mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Enduro or stumpjumper?

So here's my dilemma. I'm looking to switch from my S-Works epic. Why? I've become bored with straight XC riding and want to do more all-mountain/freeride stuff. I'd like to be able to do the cool downhills down a ski mountain, but also be able to ride UP the hills to reap the downhill rewards and take any terrain on the way down. I'm probably too much of a ***** for huge drops, but I ride most anything else.

So what are my choices?
    Stumpjumper FSR 120/130 - Can it downhill well enough for what I want?
    S-Works Enuduro - Can it uphill well enough
    2004 S-Works Enduro with the brain shock?
    Other - Like a Blur or Turner?

What do you guys think? I live in New England FYI, and I wouldnt mind to do some super D racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

if money is no object....

i would go for a turner 5-spot becase they pedal so well and you can choose the way you want to build it. the stumpjumper is also a great bike, but i like the turner better for technical pedaling, climbing rough sections and going downhill fast...the enduro could be interesting with 6 inches of travel. based on your riding style you would probably want to build it up fairly light. the blur LT might be interesting, but i am partial to fsr suspension. choosing the new ride sounds like a fun project.....test ride them all if you can

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    So here's my dilemma. I'm looking to switch from my S-Works epic. Why? I've become bored with straight XC riding and want to do more all-mountain/freeride stuff. I'd like to be able to do the cool downhills down a ski mountain, but also be able to ride UP the hills to reap the downhill rewards and take any terrain on the way down. I'm probably too much of a ***** for huge drops, but I ride most anything else.

So what are my choices?
    Stumpjumper FSR 120/130 - Can it downhill well enough for what I want?
    S-Works Enuduro - Can it uphill well enough
    2004 S-Works Enduro with the brain shock?
    Other - Like a Blur or Turner?

What do you guys think? I live in New England FYI, and I wouldnt mind to do some super D racing.

mechmann_mtb
    my enduro expert isn't super light but it climbs just fine! if you look on the SoCal thread my wife just posted some pictures of our saturday trip to Hurkey Creek in Idylwild, CA. there is a good shot of me climbing a boulder (more difficult than what it looks) with my Enduro.

i wish i could afford to get an S-works one and trick it out, but when we bought bikes i had to buy two (one for the wife) so i got the expert Enduro and she got the expert SJ.

if you are a bigger guy like me, the SJ feels like a toy. the fork just feels flimsy compared to my 36 but i am 5'11" and currently 205lbs (hope to hit 195 before the winter hits).

i wouldn't want to be bombing downhills with anything less than my enduro!