Thread: Enduro SX

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    that bike is sIcK. the interweb knows more about it than inside sales at spesh hq! I've got an older sx slope that i would sell for this! maybe. tried to order it thru my lbs and there isn't even a sku for it. anybody have any other inside info on cost? $1400 range?
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    I ran into a Specialized rider and his father at Sea Otter and they took the time to chat about the new bike. I only got to pick it up and push on the bars in a parking lot, but even from that it was was clear that there are serious improvements over the '09-12 generation SX (I ride an '11). It's lighter, no longer has the slopestyle features like the exageratedly curved top tube or over-built looking tubes (pure gated racer now), and the folks who have them say it's great.

The '12 with a non-Kashima RP23 was $1850 MSRP. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is $1900-2000 frame-only. It's a limited run, and they know that the people who want one will buy it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    I ran into a Specialized rider and his father at Sea Otter and they took the time to chat about the new bike. I only got to pick it up and push on the bars in a parking lot, but even from that it was was clear that there are serious improvements over the '09-12 generation SX (I ride an '11). It's lighter, no longer has the slopestyle features like the exageratedly curved top tube or over-built looking tubes (pure gated racer now), and the folks who have them say it's great.

The '12 with a non-Kashima RP23 was $1850 MSRP. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is $1900-2000 frame-only. It's a limited run, and they know that the people who want one will buy it.
    Yea, I'm on a 2010. I'm hoping the newer generation is more progressive. My LBS told me $1950, frame only. I'm not putting down the buck until I sit on one first. That and the fact that I just had mine PUSHed and it feels a lot better. I still think it's the best do-it-all bike out there. Mine is pretty much perfect right now. A trail bike that I can DJ on.

mtbr member
    Hey OffCamber, could you give a little run-down of what Push did? I was running a huge amount of pressure in the spring (close to 275psi, if a cheap shock pump is actually accurate in that range) and it still felt too easy to blow through travel. Now I have a Fox volume spacer and at feels better (245ish psi), but the Propedal is really weak, the rebound seems overwhelmed.

As much as I want the new one, I think I'll be on the '11 for at least another year. Gotta make it work as well as possible. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I asked them to make it more progressive, able to run less psi, and tune the rebound to work better at higher pressures. I'm about 200 with gear and was running 2 volume reducers and 275 psi. The shock now "feels" more progressive but still moves though some travel but not as much. If that makes sense. I'm running 250 psi that was recommended by them. No volume reducers and the rebound works well at the higher pressure. You also can tell the difference in the propedal settings now. Although, I think it would be perfect if it almost locked out in the stiffist setting, with a blow off. If I new this bike was coming out I probably would have waited. The 2010 does all that I want it to but the new one is a beauty.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    $2000, just had my order confirmed today. They are nearly sold out already so if you want one get in quick.....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    $2000, just had my order confirmed today. They are nearly sold out already so if you want one get in quick.....
    Review please. Not gonna happen this year for me but maybe next. Mainly, does it blow through the travel. The geometry is very similar with a little shorter TT. Thanks in advance.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Sure thing, ill stick up a build thread and review once its here....currently trying to decide on parts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    Sure thing, ill stick up a build thread and review once its here....currently trying to decide on parts.
    I've seen your builds before. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm running a Rev, that I've converted to u-turn coil. Mine is also my trail bike that I DJ with.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    You guys really dig your SX's? I have the ability to pick up a new '12 frame for super cheap.. I was going to build up a dedicated DJ hardtail, but when this fell into my lap, I thought about the ability to build a DJ bike that I could take on the rides with the girl that would be no fun on the real trail bike..

Do any of you actually hit big djs on yours (8+ft)? I know that they wont be like riding a cromo dj bike with slammed chanistays and super steep Headtubes.. But I was wondering if it held its own on bigger djs.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    swan3609 i ride my sx all the time on dj's quite a bit over 8 feet. And as far as the head angle goes my sx is only 1 degree slack from my blk mrkt mob hardtail bike. I run my forks at 100 mm and my forks have a straight steer tube so that keeps the head angle steep. The chainstays are longer but still short enough to manual easily. It really feels stable in the air and its very playfull as an all around bike. The only thing questionable in my opinion is I have to run crazy high psi in the rear shock because it sinks into the face of the lip. I come from a bmx background so the shock plushness is a feeling I dont prefer but others may. At 300 psi in my shock and a fox shock large volume reducer its firm enough for big jump faces. The links below are a great write up I read before I bought mine and they helped me alot on my decision to buy one. Good luck

2011 Specialized SX ? Part 1: JUMPS | Blister Gear Review ? Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

2011 Specialized SX ? Part 2: TRAILS | Blister Gear Review ? Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Kidwoo, the guy behind those reviews know his ****, definitely worth a read if you are thinking of an SX.