ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Enduro sx trail 06 as a TRUE all around bike??

Im considering this frame in sustitution of a FSR elite 99, I already own a Banshee Scream so this would be my second rig or the bike I would use mainly as an all around bike..is it an overkill as a trail bike?? I mean, I plan to do equally some climbing and pedalling as long as downhilling,from 2 hours to maybe 4 hours of ride one or two times a week, I have thought to match the frame with a Marzocchi z1 light ETA 06 (15cm)to lock the front suspension when climbing and put the old components of the FSR Elite frame which arent very light but they are not on the heavy side as well, would it be too heavy as an all around bike or would I notice too much difference between my old FSR and this frame in terms of weight and pedalling?I would choose the enduro s-works frame but firtst,I dont like air in shocks and second, Ive heard horror stories about the fox air shock getting stuck...Im also considering other frames but I want to have opinions about this frame in this forum...cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't own a SX, but took one for a test ride a little while ago and came away very impressed. It pedals very well with no noticeable bobbing while seated and the 6.6" of travel sucks everything up, big or small. I don't think the SX is over kill if you want a bike that can handle all types of riding.

I am contemplating an SX Trail (among others) and would throw my 5.5" Pike on one. It would steepen things up a bit, but not too much?, as the SX is already slacker than the new Enduro.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    SXtrail i wouldn't get if you really do trails. if you have a scream i'd just get the regular one. but that just my opinon, it's also your size and weight, if you are like around 200lbs+ then maybe you could look at the SXtrail. but i think a expert would fit you fine.

mtbr member
    Can someone please clarify the differences between the Enduro, Enduro SX, Enduro SX Trail? Jeez this is all confusing. Especially when the Enduro has 140mm of rear travel, the SX has 106mm, and the SX Trail has 167mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the enduro is more focused on aggressive trail riding, the sx is a 4x/ds bike, and the sx trail wich i am a proud new owner of is focused twards freeride. the sx trail is like a rock, i had a big hit and the sx trail seems to be a lot better for jumping and drops

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    SXtrail i wouldn't get if you really do trails. if you have a scream i'd just get the regular one. but that just my opinon, it's also your size and weight, if you are like around 200lbs+ then maybe you could look at the SXtrail. but i think a expert would fit you fine.
    At first, I thought about buying the s-works enduro frame but the air shock and the difference in weight between the sxT and the S-works that is minimal convinced me to consider the sx trail frame,which only weighs 8,74lbs I believe. I weigh about 185lbs w/o gear and Im 5,7"...take into account that I would buy only the frame and put a Marzocchi z1 ETA light to climb better using the ETA feature...the thing that concerns me most is if the rear travel would be too much to pedal but ronny says it has little bobbing when pedalling...more opinions??

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ban
    At first, I thought about buying the s-works enduro frame but the air shock and the difference in weight between the sxT and the S-works that is minimal convinced me to consider the sx trail frame,which only weighs 8,74lbs I believe. I weigh about 185lbs w/o gear and Im 5,7"...take into account that I would buy only the frame and put a Marzocchi z1 ETA light to climb better using the ETA feature...the thing that concerns me most is if the rear travel would be too much to pedal but ronny says it has little bobbing when pedalling...more opinions??

I couldn't decide what bike I should get :
    - Sx trial 1 (167mm)
    - Enduro Elite (138mm)

After searching for as much info as I could find, I found out that the weight difference between those frames isn't that big.
    Most of the weight difference is in the air vs coil shock.
    Some people claim that the SX trail frame is slightly beefed up (real life comparison.)
    The geo of the SX trail with your 6" Z1 would be around 1* steeper than the original geo.

I think the main reason to decide will be the amount of travel, the rest is almost minimal.

I ordered the SX trail 1 (complete bike) because my other bike (4X) has 115mm travel.
    The difference in travel between the Enduro Elite and my 4x would be too small + I prefer a coil shock.
    My bike comes in ....next month, so I can't tell much about the bobbing.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by preppie
    I couldn't decide what bike I should get :
    - Sx trial 1 (167mm)
    - Enduro Elite (138mm)

After searching for as much info as I could find, I found out that the weight difference between those frames isn't that big.
    Most of the weight difference is in the air vs coil shock.
    Some people claim that the SX trail frame is slightly beefed up (real life comparison.)
    The geo of the SX trail with your 6" Z1 would be around 1* steeper than the original geo.

I think the main reason to decide will be the amount of travel, the rest is almost minimal.

I ordered the SX trail 1 (complete bike) because my other bike (4X) has 115mm travel.
    The difference in travel between the Enduro Elite and my 4x would be too small + I prefer a coil shock.
    My bike comes in ....next month, so I can't tell much about the bobbing.
    Yes I agree mostly with you, the main difference between both frames seems to be shock and it seems that the coil shock has proved to be more reliable....and as for the bobbing I suppose that the shock regulations could improve the pedalling depending on the terrain...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes I agree mostly with you, the main difference between both frames seems to be shock and it seems that the coil shock has proved to be more reliable....and as for the bobbing I suppose that the shock regulations could improve the pedalling depending on the terrain...
    I only did a street test, but there was no noticeable bobbing when seated and I ran through all the gears. Obvously, there was some movement while standing and cranking, but really not that much for a 6.6" travel bike. I rode it down and off of some stairs and it felt very smooth. It is a really nice frame.

A rider by the name of D-Wang over here just got a Trail and is using it as a do everything bike and gave it a quick review. He mentioned that it climbed surprisingly well for a 6.6" travel bike.

With the right fork and wheel/tire selection, the SX would be a great burly trail bike. It is not any different than the Enduro, aside from the HA and coil shock. The tt lenghts seem to be shorter on the SX according to the Specialized website. The frame weight is not too heavy either. The medium felt pretty comfortable for me at 5'10.5". For myself, I would much rather have the DHX coil. The DHX air just isn't there yet imo. Way too many people having problems with the air model.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I only did a street test, but there was no noticeable bobbing when seated and I ran through all the gears. Obvously, there was some movement while standing and cranking, but really not that much for a 6.6" travel bike. I rode it down and off of some stairs and it felt very smooth. It is a really nice frame.

A rider by the name of D-Wang over here just got a Trail and is using it as a do everything bike and gave it a quick review. He mentioned that it climbed surprisingly well for a 6.6" travel bike.

With the right fork and wheel/tire selection, the SX would be a great burly trail bike. It is not any different than the Enduro, aside from the HA and coil shock. The tt lenghts seem to be shorter on the SX according to the Specialized website. The frame weight is not too heavy either. The medium felt pretty comfortable for me at 5'10.5". For myself, I would much rather have the DHX coil. The DHX air just isn't there yet imo. Way too many people having problems with the air model.
    Okay thanks for the info, Im 5,7", do you think a M size of the sx trail frame would fit my height??cheers!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ..I'm in exactly the same position and have been undecided between the s-works and SX trail frames myself.

After trawling the web for weeks trying to get accurate frame weights (why are Spec so coy about this??) I finally spoke to a guy in a shop which had stocked both frames (in large) and had done a comparison. He couldn't recall the exact weights offhand but said the shop staff were shocked at the minimal weight difference, so minimal, he thought the coil/air shock was the only significant variant.

I'm after a lighter frame that will pedal better (coming from an RM Switch) but have some pretty hardcore parts, Fox 36 Vans, Diabolus etc. and am starting to think the SX is a much better option for me...

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbroken1
    ..I'm in exactly the same position and have been undecided between the s-works and SX trail frames myself.

After trawling the web for weeks trying to get accurate frame weights (why are Spec so coy about this??) I finally spoke to a guy in a shop which had stocked both frames (in large) and had done a comparison. He couldn't recall the exact weights offhand but said the shop staff were shocked at the minimal weight difference, so minimal, he thought the coil/air shock was the only significant variant.

I'm after a lighter frame that will pedal better (coming from an RM Switch) but have some pretty hardcore parts, Fox 36 Vans, Diabolus etc. and am starting to think the SX is a much better option for me...
    Yes the difference in weight between the s-works frame and the sx trail frame seems to be the coil shock in the last one, Im right now more worried about the amount of travel (6,6") and its effectiviness when pedalling than the weight in itself, Im considering the santa cruz heckler frame with a coil shock too which seems to be a bit lighter (its cheaper too) but it has less travel and its single pivot (I have ridden multi pivots frames all my life so Im worried about if Im going to note too much difference..)so I dont know what to do right now....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes the difference in weight between the s-works frame and the sx trail frame seems to be the coil shock in the last one, Im right now more worried about the amount of travel (6,6") and its effectiviness when pedalling than the weight in itself, Im considering the santa cruz heckler frame with a coil shock too which seems to be a bit lighter (its cheaper too) but it has less travel and its single pivot (I have ridden multi pivots frames all my life so Im worried about if Im going to note too much difference..)so I dont know what to do right now....
    ...well, the concensus on the whole Enduro range is that it pedals really well. I think the shock position and FSR will make this a noticeable leap in pedalability from my Switch. The Heckler is a wicked bike but a bit lightweight for me. I'm tempted by the Nomad too but they are silly expensive in the UK...

I think the biggest issue with the SX is the slacker head angle, and I think I can live with that...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ...and BTW, why do these posts appear below mine when they were posted a week ago??

VVVVVVVV

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ...bollocks!!