    If you riding is split 50/50 (XC/FR) and you only have the one bike, I would push you towards the Enduro Expert if you are not hitting anything bigger than 6 feet. However if the majority of your riding is stunt orientated, with the occasional climb, then the SX is the way to go. It can take a beating and then some.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    19
    Yes, I see your point. SX is overkill and would be a drag on the big climb. I like the geometry a lot better but everything else on it is wrong. The Enduro feels so great as it is much more torsionally ridged than other bikes. It begs you to slam it threw rock gardens with reckless abandon. I'll have to find a dirt demo to hone in on the proper size. Thanks for the imput on the SX!

  38. #38
    MDJ
    MDJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    Durango,

    I have the same issues as you. My head tells me that I should get the Enduro Pro but my heart says get the SX. The Pro is much more practical for my riding, but being an ex-, long-time DH racer I would really like to have the burlier bike and coils.

    My favorite ride (Demo in Norcal) is basically a 4 mile climb, 4 mile descent and stunt-fest, and then a 4 mile climb back out. It would be painful on the SX esxept for the middle part. However, with the SX, I would be comfortable taking it up to Northstar (I don't have a DH bike anymore) and it would also be fun for the Downieville shuttles.

    Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince the wife that I need 2 bikes.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tarekith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    The Enduro Pro is still a pretty beefy bike IMO, I don't think it's THAT much more fragile than the SX. It would take some big drops to do some damage to the Pro, no?
    Tarekith.com

    '12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

  40. #40
    MDJ
    MDJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    The Pro is plenty beefy. I don't have any issues with the frame or the components being fragile. I was referring more to the fact that the SX is coil- as opposed to air-sprung, and it has beefier wheels and tires. The SX is just set up better for FR/DH type riding, not that the Pro couldn't handle it.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kcavtca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    312

    I'm about to get an Enduro, and you all got me guessing again

    I rode some '05 Enduro's, and was going to go all crazy on an '06 SX (haven't touched one yet), but reality is I'm coming off a 12 yr old hardtail and don't imagine myself looking to do drops more than 6-8ft...just won't feel natural after growing up stuggling over roots (I'm 32 and was a big into riding from '87- mid 90's). I can only afford one nice bike, and after shopping lots last summer am set on the Enduro frame...just not sure which one. I'll do more testing, but I'll ask here whether you all have heard much about the '06 talas 36 vs last years with all the problems. And any other nudging one way or the other is something I'm open too...I enjoy the chat while I wait.

    -kcavt

  42. #42
    Bike Breaker.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,762

    Go the enduro

    The 'normal' enduro will suit you down to the ground and I reckon great value esp as a bought bike as you get the fox forks. I would love to do my enduro 06 justice by jumping drop offs of 4 foot. I it's going to be your only bike will be lighter and a good shop will take care of the wheels if you need them tightened and true. My enduro has been faultless at the mo for my do-it-all bike of hard cross country and soon freeride stuff when they do it down this way. I have a steel hardtail for my winter night riding so I know I'll keep this enduro for 3 years now as it is so versatile. On the spesh catalog the sx has it's own page and of riding between the normal enduro and the Big hit. I suspect my riding at the moment could have been covered by the stumpjumper but I have more potential for learning more rougher riding on the ednuro.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kcavtca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    312

    catnash - sounds like we have the same idea

    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    I suspect my riding at the moment could have been covered by the stumpjumper but I have more potential for learning more rougher riding on the ednuro.
    I was long considering a stumpy too since i love the snappyness that mimicks my old ride. I, like you, want to go bigger though and I just moved to the San Francisco so I'm going versitile.

    I also learned last night that the 3 click Talas isn't far off, and that's a huge bonus to me. I'm going to check that talas I buy now would be upgradeable (I'm fully betting it would be), and that might just seal the deal...and make my lbs think I'm schitzo. I want a bike that can carve the twities better than a full FR bike when I want it to, and the SX doesn't really fit that bill when you look at the wheelbase. I'm almost 6'2", so I have to ride a L at least. I would like the cockpit space on an XL, but the turning is just that much slower so I'll probably opt for L and just have a longer stem for XC oriented days.

    -kcavt

  44. #44
    MDJ
    MDJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    kcavtca, it sounds like the Enduro would be the right call for you. Stay away from the SX because it isn't very versatile. I want the SX but then the reasoning part of my brain takes over again and I realize that the Enduro is the better way to go (unless...maybe...if I keep my '03 Enduro, then maybe the SX would make sense...). Being in SF now you will be riding similar trails as me and you'll see why the Enduro is popular here. That is unless you spend a lot of time on the trails with the loooong fireroad climbs. On those, the stumpy is much better.

    Take the Large on a climb and make sure it has the room that you need. I rode a Large up a fireroad and it felt a little cramped for me but was fun on the downhill. I'm just under 6'3". And I typically like smaller bikes (from my Dh days). I'm guessing you could go either way depending on your preferences.

    By the way, I like Vermont and Cali too. The Mt Snow DH course used to be my favorite, at least when it wasn't raining. Cali doesn't have the grassy, loamy soil of back east. It was such a great feeling hearing the knobbies ripping into the grass while going through a sketchy off-camber turn at speed with the bike leaned all the way over. The traction could be amazing. It took me a while to adjust to the hardpack out here. Of course, the Santa Cruz mountains has some decent soil when you get back into the redwoods.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •