Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Enduro SX Trail II

What do you guys think about this bike? I want to get it for my wife.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12890
    Drewski

“The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hope she likes doing drops (10ft easily) because it's a work out to pedal around the trails. Weighted a medium last week... 40 lbs. Are you sure the bikes not for you?

mtbr member
    May 2004

It's for her

I’m sure is for her. I have VP Free which I got before the SX Trail II came out. She is into DH/FR. I don't think she will do 10' drop any time soon, but she really likes doing 2' - 4' drops and DH stuff. Also, she wants to keep up with the rest of the crew we ride with, which is kind of tough to do on her Stumpy M4. It’s a great bike, but it’s not made for FR/DH. The Enduro is the lightest FR/DH bike on the market with very good specs.
    Anyone that rides that bike – is the bike forgiving? How does it handle? Any feedback…please. Any women that ride bike?
    Drewski

mtbr member
    You might want to look at the Enduro Pro or Expert. They weigh less and can easily take a diet of 4'+ drops. I have an Enduro and my girl rides a Stumpy. When she tried my bike out she found the extra weight to be a burden on the climbs. I guess it depends on how strong your wife is.

Pete

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pm55
    You might want to look at the Enduro Pro or Expert. They weigh less and can easily take a diet of 4'+ drops. I have an Enduro and my girl rides a Stumpy. When she tried my bike out she found the extra weight to be a burden on the climbs. I guess it depends on how strong your wife is.
    Hmmm....I need to take to the LBS so she can check out both bikes. She also has Stumpy which she will keep for XC. Thanks
    Drewski

a tight kick sound

Welllllllllll....hmmmmm

Ok, first off that bike as pictured does not weigh 40lbs!
    Somewhere around 37! Close enough I guess. I thought about different builds...it can get down to close 35 if you try really hard and spend a LOT of money! The few folks that have ridden they new trails absolutely love them. They were designed to have a low CG, and you can see the frame does and I hear they ride thet way also! The measurements/geo are def. into the FR/DH range, but it is not an all out DH bike. Mind you it can take some serious abuse though!
    You should decide what type of riding your wife is really going to do on this bike! Is this her only bike? Does she have a more dedicated XC/AM bike? If so, maybe a used small DH rig would be best. It really sucks to have a brand new beautiful bike to learn DH on. Stuff gets trashed really bad when learning drops and DH riding! If she does not want to go big all the time and still wants to ride XC, then the other enduros are great as they can take a pretty good beating too!
    Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have any ride time on mine yet. I am still collecting the last bits that I want! Hopefully will be here in 3 weeks!
    Maybe QRANC will show up in here sometime. We ordered ours at the same time and he got his as a full rig ready to go. He has some ride time on his now with diff forks also.

Good luck. Maybe you can ride both types of enduros and make your (her ) decision based on that?

Booner

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Have her go to a bike store and ride one. If she likes that longer cockpit style, then a regular Enduro might be more her style. They are a little lighter, and as others have mentioned, they can take the abuse. They will pedal easier on the uphills also. A friend of mine continually does 6foot drops on his Enduro, with a fox 36 air on the front. They are still a pretty beefy XC/AM bike.
    However I too thought the SX was supposed to come in at the 38lb range. 40lbs seems a little high. Maybe a different build with bigger tires, DH tubes?

I get my SX Trail II on Friday, so I will be reporting back on Friday night, with the first maiden voyage notes!

Ash

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    Wouldn't she be better off on an earlier model Enduro? I have an '03 Enduro frame for sale in the classifieds (#94460). It has a Pushed Itch Switch shock. Could be built up fairly light. The price is right. But if you plan on borrowing it and going big, that's another story.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    it might not seem like it to some people, but the SX Trail II is a true freeride bike, even with 6.6 inches of travel. if she can do 4 footers on a stumpy she can get a regular enduro like the expert, and plus the shock and fork will take the abuse, if she is carefull she will be able to do drops like 10 to tranny with just an enduro expert. unless she is racing or doing cranworx, she wouldn't need an SXT 2 or 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would go for the 06 Enduro Pro or Expert and replace the stock tires with Maxxis Minion 2.5's which aren't too heavy and she will be able to run lower pressures with the downhill casings, and will be more stable with more rotating mass. The bike will be close to 5 lbs lighter than the SX trail and also has a granny in case you want to climb to the downhill. The other big advantage is that with the air suspension you can dial it in for her weight. If you are going to climb the 36 Talas can be lowered which makes a big difference on long cimbs. Unless she is really strong and agressive the lighter wheelset should hold up fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was suprised by the weight too. I had a local bike store weigh the stock SX II meduim, they used the digital scale that was on one of there bike stands, and it came in at 39.5 lbs. So with that much weight and no granny gear, going up hill is not alot of fun. I know because I own a BigHit. I was looking for a bike that could be pedaled better up hill, and for me this was not the bike, but it was a ton of fun on a test ride!!!!
    Just test rode the Enduro Expert in a Large, I think the weight is around 34 lbs. This bike can be pedaled up hill and rides very similiar to my 03 Enduro (have only tried 2' jump so far). I'll be taking another test ride sometime next week bringing my other 2 bikes to compare too, but so far the new Enduro Expert seems like the bike to get.

mtbr member
    just wanted to say, the sxt II is very temping to get, but don't make that mistake of... OMG, this isn't the bike for me. since it is overkill for about 4 footers, unless your talking 10 then get the expert. Just my input.

a tight kick sound

yeah

I agree with 167. (sorry to hear about your cracked frame dude!)
    On the weight of the sx, weird?!?! I had my lbs weigh the frame. Came in at 8.73 with shock, chainstay protection, seat-post and collar! Not too bad. I am not sure what weighs so much on the stock bike but, I had a Turner rfx that weighed 8.6lbs (frame and shock) and that baby weighed about 36 when I was done with it. And it wasn't a weight weenie build either? For this reason, I got the sx trail II frame alone! Not that I will be able to get the weight below 38 but, at least I can put what I really want on there with that kind of weight penalty!

Go for the enduro Expert or go for DH rig!! My 0.02!

Booner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    I agree with 167. (sorry to hear about your cracked frame dude!)
    On the weight of the sx, weird?!?! I had my lbs weigh the frame. Came in at 8.73 with shock, chainstay protection, seat-post and collar! Not too bad. I am not sure what weighs so much on the stock bike but, I had a Turner rfx that weighed 8.6lbs (frame and shock) and that baby weighed about 36 when I was done with it. And it wasn't a weight weenie build either? For this reason, I got the sx trail II frame alone! Not that I will be able to get the weight below 38 but, at least I can put what I really want on there with that kind of weight penalty!

Go for the enduro Expert or go for DH rig!! My 0.02!

Booner
    chainstay is being taken care off, they are going to send out pics to specailized since the pics i took are enough to convince them... so my bike shop says, and it's too cold to ride and it's only out for a week, props to my bike shop though. i'm pretty sure you could get the weight for an SXT2 under 38, but thats with a couple Gs down, which i find it not worth while, spending 2 grand on a few pounds, just lose the rotation weight and you will be better off. just my input

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got my SX Trail II today.

First of all....what an awesome bike. It pedals like a dream, however thats comparing it to a Demo9. Its hard to image that it pedals the way it does. I dialed the propedal in, and pedaled up a hill with ease. Its really that good.
    The Fox Van R is really nice also. Very plush. Feesl great.

So I got the Large and it is completely stock, except for some new ODI Rogue grips. On a digital scale it weighed 39.44 lbs, however it feels alot lighter than that. The 2.3 tires it comes with are beefy also. Look more like a 2.6...at least.

I really think this could be the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Its hard to say, as its still early, however so far, it seems too good to be true. More to come later.

Ash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Got my SX Trail II today.

First of all....what an awesome bike. It pedals like a dream, however thats comparing it to a Demo9. Its hard to image that it pedals the way it does. I dialed the propedal in, and pedaled up a hill with ease. Its really that good.
    The Fox Van R is really nice also. Very plush. Feesl great.

So I got the Large and it is completely stock, except for some new ODI Rogue grips. On a digital scale it weighed 39.44 lbs, however it feels alot lighter than that. The 2.3 tires it comes with are beefy also. Look more like a 2.6...at least.

I really think this could be the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Its hard to say, as its still early, however so far, it seems too good to be true. More to come later.

Ash
    Congrats on your new bike! now post some pics. i just brought my SX Trail(2005) to the shop today, but if you ask me i think the Enduro line is one of the best. About the specialized tires, they are always big, i got 2.4s and they look like 2.6s easily, but all of my specialized tires wearout fast.the SXT II is truly one of the perfect bikes if you huck things often. so is the air model(expert), but it just isn't ment to go as big. i do plan on either a demo 8 or sxt 2 in the year 07/08. anyways, enjoy your bike!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Congrats on your new bike! now post some pics. i just brought my SX Trail(2005) to the shop today, but if you ask me i think the Enduro line is one of the best. About the specialized tires, they are always big, i got 2.4s and they look like 2.6s easily, but all of my specialized tires wearout fast.the SXT II is truly one of the perfect bikes if you huck things often. so is the air model(expert), but it just isn't ment to go as big. i do plan on either a demo 8 or sxt 2 in the year 07/08. anyways, enjoy your bike!!

Thats funny. I saw an 05 SX trail in the shop where I picked my bike up today! It could be yours! Are you in Seattle?

Funny thing about the SX2 is that the DHX does not have an air top up system. Its completely flush on that end of the reservoir. I kind of like that, cause now I don't have to check it before every ride. It does actually say on Fox's website, that its not included on 2006 Enduro's.

Yeah, the Demo8 does look good. I love my Demo9. Just big and burly, and you can run over anything. So stable at high speeds, its crazy. I think the 8 could be the way to go. My 9 might get neglected for a while now. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderrecon
    Thats funny. I saw an 05 SX trail in the shop where I picked my bike up today! It could be yours! Are you in Seattle?

Funny thing about the SX2 is that the DHX does not have an air top up system. Its completely flush on that end of the reservoir. I kind of like that, cause now I don't have to check it before every ride. It does actually say on Fox's website, that its not included on 2006 Enduro's.

Yeah, the Demo8 does look good. I love my Demo9. Just big and burly, and you can run over anything. So stable at high speeds, its crazy. I think the 8 could be the way to go. My 9 might get neglected for a while now. Oh well.
    i live on the east coast, in mass, about 45 mins from boston. so it's prolly not my bike, anyways what other bikes do you own, i mean a demo8 and 9 and an SXT2, you must be loaded!

a tight kick sound

Damn........

That is a ton of bikes!
    Congrats in the trail2! How big a fella are ya? I'm 6ft and went for the medium?
    Let us know how this thing rides on diff. types of trail when you get a chance.
    I am just dying to ride mine Wish my wheels would get here sooner...

Got any pics?

Booner

Stand back

Not heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rider
    replace the stock tires with Maxxis Minion 2.5's which aren't too heavy
    1350g isn't too heavy? That's a full on dh tire...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pics coming soon. Its been raining here in Seattle, so all I have been able to do is a bunch of street riding. The real ride will be tomorrow. It is supposed to be sunny!

Boone, the medium will be absolutely perfect size for you. I am a little under 6'5 (94cm inseam) and went with the large. It fits really good. Practically perfect.

Freerider, just the Demo9 and the SX2 for me. Just sold my 2003 Enduro. No Demo8 just yet. I ride nice bikes, and drive shitty cars.....works out better that way for me, as I am not really into cars. To me, they are point A to B. You can have so much more fun on bikes.

More to come tomorrow peeps.

Ash

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone have a picture of an Enduro SX Trail II in size XL? I've been looking at a Nomad but this bike is tempting.

a tight kick sound

Xl?

Jeeze man are you a monster or what?
    My man above said he was 6'5 and the large is great for him?
    You must be like 7' tall or something?
    Anyway, yeah that is going to be one BIG focking bike! Guess it all depends on what you want to do with it?
    I don't know anyone, nor have I seen anyone with an XL...sorry dude!

Good luck.

Boone

Powderrecon: you in seattle? I in Eugene OR! We should get these two bikes together some time an rip it up! Maybe after the first of the year (bike not done yet)? I have not been to falls city yet...hunt hint

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoRoller
    Anyone have a picture of an Enduro SX Trail II in size XL? I've been looking at a Nomad but this bike is tempting.
    Get the SX. I just rode mine for the first time today, off drops and dirt jumps. Words cannot describe how good this bike is. I am sure the Nomad is pretty sweet, however is there is such thing as the perfect bike, the SX is it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok. The SX went on the maiden voyage today.

Its still early, however I believe this is the best bike I have ever had the chance to ride. I could not believe how smooth it was over jumps and drops. When I first got my Demo9, it was by far the best and most smooth ride ever. However the SX is a step ahead. It only took me 10-15 minutes before I was hitting all the bigger stuff, that I would hit with the Demo. I felt far more comfortable in the air, and landings felt more smooth, as you didnt sink into all that travel of the Demo. Dont get me wrong, I love my Demo9, and it will still provide great value up on Garbonzo, during the summer, however if their is such thing as a perfect all mountain bike, this is it. Its out of this world good. The fox 36 R, is rediculously good. I probably need a heavier spring, however its probably up there with the smoothest forks I have had the chance to ride. Very stiff also. No flex for a long travel single crown. The DHX 5.0 is in another world. Its very plush if you need it to be, however if you want to pedal around, or want a stiffer ride, you can adjust the pro-pedal on the fly. Its great.

Worth every penny, + alot more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast