Loser

Enduro SL - two maintenance questions

1) The derailler cables are making wear marks on the lower crown. I tried putting clear tape over the area, but it won't stick to the cast crown.

2) The bumpers that are supposed to keep the fork from contacting the frame move around a lot. I check them constantly, they actually don't move much during a ride unless I hit them or something, but I'm concerned that they will move, I will crash and dent the frame.

Anyone have a solution to these minor issues?

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I wrapped my cables with black hockey tape where they rest on the lower crown, and so far that's worked. Of course, the tape rubs off on the crown, but it comes off.

Not sure about the bumpers, the ones on my SL and my wife's are really tight so they stay in place on their own.

You are right to be concerned about denting the downtube, my bumper was aligned so the corner was hitting the frame instead of it hitting flush, and it put a little dent in the DT.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Use the furry side of velcro with an adhesive back to prevent cable rubs. Clean the areas where you will stick the velcro with some sore of degreaser. I use a quick swipe of acetone.

Move the bumpers all the way to the top, that way they bump on a square edge instead of a flat surface. Then tack them down to the top with a tiny bit of Shoe Goo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    you gotta get those bumpers at the top like PB is saying , ------if you leave them down at the lower tube it will dent the tube badly ,

the crease on the tt is way stronger !

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Try also some alcohol or hand sanitiser under the bumpers, when it dries, they should stay in place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wrapped the top of my lower crown with Racer Tape on either side, among other areas that get heavy brush action. It's pretty clean you can barley even see it unless you are looking for it.

The Other Dude
    i have sprayed hair spray on the bumpers for my dual crown forks and it seems to hold them in place pretty well.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    A zip tie placed around the stantion tight to the bottom of the fork bumper stops it dropping too low

Wait, what!?
    Heres another maintenance tip! Make sure the bolts (that say "FSR" on them) on your rear triangle, that hold the chain stay to the upper part of the triangle (what is the correct word for that anyways) is tight before every ride! Im talking lock tight that biotch! You dont want to lose one of those bolts like I did, because it will cost you 72 bucks to get a new one. You cant buy just the bolt from Spech, so I had to buy the whole bolt kit.

Loser

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Heres another maintenance tip! Make sure the bolts (that say "FSR" on them) on your rear triangle, that hold the chain stay to the upper part of the triangle (what is the correct word for that anyways) is tight before every ride! Im talking lock tight that biotch! You dont want to lose one of those bolts like I did, because it will cost you 72 bucks to get a new one. You cant buy just the bolt from Spech, so I had to buy the whole bolt kit.
    I found my right side bolt loose as well. Luckily I caught it before it fell out. If any of us need bolts we know who to ask!

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Wait, what!?
    Yea, same side I had problems with!

Please, feel free to ask if you guys ever need a certain bolt. There are a few I can see would be nice to have around, but I know there are some pieces that I will probably have no use for!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    For the lower crown I used 3M helicopter tape and that stayed on no problems. I also used hair spray on the stancion bumpers and they never slipped while I had the enduro.